Craigslist scam ads

dtr20

What's with the Craigslist scam ads lately? I've seen probably 4 in the last 24 hours involving klipsch equipment and their gmail address in the ad. Either that or there really was a pair of cornwalls in rhode island for $200. What is the point if this, is it really just to get people to go to some website?

They are making the rounds for some reason... I've seen them on both the Dallas and Austin Craigslist sites. I replied to one ad a week or so ago (it had the Gmail address in the ad with no other way to reply). And promptly got a reply that they were already sold, but if I went to a website, I could get the same kind of deal.

It was an obvious scam, so I just deleted the email. But they're trying to direct you to a specific website, I'm guessing, to get your information.

• Like 1

i've noticed one on the Detroit area CL as well.   the listing was for a rc-62ii for $80.   gmail address in the ad, etc...

it looks like it's not just a local thing that pops up here or there. 

• Like 1

If you respond to a scam ad, what exactly happens? I am just curious, and I think it would be fun to toy with scammers. I need to know more about what they are pulling...

These ads have a Gmail address listed in the body of the ad, and it's the only way to reply.

If you email them they reply that the item is already sold. But if you go to the website that they provide in the reply email, then you can "get the same deal"?

I'm not willing to visit that website to find out what happens, but good luck..

• Like 1

If you respond to a scam ad, what exactly happens? I am just curious, and I think it would be fun to toy with scammers. I need to know more about what they are pulling...

These ads have a Gmail address listed in the body of the ad, and it's the only way to reply.

If you email them they reply that the item is already sold. But if you go to the website that they provide in the reply email, then you can "get the same deal"?

I'm not willing to visit that website to find out what happens, but good luck..

hmmm.... there has to be a way to have fun with this... I will, of course, give a blow by blow. 

I will proceed with caution... Does anybody have a social security number they will lend me? :)

• Like 1

"Beezid" and other "penny " auctions are so stupid, looking for morons that don't/ cant understand Business 101.

The simple lesson is, WHY would anybody sell ANYTHING for substantially less than market value????????

Only reason is they need the money FASTTT like for a drug fix, but, they still won't after processing time get it there.

Totally trolling for total Sub Moron idiots.   Lars

Well..this isn't a scam, but it's the first time I've heard of a center speaker being called a "talking" speaker.

http://madison.craigslist.org/ele/5524448516.html

And also...

Guy needs a reality check

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/5521626893.html

Edited by IbizaFlame

I dont think KG4s for $200 is necessarily a scam. I sold a nice pair on CL for 200. I didn't have any room for them, paid $10 at a resale shop, so I passed it on. Other people get in a jam for money so they sell cheap to raise cash quick.

I was thinking of selling my Heresy Slants for 500, I paid 300 out of NY and had them shipped, so I will make $75. People say they are worth more but whatever

I dont think KG4s for $200 is necessarily a scam. I sold a nice pair on CL for 200. I didn't have any room for them, paid $10 at a resale shop, so I passed it on. Other people get in a jam for money so they sell cheap to raise cash quick.

I was thinking of selling my Heresy Slants for 500, I paid 300 out of NY and had them shipped, so I will make $75. People say they are worth more but whatever

Sorry for the mis-quote, 

They're back with an ad for Forte II's with Crites updates for $150.  

I can forward the email address to you if you want to investigate.  Seems like the same M.O.  Gmail address in the body of the e-mail

My point was that these are ruses to get you to respond.  Sorry if I came off as callus.

Yeh  I think this g-mail scam stuff is getting worse. I came across a few last night......all g-mail addresses......but there was one with a phone number in the reply box. maybe this was the only legit g-mail....lol lol....  I don't know....it seems there are scams everywhere. 

The wife got a phone call awhile back. The guy on the phone said that our electric bill was overdue at our shop. It was overdue by $1200 and must be paid immediately or he would turn the power off at the shop. He said he was at our shop right now. He said he could give us the web address to make the payment. Now this was a Saturday afternoon and we were at a flea market.... we have all of our calls forward to our cell phone. 

So my wife being The BOSS she is said "go ahead and shut it off" ;)

Monday morning we had power.....

MKP :-)

• Like 1

I noticed as well, I e-mailed one of them for $150 Fortes. A real person responded saying the speakers had sold but they had more great deals and attached a link. the Link led me to beezid.com.

I had this same experience years ago. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. It's difficult to get a good audio component cheaply off Craigslist and eBay anymore. I haven't bought audio off either for a few years now. I do still get good cables cheap off eBay.