Chorus ii lucky find!

Cotso

Driving along the road I noticed two bug black boxes sitting on a footpath just off the road. They'd been put out for a hard rubbish collection with other offs and ends. I was very curious. They looked an odd size for a floor standing speaker, but definitely some kind of speaker. So I turn around and drove back to take a look.

These were a large black speaker box with cloth grills intact. I got out of my car to take a closer look. Klipsch. Apart from some minor chipped edges these looked ok. I pull off the covers and everything looked sweet. So I picked up these heavy buggers and stuck them into my back of my vehicle.

When I arrived home late in the day I pulled the speakers out of my car and plugged them into my little Marantz amp. Wow!!! They sounded sweet.

So I've dug around and found that I am now the owner if a pumping set of Chorus ii speakers.

So things have rapidly progressed. I've picked up an Onkyo Integra a-8067. The place is pumping now!!!

What are the chances, such a fantastic find. I am stoked.

• Like 6

Absolutely. To good to be true sometimes. So I've searched the net for more info and what I see is that these are highly regarded in the Klipsch range. What did they originally retail for in the 80's. I see they still sell fir anywhere between $750 and $1500. They must have cost a bit in thier day.

We have a "hard rubbish" collection here wrre the city council once a year will take away your unwanted stuff. Where I was driving through this day was a relatively new suburb, established mid late 90's. People put all kinds of amazing stuff to be taken away. They couldn't have been there for long. Some people collect and re sell si it's total pit luck. In the pic with the pair, on the buffet at the back right you can just see another speaker. Vintage Kreisler's, great condition. Same deal, sitting on the verge fir collection.

wow... awsome score!  who the heck would just throw these away!  especially in decent shape & working!  you should go play the lottery while youre at it! 

i think these listed for just under $2000 when new, $1750 or so if i recall. look into upgrading the tweeters with crites titanium & they will sound even better.. & possibly a capacitor upgrade in the x-overs too. 

congrats you lucky dog!

Thanks man. I'm just loving the new sound. I've been rotating between the JBL TLX12s, Dali Concept 6s and vintage Kreisler's. When brought the Chorusii into the living room my partner have me a dirty look and queried where I intended to put them. Iovrd the Dali's out and these are here to stay. I keep mentioning to her how more incredible these speakers sound, she looks at me like I'm a nutcase....lol..

Oh...... wait a minute!!!!

Those were the Chours ii's that fell out my car last week.... I'll PM you my address so you can get them back to me :D

Really cool story..... That my man is one hell of a find..... The Chorus and Chorus ii's are one of favorite Klipsch....

Welcome to the forum.....

MKP :-)

• Like 2

nice looking onkyo... im pretty sure the wood side panels are factory to the older integra models, at least they are for the 8087 & for all the M series amps like the m-504 & 508.  but looks like the prev owner used real wood sides, the originals were an ugly vinyl faux wood.  

that 8067 has 80watts per channel, being its older onkyo power it will be "ok" for the chorus & drive them pretty good... but, these chorus speakers really like power, they have 1000 watt peaks.  some guys feed them 200+ watts & say they really come alive then.  but with their high efficiency they should be plenty loud with the onkyo.  keep you eye out for a higher power amp like the m-504 or another brand closer to 200 if you want to take them to the next level.  

go play the lottery while the luck is still strong!  & send me half your winnings! ;)