Am I insane? I think I might sell my RF7s.

maseline_98

Here is my current theater setup:

2-RF7s, RC7, 2-RS7s, 4-Emo UAC8.2s.

Emo XPA5, UMC200

Adcom 5300

Benq HT1075, 110" Screen

SVS 20-39PC+

I'm considering downsizing my speakers to inwall (frontstage) and onwall (rears) and purchasing a psa v3600i to combat the lowend frequency loss to streamline our theater watching experience and free up the floors space. I might also consider keeping the RC7.

Am I just crazy? I never heard inwall (or onwall for that matter) speakers and was curious how they preform.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

With the right placement, receiver configuration, and speaker combination, they actually make a difference.  I have in-wall setup as front-heights and I will tell you, they add another dimension to the audio experience.

I first noticed the difference when I watched the classic "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" movie. When the crew stepped out of the Enterprise to investigate the "object", flashes of lighting and thunder fills the dark void. The sound of lighting(high-pitched screech) coming from the front-height in-wall speakers are amazing as it travels from left to right and vice-versa..while the front speakers can certainly put out the effect, it's not the same if you have the dedicated channel and speakers for this type of sound effect.

The key for using in-wall speakers effectively, imho, is using dedicated channel AND having the right receiver to use them as such; eg, front, side or rear-heights, and not to be confused with front-side-or rear surrounds.

So, in-wall speakers works great and performs well for their intended purpose. If you're going to replace your big speakers with in-walls, don't expect the same audio performance as before. You are downsizing and the in-walls can not put out the same performance as your big speakers do.

Good luck.

jav