Funk Audio Horn Subs

prerich

Considering i could build 2 THT's of any style with a nice amplifier in Black Walnut or many other hardwood choices for 1000's less i would say its just priced too high.

I find lots of high end subs are priced out of line for what you get, good for a laugh sometimes though.

I think US dollars but, I like Jason ideal better.

$5069 US dollars per a conversion table I found.  I'd like to see the insides.

I would too!!! I'm not in this league, but hey - its a new product! Now if I had great woodworking skills - I'd more than likely build my own speakers period!!!! 

Why would you need a 2.4kw amplifier in a horn sub?  I thought they're supposed to be more efficient.

For the uneducated it sounds impressive.

I have had people laugh when i mention 100 watt amplifier, i get the last laugh when i hook up the multimeter and show how much power is really needed to make the foundation jump for joy.

• Like 2

Lets see, if I divide by 6 and carry the 3 and .......................I could build 6 F-20's including the amps and have enough left over for a nice little vacation.  To each their own, and maybe if I was bleeding money I would purchase some of the outrageously overpriced gear that's out there, but I'm not, so I don't but if you got it, spend it.

Why would you need a 2.4kw amplifier in a horn sub? I thought they're supposed to be more efficient.

I have had people laugh when i mention 100 watt amplifier, i get the last laugh when i hook up the multimeter and show how much power is really needed to make the foundation jump for joy.

jason I rarely remember most of our conversations for some reason. I guess cause I don't chime in much on horn subs. So I have a pair of anarchy horn subs. They have a limited set on them at 100 watts. For music I can run them pretty hard. But when I'm watching movies it is pretty easy to hit the 100 watt limiter. Also that's even with a 25hz high pass with a 48db slope. So I know horn subs are efficenent but I've also got a buddy with a tht and we have his limiter set at 500 watts and we can get his to hit limiters as well also. I just don't get how it's so easy to do this but I always hear you say a 300 watt tht should be plenty for any bass head?

Just wondering

And also JTR orbit shifter. It's got a 4000 watt amp if I remember right. I've also seen one of those hit the limiters. Now that one I was covering my ears. It was LOUD!

Edited by Scrappydue

Why would you need a 2.4kw amplifier in a horn sub? I thought they're supposed to be more efficient.

jason I rarely most of our conversations for some reason. I guess cause I don't chime in much on horn subs. So I have a pair of anarchy horn subs. They have a limited set on them at 100 watts. For music I can run them pretty hard. But when I'm watching movies it is pretty easy to hit the 100 watt limiter. Also that's even with a 25hz high pass with a 48db slope. So I know horn subs are efficenent but I've also got a buddy with a tht and we have his limiter set at 500 watts and we can get his to hit limiters as well also. I just don't get how it's so easy to do this but I always hear you say a 300 watt tht should be plenty for any bass head?

Just wondering

And also JTR orbit shifter. It's got a 4000 watt amp if I remember right. I've also seen one of those hit the limiters. Now that one I was covering my ears. It was LOUD!

Anarchy subwoofers are tapped horns with too small a driver and too low tuning to have any substantial output, maybe OK in a small room i would guess.

The THT is limited to 28 volts using the recommended Dayton, anything more is wasted power and possibly overheating the voice coil.

I have never came close to maxing any of my BFM cabinets with the exception of the 8" Table Tuba long style and that was with bass heavy music overpowering the mains just to see what it could do.

What i would suggest if your friends THT is underwhelming would be to check it for leaks, this is the main cause of poor performance.

Placement is another factor to consider, at least one boundary will smooth response and improve output greatly.

• Like 1

How is a 6.5" tapped horn much different from a 8" table tuba?? I'm guessing table tuba isn't meant to have extension?

The Anarchy simply sacrifices SPL for frequency response.

The Table Tuba is similar to a tapped horn only rather than having the driver in the horn path the driver chamber itself acts as a port.

A 8" Table Tuba i would say is similar in output to a good ported 15" sub only sounds cleaner and can be crossed over higher without sounding muddy, perfect for say a set of Heresy's to keep the tight bass sounding tight and not bloated.

The 10" version outperforms any single 18" sub i ever heard and easily played right along with my La Scala's even with some power thrown at them.

Rooms i have tested these models in easily played into the mid 20 Hz but dropped off rather quickly after that, also needs no high pass filter because it was designed properly.

Low pass prevents higher frequency from playing out of it. But also a high pass must be set certain times. In this case my 6.5" driver would bottom out too quickly and have zero spl capability if it were trying to play a very low signal. Set it at 25 and limit the wattage and I can run them as hard as I can with zero worry of tearing anything up because my amp keeps it within its limits.