heresy II sub speaker stands anyone built any?

istics

I've been thinking about building a set of subs to use as speaker stands for a pair of heresy II's , has anyone tried this? 12" or 15" subs? if anyone has done this and would care to share thier box design and results I'd love to see it.

Thanks in advance guys

• Like 1

That's not actually a bad idea.  Build them the same width and depth as the Heresys and tall enough to put the tweeters at ear level while your sitting.  Build it sealed.  You can always partition some space off inside if the volume is too big for the driver you use.

yeah I was thinking make them just bigger than the herersy cabs with a lip on the top of the sub cabinet to let the heresy sit into (so it wont rattle off)

I can get my hands on a pair of faital 18FH500's but I must admit that speaker cab design is not my thing hence my ask for help.

I must admit that speaker cab design is not my thing hence my ask for help.

If you go sealed, it's easy.  The driver manufacturer normally lists a recommended box volume.  Subtract bracing and driver displacement from your total box volume to get actual volume.  That's all there is to it.  If you can multiply w x h x d you can figure it out.

Edited by CECAA850

That's a big pro speaker. Frequency response starts kinda high for a home sub. If you are only playing music, then it would be good. You're looking at 35Hz -3db in a 24"x24"x24" enclosure (internal dimensions). The rolloff is pretty steep 22Hz is -15db. You will need a HPF, and your max db will be 119db at 35Hz. You will need a 500 watt plate amp for each, and you will have two 4.6" long 4" wide ports per enclosure. 

If you build a horn loaded sub with that driver, you will get much higher output, but no better frequency response. As I stated before, this is a pro driver. 

If you build sealed with that driver, it will have a 4.6 cu ft enclosure, it will be 62.5Hz -3db. That is not a sub, it's a bass bin.

You need to find a different driver if you are building for home theater use.

thanks mustang guy and CECAA850!!! yeah I was wondering about the faital knowing that it was a sound reinforcement sub. Mustang guy do you have any suggestions on what drivers might pair well with some heresy II's?

CECCAA850 I think that bass cab would be a bit out of place in my living room LOL, So maybe a 12" driver would be better suited and smaller.

I have looked into this previously and would recommend these options.

If sealed use these. 12" x2

Ported option  10" x2

8 Ohm Impedance will allow you to run them both off one subwoofer amplifier.

Oddly enough, I have that exact set up! The 12" Dayton with Heresey's sitting on top. Used the 8 ohm version since I wanted to drive two with one amp. Sound great together. I did port mine though.

post-60988-0-25360000-1459986276_thumb.j

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 4

Those are good drivers. 

What dimensions do you want the sub to have width and height? Those seem like the two most important measurements, and the depth will be whatever works for the volume calculations.

Jason's sealed 12" drivers would like 1.54 cu ft enclosure.

The 10" drivers recommended volume is 2.82 cu ft for ported and would require two 2" ports 11" long to tune to ~22Hz.

These enclosure volumes are INSIDE DIMENSIONS.

Edited by mustang guy

Jason sealed 12" in 1.54 cu ft sealed -3db at 37Hz and -8db at 25Hz.  Max 107db at 37Hz before excursion with just under 350 watts. (81db efficiency)

Jason's ported 10" in 2.82 cuft ported with 2 - 11" long 2" ports -3db at 20Hz. Max 102db at 20Hz before excursion with just under 350 watts. You will need high pass protection for this sub. bessel 4th order 15Hz or minidsp with 48db/octave at 15Hz. (76db efficiency)

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Heresy is about 99db efficient. They are capable of 107 db with only 4 watts of power, and are capable of 102 db with less than 2 watts of power.  What this means is you need subs which are more capable if you are driving the Heresy's beyond a few watts.

People around here really like the Klipsch R-115SW subs. The dimensions  21.5" H x 19.5" W x 22.3" D, are good down to about 18Hz, and can do 122db which is about the exact max of the Heresy. They go for under $800 each at a Klipsch dealer. IMO, a good value for a proven sub.

Edited by mustang guy

They are nice drivers.

Don't forget to compensate for volume of driver & ports.

The ported version will be a bit larger, i recommend using a deeper cabinet if anything to keep the front of your sub/mains looking best but options are many.

If the above options exceed your budget there are other available options as well.

I think your sensitivity numbers are off, i will look into it more tomorrow if the OP is interested in the project.

By efficiency, I mean mean the level at 1 watt 1 meter at -3db lowest frequency, not the driver efficiency which would be 3db higher. It will correlate with the max spl based on that excursion limit. In the ported enclosure, the efficiency dips because of the HPF. Otherwise, the excursion limit would be reached at a much lower voltage for frequencies below 20Hz..