heresy II sub speaker stands anyone built any?

istics

By the sounds of it you are looking for a cool project, I took the short cut. I found a pair of cool oak end tables that almost match the color of my Heresies and the underside of the tables fit my subs almost perfectly. The Heresies sit on top and the subs have about an inch around their perimeter and sit on a tile floor so that the bass does not resonate into the table. They sound really good. I did the same with my slant Heresies with a pair of subs under some nice black end tables. Pretty much no fuss and inexpensive.

Tim

Edited by teaman
  • Like 1

Jason sealed 12" in 1.54 cu ft sealed -3db at 37Hz and -8db at 25Hz.  Max 107db at 37Hz before excursion with just under 350 watts. (81db efficiency)

Jason's ported 10" in 2.82 cuft ported with 2 - 11" long 2" ports -3db at 20Hz. Max 102db at 20Hz before excursion with just under 350 watts. You will need high pass protection for this sub. bessel 4th order 15Hz or minidsp with 48db/octave at 15Hz. (76db efficiency)

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Heresy is about 99db efficient. They are capable of 107 db with only 4 watts of power, and are capable of 102 db with less than 2 watts of power.  What this means is you need subs which are more capable if you are driving the Heresy's beyond a few watts.

People around here really like the Klipsch R-115SW subs. The dimensions  21.5" H x 19.5" W x 22.3" D, are good down to about 18Hz, and can do 122db which is about the exact max of the Heresy. They go for under $800 each at a Klipsch dealer. IMO, a good value for a proven sub.

You are not comparing apples to apples and in no way a pair of Heresy II are going to reach anywhere near 122dB.

Right. Good catch Jason. I think I might have picked that up from the R-115SW stats which I had opened. 

Here are the Klipsch provided numbers. Sensitivity and max output:

Heresy  96db / max 113 db

Heresy II 97db / max 114 db

Heresy II 99db / max 116 db

Instead of risking apples and oranges, I will let you just look at these grabs.

This is a Heresy box with a K-22 only compared to the sealed and ported subs from the Dayton drivers.

YXSBm4C.png

Here are the two different subs indicating the max SPL based on excursion limits. Note the HPF used on the ported enclosure. This sub would need this protection. 

n6j4SvN.png

Remember, I was indicating the max SPL at 20 Hz for the ported and 37 Hz for the sealed when I said 102 db and 107 db max. In looking at the graph above, the ported is about 108 db max above 25Hz and the sealed is about 110db max above 50Hz.

Thanks for all the feedback and yeah jason str I am interested. Mookie stl that set up looks real nice!!! did you build the cabinets yourself or are they premades?

If either of those Dayton options look good I'm happy to help.

Does this fit within your budget ?

Order up your drivers, amplifier, T nuts, terminal cups or binding posts ( whatever you prefer ) and some cabinet damping material ( many options here as well ) and some rubber feet.

Post some width & depth measurements and if you prefer to use a grille or not so i can draw you up a plan.

You will also need some 3/4" Baltic Birch, PL premium X3, 1 1/2" trim nails and a some clamps to hold it together while it dries and a can of Bondo and some sandpaper for your finishing.

Screws are another option but will make more work when it comes down to your finishing.

If you plan to finish them with Duratex order some of that as well with your PE supplies.

Edit: you will need a quart of some good oil primer and roller if you use Duratex as it does not adhere well to Bondo.

If you plan to do the grille option order up some grille cloth with your PE supplies or you can pick something up from your local fabric store if you prefer.

Post back with any questions you may have or are ready for your next step.

Edited by jason str

Thanks for all the feedback and yeah jason str I am interested. Mookie stl that set up looks real nice!!! did you build the cabinets yourself or are they premades?

sorry haven't been on in a while. I built the cabinets myself, no kit. Originally made them sealed but oversized the cabinets in case I decided to port, which I did end up doing. Sounds very nice to me. Did you end up doing anything?  After reading Jason's list of things you need, it sounded like a big project, but it really isn't, just many small steps. Go for it, I am sure Jason will provide you with a good design. Good luck, have fun with it.

• Like 1

OK so thank you for the input but I am now on a new search lol, I found a pair of forte II's for a good price so i no longer am in desperate need of the subs for now. The next search is to get these forte's all moded up. Any tips welcome. And thanks again for all the great info.