Vikings on History Channel 2016 - present

wvu80

9 hours ago, pbphoto said:

Translation: they couldn't renegotiate their contracts ;-)

Actually it seems more guided by history than that (aka, not like GoT). The circumstances may be embellished or have some creative liberties, but overall the story seems to run in parallel to the historical records we have available.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I think you can catch past seasons on Netflix.  You can catch some (not all) of the current season on historychannel,com.

Other than that they just went into the mid-season hiatus, no more new shows on Wednesday.  I'm not sure when they resume.

I’ll look for it on Netflix and get started. 

I watched a couple of episodes, couldn't get into the rhythm of it at the time.

I am a big fan of Viking history, took a couple of courses on it, etc. and didn't catch the series at right time to catch the historical part of it.

Maybe first seasons are on netflix and I can start from beginning and ramp up.

It really amazes me how much of a difference it can make at what point you pick up a series can make a hugh difference in whether or not you stick with it.

Netflix has allowed me to go back and catch a lot of great series that I avoided because I was too late to the table.

Breaking Bad was one recent example.

Didn’t they lose to Philadelphia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

VIKINGS Season 5, 2018-19

I've been watching all season, it's of the very few TV shows outside of sports that I follow.  Tonight was  Season 5 Ep 18 aired Jan 16, 2019 on the History Channel.

Usually it's an hour of gratuitous sex and violence, sometimes personal violence, sometimes army vs army.  Tonight it was just the up close and personal violence with lots of good old fashioned torture and killing of women, children and a baby.  King Ivar the Boneless left the baby born by his wife on the hillside to die because he was deformed.  Ivar was not the baby's father but he did not know that.

Dark dark dark.  Sheesh.   :ph34r2:

15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

VIKINGS Season 5, 2018-19

I've been watching all season, it's of the very few TV shows outside of sports that I follow.  Tonight was  Season 5 Ep 18 aired Jan 16, 2019 on the History Channel.

Usually it's an hour of gratuitous sex and violence, sometimes personal violence, sometimes army vs army.  Tonight it was just the up close and personal violence with lots of good old fashioned torture and killing of women, children and a baby.  King Ivar the Boneless left the baby born by his wife on the hillside to die because he was deformed.  Ivar was not the baby's father but he did not know that.

Dark dark dark.  Sheesh.   :ph34r2:

Ahh, you didn't watch all the way to the end. Ivar is shown holding his wife by the head and telling her she lied about him being the daddy. Next week mano a mano Ragnar's bastard son takes on one of the kings. HEADS UP!

Mark

5 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Ahh, you didn't watch all the way to the end.

Ivar is shown holding his wife by the head and telling her she lied about him being the daddy. Next week mano a mano Ragnar's bastard son takes on one of the kings. HEADS UP!   -Mark

LOL, yes I did!  :lol:

Per previous episodes Ivar knew that due to his "boneless" condition shall we say that he couldn't have sex, but he had declared himself a god.  His wife cut both their hands and mixed the blood and told Ivar the baby was a miracle child only a god could produce.  He didn't know she went out and shagged the first Viking she could find, got pregnant, then had the poor guy killed.

The teaser at the end showed Ivar confronting his wife, but he's not the brightest person in Denmark when it comes to biology.  I think he confronted his wife and I bet he will claim that since the baby was born deformed, that it was NOT the son of a god.  That's Dave Theory.  B)

Ubbe is not a bastard son, he is the son of Ragnar and his second wife  (not the first wife Laggetha who apparently lost, and then found her mind).  There is a bastard child, the English guy that showed up the last few episodes and was the son of Ragnor and I think the King's wife.  I'm not sure who the mother was, but the boy was exiled from the kingdom and has just showed back up to claim his legacy as a son of Ragnar.

22 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

LOL, yes I did!  :lol:

Per previous episodes Ivar knew that due to his "boneless" condition shall we say that he couldn't have sex, but he had declared himself a god.  His wife cut both their hands and mixed the blood and told Ivar the baby was a miracle child only a god could produce.  He didn't know she went out and shagged the first Viking she could find, got pregnant, then had the poor guy killed.

The teaser at the end showed Ivar confronting his wife, but he's not the brightest person in Denmark when it comes to biology.  I think he confronted his wife and I bet he will claim that since the baby was born deformed, that it was NOT the son of a god.  That's Dave Theory.  B)

Ubbe is not a bastard son, he is the son of Ragnar and his second wife  (not the first wife Laggetha who apparently lost, and then found her mind).  There is a bastard child, the English guy that showed up the last few episodes and was the son of Ragnor and I think the King's wife.  I'm not sure who the mother was, but the boy was exiled from the kingdom and has just showed back up to claim his legacy as a son of Ragnar.

Uh Doc, it's bonerless, not boneless. 😁

Uber? on a Viking ship? Yea he was Ragnar's son but I forgot it was from his second wife. That's when Bjern rode off with Lagatha. The English guy is the bastard with the Queen. Looks like he wins the one on one next week. 2 more episodes, it should get interesting

Mark

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Uh Doc, it's bonerless, not boneless. 😁

I stand corrected.  :lol:

+++

I tell you, I'm just waiting for something to go right!  Tonight's show was so dark, with the possible exception of Floki.  He has such courage and character in his present situation.  I'm thinking there's a bear in that cave, but they sure tease that he is about to discover something miraculous which may save the settlement.

Just now, wvu80 said:

I stand corrected.  :lol:

+++

I tell you, I'm just waiting for something to go right!  Tonight's show was so dark, with the possible exception of Floki.  He has such courage and character in his present situation.  I'm thinking there's a bear in that cave, but they sure tease that he is about to discover something miraculous which may save the settlement.

I prefer the old Floki. What did he say? He would make the guy's son cut his balls off and feed them to him before he abused his wife? 

Sweet revenge LOL

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I prefer the old Floki. What did he say? He would make the guy's son cut his balls off and feed them to him before he abused his wife? 

Floki's dispassionate description of what he "would" have done in his younger days, out-crazied the crazy guy. 

Dark. 

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, EmilC said:

What's Rollo up to? Still living in Paris with his hot Princess  of a wife?

I bet  he's getting soft and fat living the life.

Jimmy Buffett knows the answer: "He Went To Paris."

"He was impressive, young and aggressive, Saving the world on his own

But the warm summer breezes, the French wines and cheeses, put his ambition at bay

his summers and winters, scattered like splinters and 4 to 5 years slipped away....

• Like 2