Newbe question about matching speakers

zdude

Years ago I bought a set of older Cornwalls that I wound up replacing the tweeter drivers in and because the were a little rough I sanded them down and painted them black. Man, I loved those bad boys. Over time adding a C-7 center a couple of RS-7 sides and a couple of KLH10 rears I developed a system that even though wasn't really matching I enjoyed  always enjoy blowing the eardrums out of family & friends. Oh, I had an 18"HGS Velodyne sub to complete the bottom end sound. We started looking at moving into a condo so foolishly I put the Cornwalls in our local Craig's List for $700 and they sold with-in a couple of hours. I knew right away I shouldn't have sold them till we were ready to move, that was a year ago and we're still thinking about a move except the condo thing has lost it's appeal. Right now I have the KLH10's on the front, but I'd like to move them back to the rear and am looking for a suggestion on some different front right & left. Thought about Chorus11's or Forte, but wonder how well they would match the rest of the system. Any suggestions on what to do to complete a system that would sound pretty well matched? Thank you for any help!

two things... well three really.

there WILL BE Timbre differences between different speaker lines even by the same manufacturer.

these Timbre differences are somewhat/slightly mitigated in usage for Home Theater... 5.1 music is more problematic.

EQ adjustments will help "blend out" some of those timbre issues.

Edited by Schu

I also have three things...

1. Welcome.

2. Do you mean KLF-10's?

3. If you want timbre matching - and you should - you'll want to pick if you want to match with the RC-7 (that is what you have right? Not the KLF-C7?) and RS-7's or the KLF-10 (if that's what you have).

If 3 - Your options would be either to get a pair of RF-7's or scrap the RC/S-7's and get a KLF-C7 and a more beefy pair of surrounds, probably another pair of KLF-10's.

• Like 1

The main thing is to have the front three timbre match. As sound moves across the sound field, you want it to be faithfully reproduced in the same manner. In this regard, having similar speakers, from the same brand/line yields the most satisfactory experience of causing the speakers to 'disappear' and cause the illusion you want in home theater. 

• Like 2

KLF - 10's (2 fronts)

RC-7 (1 center)

RS-7 (2 side surround's)

My question is could a couple of KLF-30's or a couple of Forte's or a couple of Chorus 11's be used for the front right & left along with the RC-7 without too much timber difference while moving the KLF -10's to the rear channel in a 7.1 system. Or do I have this all messed up and need to start over?

KLF - 10's (2 fronts)

RC-7 (1 center)

RS-7 (2 side surround's)

My question is could a couple of KLF-30's or a couple of Forte's or a couple of Chorus 11's be used for the front right & left along with the RC-7 without too much timber difference while moving the KLF -10's to the rear channel in a 7.1 system. Or do I have this all messed up and need to start over?

It's your system, so mix and match to your hearts (and ears) content... Most of us started with a system we pieced together that wasn't necessarily the "best" match.

The KLF-30, Forte or Chorus II will all work up front. You'll just have to decide if the difference between fronts and center is okay to your ears.

If you go with the KLF-30, you could move the 10's to surround, and then either keep the Rc-7 as a center or move it to a single center back. You could sell the RS-7's to fund a KLF-C7 center or use them as back surrounds and sell the RC-7 to fund a KLF-C7. That would be a killer setup with mostly KLF models.

Forte or Chorus II introduce another model/timbre. Forte would match best with an Academy Center (getting hard to find) or another Forte. Chorus II (with the updated Tractrix midrange) doesn't really have a designated center. The best match is either a Quartet, Forte II or another Chorus II, since they all have a Tractrix midrange. Though a KLF-C7 is probably the closest "center style" match. That is also a great setup and one I personally worked my way through.

I started with some Forte II's and KLF-C7, then Chorus II's with a Quartet and finally Chorus II's with a Forte II center.

Then I started all over with LaScalas...

Regardless of what you put together, you've already got a better system than many people ever hear. So enjoy building it the way you want it, even if it's not an ideal timber match initially.

Thanks GP Busa, just a question about that screen-name. You ever own a Busa? I had a 2000 ZX12R (turbocharged with Nitrous) and just sold a 2013 ZX14R. Anyway, I really loved my Cornwalls and never minded the timber difference than so I just might look for a nice set of Chorus 11's to check them out and if I don't like it, may I'll start a new system with those as the backbone. Don't know much about the KLF30's though so might have to at least see if I can audition a set before the Chorus 11's. I've just heard so much good about the Chorus 11's. Anybody feel the compare to the KLF30's favorably or at lleast what the difference is?

Thanks GP Busa, just a question about that screen-name. You ever own a Busa? I had a 2000 ZX12R (turbocharged with Nitrous) and just sold a 2013 ZX14R. Anyway, I really loved my Cornwalls and never minded the timber difference than so I just might look for a nice set of Chorus 11's to check them out and if I don't like it, may I'll start a new system with those as the backbone. Don't know much about the KLF30's though so might have to at least see if I can audition a set before the Chorus 11's. I've just heard so much good about the Chorus 11's. Anybody feel the compare to the KLF30's favorably or at lleast what the difference is?

Yeah, I've owned two over the years... A blue/silver 2000 model and a black/red 2011. The 2000 had a few updates Yosh exhaust, airbox, fully rebuilt RaceTech suspension (front/back), etc. The 2011 is completely stock. Some ongoing back issues (see my avatar) have limited my riding over the last few years.

I've owned Cornwalls, Chorus II's and KLF-20's. I preferred the Chorus II's and KLF-20's over the Cornwalls. For me, I think the Tractrix midrange is what made the difference.

I don't know that I could choose between the KLF20 and the Chorus II... Though they are different. I think the Chorus II's are some of the smoothest, most accurate speakers Klipsch has made. The bass (from 40 Hz or so on up) is clean, accurate and has a "snap" to it. It also needs (in my opinion) a really good, high power amplifier (at least 100 wpc minimum) to sound it's best.

The KLF-20 goes deeper (than the Chorus II's) and can really thump you in the chest or shake a room. It's maybe not quite as smooth, but they're close. The KLF's also seem to perform better with a higher power amp.

The KLF-30 and Chorus II are similar in that they don't reach down as low, but are more efficient (and maybe slightly better balanced) than the KLF-20 and Forte II. But if good, solid, low bass is most important, go with the Forte II's or KLF-20's.

GPBusa , man I understand the back issues. I've had 5 verts fused and sportbikes are too rough on me now and I'm considering maybe a Triumph speed triple or even a KTM 1290 Superduke. Anyway, I appreciate the recommendations and I'm thinking KLF 20'S or 30's might work out good. I'll be playing around with these and looking at options including the KLF C-7 center. Thanks for all the help from different members and I'll let you know what the final result is. I love this stuff just like I love the hotrod bikes. All's good !

• Like 1

Correction, just got back in town and checked the center, it is a KLF-C7. So I'll probably add a set of KLF 30's up front and move the KLF10's to the rear. Will probably keep the RS-7's to play with as surround side's in a 7.1 system, if the perform poorly in that configuration I'll go from there. Thanks to all who commented!

• Like 1

Correction, just got back in town and checked the center, it is a KLF-C7. So I'll probably add a set of KLF 30's up front and move the KLF10's to the rear. Will probably keep the RS-7's to play with as surround side's in a 7.1 system, if the perform poorly in that configuration I'll go from there. Thanks to all who commented!

A full KLF system will sound great with music or movies. The KLF-30's are a bit harder to find, so if you find a pair of KLF-20's instead, don't dismiss them.

It will be hard for me to forgo the torque of the Busa. And I'd still love to turbo charge one at some point in the future. BUT, I wouldn't mind having a BMW flat-twin (R1200 RT) either.

Good luck in your search for the KLF's and report back (with pictures) when you get it set up.

GPBusa, know what you mean about that torque. My 2013 ZX14R had the ECM modified by Ivan of Ivan's performance in New York to remove all restrictions, raise the red-line, bring on the cooling fans earlier, he programmed a PC5 and I installed a 4/1 Akropovic. That was the best tuned bike I've ever owned, absolutely perfect throttle response, torque monster everywhere, no popping, backfiring off throttle - perfection, no dead spots, like an electric motor. The man is brilliant and reasonable. Wish I could still ride those rockets, I'd love a new H2 supercharged bike but time moves on and your body just refuses to go there at some point. I've had the turbo, 300 rwhp, but I knew a guy that had a Busa set up for the strip that was putting down 400 rwhp - ungodly fast. I sure had fun with guys in those souped up supercharged Cobra's running 700-800 rwhp, it's all in the power to weight ratio, freeking blew their minds -LOL!

Sorry about the bike talk, but it was an obsession like the audio is.

• Like 1