S

Axz Hout

So rambling on,  no sub user can post input volts to one box/unit   and the output in SPL at 22 Hz?  :mellow:

I would, but I don't have an F20. 

Have you tried posting the question on the lilmike F20 thread?

mach-1, you can probably just look at the efficiency of the driver you are using as compared to the drivers you are wanting to compare against. The numbers should be relatively close.

for example:

rss460ho = 93db
rss390ho = 92.8
lab15 = 88.5

Hey Jason, the LAB15's are on blowout on PE. I might nab a couple and build a pair of T-60's instead of T-30's. http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-lab-15-4-15-pro-audio-subwoofer-speaker-4-ohm--299-391

Driver sensitivity means very little in these horn loaded subwoofers, using this method will not give an accurate measurement.

You are wrong my friend. Driver sensitivity always matters.

Sorry to disagree...

Edit: messed up the quote a bit but refer to post #17

Nothing to be sorry about, let me explain why your theory is wrong.

Driver sensitivity means very little, frequency response will vary wildly from driver to driver within T/S parameter range of the design.

Throw one in the mix that is pretty far out of T/S range and your frequency response will not even be in the same ballpark.

This is why comparing by sensitivity alone will not be accurate.

I suppose you're right. I remember something to the effect that the air displacement is more important than efficiency in a horn. 

Tuba 60's would be perfect if you really want to shake your shop and they are able to dig lower than the other pro series horns.

If you do decide to build some Tuba 60 cabinets keep in mind they will be nearly as big than your 2 THT's stacked on one another just to give you an idea of how large they are.

Edited by jason str

So rambling on,  no sub user can post input volts to one box/unit   and the output in SPL at 22 Hz?  :mellow:

At the moment I've got a half-width (15" wide) Tuba HT subwoofer loaded with a 12" driver (Dayton DVC 310-88).

Corner-loaded and using a Radio Shack SPL meter set to "C weighting / slow" with a 20 Hz test tone from the Bink CD, the unit measures 100 dB SPL on 2.87V at 6" from the mouth.

post-40059-0-46680000-1460139403_thumb.j

I also measured what voltage it took to maintain 100 dB SPL, one meter into my room.

post-40059-0-59440000-1460139411_thumb.j

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 2

but what plans did you build from that called for an 18?

Well by changing  the width the box can be used with  12 , 15 and 18  inch  motors.  Standard build is 20 inch wide.

Just wondering what input/volts  is  used to get 100 dB at 22 Hz with the multiple possible drivers being used,  most with the standard driver being an obsolete 15 inch car/sub motor.

There are many great drivers available for the design that are not obsolete.

• Like 1

(Dayton DVC 310-88)

That woofer is no longer available, but at at with 89.8 dB sensitivity it is not a horn driver.   You would have to feed it ALOT of power to keep up with the  Klipsch  LaScala!    

Driver sensitivity means very little in these designs.

(Dayton DVC 310-88)

That woofer is no longer available, but at at with 89.8 dB sensitivity it is not a horn driver.   You would have to feed it ALOT of power to keep up with the  Klipsch  LaScala!    

If you had LaScala main speakers. the Heresy will not keep up as rear surrounds.

I agree

A sub with a 89.8 dB motor will be lost in the crowd. If you give it enough power to keep up it is always causing more distortion.

This relates to direct radiating subwoofers, horns are something completely different.

The question was what how many volts other sub users needed to get 100 dB at 22 Hz

Not an f20 or a single driver unit. But my spud clone single cab running dual 8" takes about 9 volts to push 22 hz from youtube to 100 db.  That is about 12' away from the measurement mic.

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

(Dayton DVC 310-88)

If you had LaScala main speakers. the Heresy will not keep up as rear surrounds.

I agree

A sub with a 89.8 dB motor will be lost in the crowd. If you give it enough power to keep up it is always causing more distortion.

This relates to direct radiating subwoofers, horns are something completely different.

A horn is a passive amplifier.

If you had LaScala main speakers. the Heresy will not keep up as rear surrounds.   A sub with a 89.8 dB motor will be lost in the crowd. If you give it enough power to keep up it is always causing more distortion.

Put differently from how Jason worded it (if I may), you are comparing the output of a speaker (Heresy) against a speaker verses the output of a driver against a speaker.  I'd think your reference point is incomplete because your driver (me not knowing anything about it) could be direct radiator mounted like a Cornwall or horn mounted like the LaSCala.  (meaning both speakers use same driver for a big difference in outputs)

We might have to ask Mr. Owl as this might become the worlds 2nd most enigmatic question.

post-12967-0-04020000-1460797867_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...