When a Blown channel is not blown.

Taz

A couple years are so I was running a 9090DB at 11-1200 on the volume.

Speaker output wires for left channel shorted ( + to - ) and left Khorn quit singing.

Dang, hooked up another receiver and set the db aside.

Sent it in to be restored.

Left speaker worked when it arrived after shipping.

Anyone have any Ideas what may have happened?

Should I have the output transistors replaced just in case?

Any thoughts?

Check your fuses first.

Cycle all your front panel stuff a few times as well, may just be dirty contacts.

Easy stuff first before you get into replacing components.

Checked the fuses and they were fine.  I did not however power it up again.

I've already shipped it.  Will have other work done also (LED lights) and ????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 9090DB has fuse resistors on the amp boards that like to open up. If they are not all the way open, it could cause intermittent issues. Could be several things causing the channel to not work though:

Dirty Relay

Dolby Board Pass-throughs

Solder connection

Dirty controls

I had pretty much the same issue just last month with my Yam CA-2010 ~ no output from left channel.  Amp tech found a defective relay in the volume control circuit that was the cause of the problem. While in there he also replaced some marginal performing resistors, installed some LEDs for the power meters, cleaned all switches and adjusted biases/outputs to specs.  And while the amp was in the shop I refinished the cover.  All is well now.  Hope yours goes ok.

~

post-27088-0-20020000-1460941566_thumb.j

Edited by scalawag
  • Like 2

I had pretty much the same issue just last month with my Yam CA-2010 ~ no output from left channel.  Amp tech found a defective relay in the volume control circuit that was the cause of the problem. While in there he also replaced some marginal performing resistors, installed some LEDs for the power meters, cleaned all switches and adjusted biases/outputs to specs.  All is well now.  Hope yours goes ok.

~

I remember when I had one...loved it!

• 3 months later...

I had a similar problem on my old MX-A5000 amp... All the channels booted up, but were distorted. I rebooted the amp and this time the audio was there but fell silent slowly over less than a minute. I took it in for service and the repair Tech said all the solder joints needed to be redone as they were all bad. $350 later the amp was returned and worked flawlessly again. Hopefully yours is not bad solder joints!