Landscape Drawing Software

Superdave

My next home project involves redesigning my rear deck and implementing an outdoor area that will have a kitchen, fireplace, firepit, and a hot-tub, along with additional hardscaping and landscaping.

I'm interested to hear any opinions on software that you have used in a similar way. I don't want to spend much on the software as I will be only using for this project.

• Moderators

It's been years since I have done anything like that, I played with software like that before but by now it's far outdated. Back when we were in the business I drew them without a computer for proposals when it was a commercial job and they had to be approved.

Sometimes it's easier with a cheap program that has a somewhat simple CAD program included, i said simple because some have a really tough learning curve.

The biggest problem we had was dealing with City Landscape Architects, they really knew the programs but not the plants as much,and they were not big on common sense. :mellow:  A simple example would be the plans call for a 3" caliper Oak tree, no problem but then they draw in the bed under the tree with plants that can only possibly live in shade and would burn up with a couple hours of full sun. They make the bed under the tree to match a tree 10+ years older than a 3" caliper trees actual size.  

Wish i could help more but we haven't done this in over 10 years and that long in computer stuff is a lifetime.

If you take your ideas to Lowes, they will sit down with you, sketch out your design on software, and their software will tell you how many materials in what size of what kind you will need.

I haven't done that in several years, but they did that for me with a deck.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Punch pro was the last one I used,I reinstalled on this computer I only use the CAD part,just checked it's from 2000 :o  :lol:

Punch pro was the last one I used,I reinstalled on this computer I only use the CAD part,just checked it's from 2000 :o  :lol:

OMG! Is the version they are selling that old, or is yours just that old?

I remember buying mine in a box from Office depot a LONG LONG time ago. It might have been 2000...

This looks just like what I might need.

Thanks for all the input folks!

• Moderators

JJK it's not the world I have problems with it's my head.  :blink: I get bored and create more projects, like the bar in the garden outside, someone gave me some old telephone poles. So I got to thinking (the real problem) and decided to build a 16'x24' bar area, but it is a good place to hang out.

JJK it's not the world I have problems with it's my head.  :blink: I get bored and create more projects, like the bar in the garden outside, someone gave me some old telephone poles. So I got to thinking (the real problem) and decided to build a 16'x24' bar area, but it is a good place to hang out.

You should make a thread....  Pictures please!    :emotion-22:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Since there are some plants I guess i could put some here, it's not done, I keep adding on and changing things. The front with vines climbing is in the summer, they are morning glory vines, I just like how they cover. Waterfall off the roof is just pumped from the pond, the backside of the bar has outlets and dimmer switches for the lights and led rope lights that can change colors under the edge of the bar that shine down, all you can see is the front of the bar lit and the ground around it, no lights. In the winter we build fires out behind the bar when it's cold.

It started as a place to sit in the shade and went from there, yes there are speakers under the roof by the ceiling behind the bar, Heresy's and they sound good out there especially when laying in a hammock. In the pic of the back ceiling the Heresy's are behind the net angled down.

Some pictures are at different stages of building, it's always changing and the plantings are not done.

We spend alot of time out there, and it's great for party's.

post-9700-0-72040000-1459837482_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-63120000-1459837528_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-03680000-1459837568_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-75720000-1459837615_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-79880000-1459837667_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-22640000-1459838756_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-07360000-1459838793_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-71600000-1459839776_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 3

I do not have software, but I do build outdoor recreation areas. I just draw them out the old fashioned way, with sketches, usually from photos from previous jobs. If you have any specific questions, let me know, especially about materials and procedures. Here's a few pics...

post-58190-0-11160000-1459839403_thumb.jpost-58190-0-80880000-1459839367_thumb.jpost-58190-0-71800000-1459839453_thumb.jpost-58190-0-16440000-1459839487_thumb.j

• Like 1

Those look great, I remember seeing them pic's but couldn't remember who did them, cool looking work I love the stone.

Thanks……I just recently starting taking photos of some of my jobs. That cultured stone is becoming popular. You can even glue it onto drywall.