Did you see what I saw?

Arrow#422

18 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Sounds like perfect conditions for a snowmobile also 😃

NOPE - I love snow machines, but they are much better suited for 6-12 inches of fresh snow on top of a nice base layer of hard packed.  Ice sailing is best suited for rock hard, black, bare ice with no air bubbles in its structure.  Those are the fastest ice conditions for our sport.  Bare, black ice with a very thin water layer on top is even faster.  Any snow-covered ice sheet will be a much slower surface although imperfect or dimpled ice can yield somewhat faster conditions with a light dusting of snow as it helps fill in the low spots & makes for a more uniform surface.  Snow machines are unable to get much grip (even with studded tracks) on the ice I'm describing.  Think hockey rink ice (hard & smooth) and you'd be spot on for what we seek.  These boats can reach speeds 3-4 times the actual wind speed with good ice.  45-60mph is not unusual, and the larger "boats" (a loosely used term) can easily reach speeds in excess of 80mph.  Not bad using only a sail, razor sharp runner blades, and of course - there are no brakes!  :o  

IMG_0214.thumb.jpg.0d877672d507624017bbda196a72ff60.jpg

"Bubble boats" like these really test the boundaries of physics with their top notch aerodynamics & speed capabilities.

The enclosed cockpit on this one is a plus as it can incorporate heat, music, and even GPS for the larger lakes.  

Like anything else, how fast do you want to go & how deep are your pockets?!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Just now, Arrow#422 said:

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ele/d/grand-rapids-klipsch-heresy/7079512479.html

Tags show these are TH - SR - 70.

NOT mine.....

.53294683_ScreenShot2020-02-24at8_52_10PM.png.465f20508633fadf47a00932d12e41a5.png

I spoke with this gentleman.  They are teak underneath, but apparently took a beating.  They have been wrapped in solid oak, and a very, very nice job at that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...