heresy II to tangent 400 conversion need plans for tangent 400 speaker cabs

istics

I have read stuff on this website for a long time but this is my first post, so thanks in advance for any help.

I have a nice pair of heresy II's  but was thinking about having some tangent 400 cabs built and transferring the components of the herersy's to get better/lower LF. 

A) has anyone done this?

B ) does anyone have the plans for tangent 400's (cant seem to find any online)

C) if anyone has done this is it worth the effort?

Edited by istics

I can see why you want to do that, however instead of a giant project you could just add a pair of 10-12 inch powered subs for even greater effect. That is what I have done with each pair of Heresies I have and it worked out great.

Tim

• Like 1

I agree with the above, unless of course you're just dying to do the project or the Heresy II cabinets are trashed beyond repair and you just can't stand to look at them any more. Another option would be to sell the H II's and buy a pair of Forte's. Good luck! 

yeah I am always looking for some forte's at a good price. The only reason I am considering this is because due to the small cabinet volume of the heresy's they bottom out and distort with low freq at high volumes. I suppose another option would be to filter everything below say 50 hz....any thoughts on that solution?

I have one pwered sub which does help a lot and will eventually get another but still have the problem of the heresy's distorting low bass.

Build the larger cabinets...

It will take me a couple of days, but I can get you the dimensions of the Tangent 400 cabs, port sizes, etc. One of my co-workers has a pair of them.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

istics, I have have done what you want to do before and have had great results. There are couple ways to go about it.. 1. Dave Harris at Fastlane Audio has come up with a speaker cabinet design to use with the Heresy II components ( http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/ported-heresy-ii-project..html  ).. I am currently about 95% done with my set. 2.There is the John Albright Heresy Mod that utilizes the stock heresy cabinet modified with a port tube and crossover changes.. If you build a custom cabinet, i would recommend using a larger mid horn to open up the sound.. Upgrading the tweeter would also be an option. I am currently using a B&C DE10 for a tweeter and it sounds great. You can also use Bob Crites CS1.5 Cabinet also..

ported heresy ii.jpg

• Like 1

If you want a larger cabinet Heresy model Klipsch already did the work for you, its called the forte. I personally don't believe it would be worth the effort to do a straight H-II to Tangent conversion unless mods are implemented like the larger mid horn in the picture above. Unless of course you're just set on doing a project like this and even then I'd look into some of the mods mentioned above. I believe a forte or forte II would easily best the tangent you plan to build and they are some what easy and relatively cheap to find.

• Like 1

you could probably sell the HeresyII for twice the price of the Tangent 400...  Not worth the effort to modify.... and yep  a Forte would be even better as it uses a woofer that is better suited to a larger ported/passive radiator cabinet.  Or a Chorus. 

• 2 weeks later...

Istics, I've converted H1 speakers into a larger vented box using the T/S parameters to get lower base but the K-22 woofers have limited excursion as they are well suited for sealed enclosures.  Not sure about the H2 specs or xmax.

I would suggest going with the PE 8 x 12" horn for $10.00 (now $7.50).  Part number  270-304. These are bolt on horns but you can use screw on adaptors to make them fit.  I built new cabinets for two conversions I did.  See pics.

FRONT.JPG

• 5 months later...