Quick Comparison of RF and RF 7II

derrickdj1

I just purchased the RF 7 II's made in 2010.  My old RF 7's are from 03 with the original XO.  I did the transitor mod on the RF 7's but, change thing back several months ago.  I thought it took to much of the Hi's for my taste and wanted my original 7's back.  I knew the 7 II's had the XO lowered to around 1400 compared to 2200 for the 7's.  Slight toying with cabinet size and cosmetic but, nothing else is that different between the two speakers.

For the comparison I used the yaquin VK 2100 integrated amp, 80 watt hybird.  Tube preamp and SS rear along with my BDP, Samsung F 7500.  This was their best BDP when I got a couple of years ago and I can't say anything negative about the music quality.  Both speakers were ran full range.

Yesterday I Immediate detected a slight difference in the midrange in the 7 II's.  So, today I put them side by side for a better comparison.  I selected Celine Dion due to her vocal range, Rihanna since she has a distinct vocal quality and the music is well master for clarity and bass.  Soul Ballet was selected becuase some of it has big sound similar to an orchestra, nice acoustic guitar, and delicate passages. and Kevin Toney's Strut for a nice jazz recording.

First up, Celine Dion, Love Me Back to Life.  Both speakers did justice to this wonderful voice.  Nothing was missing from either speaker that I could detect.  Celine's voice had a slight edginess with the old RF 7's.  Don't take this has bad in no way.  It's actually a slightly more live sound similar to a concert.  The 7 II's appear to have oh so slightly more separation in the midrange and a slightly smoother top end.  Overall both get a 5 star mark.

Now Rihanna's new album Anti.  The most striking difference which is not by much is the bass.  The old 7's sounded tighter and hit a bit harder.  Remember, these are slight differences and nothing can be said to be a night and day difference.

Soul Ballet for a 180 degree change in music style.  This one has a wide dynamic Range and mostly all instruments.  The 7' II's had the edge hear.  Separation and the smoother presentation was the key.  Both speakers were well represented and the RF 7 was not far behind.

Kevin Toney's Strut, known for deep bass and a sparkling top end was the last one for this quick comparison.  The 7's had the Lo's and the 7 II's had the Hi's: both by a narrow margin.

One thing is clear, There is no doubt why the RF 7 and 7 II are flagships speakers.  Both have a well refined sound, easy to drive and wide dynamic range.  The new speaker has a slightly wider range listed in the spec's but, I could not detect any difference.  Most of us can't hear up at 24 kHz.

I like both speakers and unfortunately  don't need to keep both.  Cosmetically no difference really as far as I am concerned, I like either.  There are a few more blemished on the 7 II's compared to my 7's, which are near perfect except for two missing grill pegs.  You have to be looking for the blemishes and nothing stands out at a distance.  I wondered how good the XO were on the old 7's, darn good!  If anyone is looking to upgrade, I don't see how you could not be happy with either of these speakers!

post-50685-0-04520000-1459805378_thumb.j

post-50685-0-99640000-1459805427_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 6

The sub is 48 in. H X 2 ft wide X 2 ft deep, a little fellow. ;)  The 7 or 7 II will be ran has small XO at 50 Hz for HT and musci with the Pioneer Elite avr.  Speakers are full range with the tube hybird and a Niles switch box is used to change amps.

I wirte a reveiw on the RF 7's and the first question is how big is that sub.  That's funny.

post-50685-0-95360000-1459809539.gif

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Very nice review. I too didn't hear too much difference between the RF7 and RF7ii. The 7ii we just a bit more smooth in the top end but like you said, both are fantastic. I prefer the copper on the RF7ii.

• Like 2

I keep grills on so the look of the cones is not much of an issue.  The 7 II cones do match the RC 64 and RS 35's.  I wonder if the XO on the old 7's where showing any signs of aging, guess not after the comparison.  I like the bit of edginess on the old RF 7's.  I may be easier to please than some people.  I like the Forte's, LaScalas, Heresy and Cornwalls, Klf 20's.  There is enough of the Klipsch signature sound in all of them, lol.

• Like 1

To help hear just the speakers, some new wall Tx's are in order.  I just finished up four new wall Tx's.  The ones behind the 7's have small music symbols and the one by the dual cab sub have Star Wars, The Force Awakens them.  I don't have youthman photograph skill for better pic',s

These Tx's a 2X 4 with R 30 stuffed inside.  They are 4 in. deep.  There are 2x3 Tx's behind the subs in the room.

post-50685-0-43600000-1459887765_thumb.j

post-50685-0-36360000-1459887781_thumb.j

post-50685-0-46120000-1459887798_thumb.j

• Like 2

Good luck and come back with some new speakers.  I think you will be happy.  My wing man to pick up the RF 7 II's told a friend I was selling one pair of the speakers and he came by today and bought the RF 7's.

Edited by derrickdj1

The guy bought the RF 7's.  I told Jerry, the wing man for the ride to get the 7 II's that I put it up on CL last night so, his friend came by this afternoon.  I wanted to be able to compare the two sets of speakers more but, to late now.  I did let him do a side by side comparison so, later on he won't be in the what if camp on the newer speakers.

Edited by derrickdj1

• 3 weeks later...
One thing is clear, There is no doubt why the RF 7 and 7 II are flagships speakers. Both have a well refined sound, easy to drive and wide dynamic range.

I just saw this thread and want to compliment you on a great write-up! :emotion-21:

I've been around long enough to see a lot of claims being made and what you say above rings true...I would like to see a comparison done with the original RF-7s and then an RC-7 and RC-64II being A/B'd between the two.

Edited by Zen Traveler

Both have a well refined sound, easy to drive and wide dynamic range.

Definitely agree.  I was nervous when getting the 7ii, based on so many comments about needing lots of power for them.  I drive them with my 100wpc NAD T758 and they are spectacular.  I've driven my RP-280F with my 30wpc NAD integrated, which I'll also try on the 7ii.  Any high quality amp should be able to drive any of these speakers without issue.

7ii. Any high quality amp should be able to drive any of these speakers without issue.

I've been driving the speakers in my signature with an upper-end Denon AVR every night for over a dozen years and I have no issues except it forced me to buy a lot of source material over the years....

• Like 1