Nurburgring hot lap in an Ariel Atom

Islander

Audi has been running a turbo diesel in that series for years and was winning everything until Toyota and then Porche re-entered the series over the last few years.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/motorsport/worksracing/racingcars/919-hybrid/featuresandspecs/

http://www.gizmag.com/porsche-919-hybrid-lmp1-vs-audi-r18-e-tron-quattro-vs-toyotats040/31081/

The all-black versions of those cars look more sinister than the Batmobile.  I haven't followed endurance car racing for some years, so the looks of the current cars are really unfamiliar to me.  They're the shape of things to come, I guess.

That's true, but most racetracks (with a few exceptions, like Le Mans, or real road courses, like the Isle of Man) don't have long enough straightaways to allow the highest performance bikes and cars to reach their top speeds. Most of the action takes place at speeds easily reachable by the Atom. Did you see how many Porsche 911s the Atom flew past? Most of them would have higher, maybe much higher, top speeds than the Atom, but with their lower cornering speeds, they would not have as hard a drive out of the corners as the Atom, and that makes a difference that adds up all the way to the next corner. To be fair, three of the 911s had white signs on their doors, so they may have been rent-a-racers, driven by first-timers on the track.

Nice video, thanks.

To be clear, all those Porsche's and 99.9 % of the rest of the vehicles (bikes too) where not being driven anywhere near to the same degree. The power to weight ration of the Atom is purpose built for track days.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That 919 Evo record lap of the Nordschleife is in the top 5 of the most impressive laps throughout history I have ever seen in my entire life.....When He hits the boost its acceleration is astonishing.... (849Kg), 1,872Lbs,  1160HP:emotion-21:....Thats 1.6lbs per 1Hp...:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Audio Android said:

That 919 Evo record lap of the Nordschleife is in the top 5 of the most impressive laps throughout history I have ever seen in my entire life.....When He hits the boost its acceleration is astonishing.... (849Kg), 1,872Lbs,  1160HP:emotion-21:....Thats 1.6lbs per 1Hp...:ph34r:

I think electric motors have arrived and of course Porsche is on the leading edge of the technology. 

My f

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I think electric motors have arrived and of course Porsche is on the leading edge of the technology. 

YES PORSCHE:emotion-21:.. I remember them developing that V4turbo in the 919 by building prototype single cylinder engines and dyno testing them...VERY cool little single cylinder turbo gems of the highest engineering.... Gorgeous little engines..:wub2:

22 minutes ago, Audio Android said:

My f

YES PORSCHE:emotion-21:.. I remember them developing that V4turbo in the 919 by building prototype single cylinder engines and dyno testing them...VERY cool little single cylinder turbo gems of the highest engineering.... Gorgeous little engines..:wub2:

My wife drives a Macan S.  It's an incredible piece of engineering.