Funkster!

I currently have a 7.1.4 system in my HT room:

Klipsch R-7 ll's mains

Klipsch RT -12D sub

Klipsch RC-64 ll center

Klipsch RS-62's surrounds

Klipsch R5650 S-ll's rear surrounds

Klipsch R5650 S-ll's overheads (4)

My room is 12x21 ft and I am entertaining selling my Klipsch sub and adding Jl Audio Fathom 113's.

Can I get some opinions on this? Would they be to much for the room? Any feedback would be appreciated.

My system includes:

JVC56U Projector

Oppo 103 D Blue Ray Player

Onkyo TX NR 3030

Stewart StudioTek G130 120 inch screen

IMO, no contest.

Single F113 will trump RT-12d in every contest.  If you can swing for two with the $$$'s, then you will have a serious HT rig that would be hard to beat.

Nothing against the RT-12d(I have dual RT-10d's), but JL Audio is on a completely different level.

One thing I would suggest you purchase being that your Onkyo is responsible for driving 9 speakers, is an outboard multichannel amp.  A 3-channel or 5-channel would be plenty.  Maybe think of selling the RT and getting a single F113 and an amp and add another F113 later if you think you "need" one.

Others on the forum may suggest a DIY sub over the JL Audio for much better price/performance ratio and though I may agree, your question was pretty specific between the RT-12d and F113 so I wanted to keep it on topic(except for the amp suggestion ;)  :D).

Bill

Edited by willland

dear god please do not spend 4 grand on a jl audio sub. i have owned a svs pb-13 ultra and head a jl fathom 113 in the same room and tell you that the svs will trump it in every aspect except if you cross very high like 100hz or something. 

if you really want to take your home theater to a new level skip the WAY overpriced JL audio stuff and look into JTR, Seaton Sound, Or deep sea sound. these are three to buy right now. of course as bill mentioned diy is king, however after recommending it to so many people then answering countless questions and seeing how frustrating it can be for some i realize its not for everyone. if i ever payed for a commercial available subwoofer again it would be from one of those three companies. regardless of price. in fact if you are dead set on spending 4 grand per sub i say get you two of them deep sea sound 24" subs and call it a day. you will rise to the top in the subwoofer realm. 

• Like 3

Single F113 will trump RT-12d in every contest.  If you can swing for two with the $$$'s, then you will have a serious HT rig that would be hard to beat.
bill have you ever got to hear any of the big subs from jtr, seaton, or deep sea? there is so much more stuff out there that will smoke the jl stuff. if not i hope you get to hear and experience them one day. they truly are something special.  

http://www.deepseasound.com/products/mariana-24sr-24-subwoofer

DSS_dave.jpg

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/product-listing-availability-status-and-pricing-3366417

Cherry-R-Esp-Blk-SM1-10.jpg?rdrts=134934

http://jtrspeakers.com

f5b0968ce9904b56469d0147391b3273.jpg

like i said these are all serious subwoofers. MUCH more serious than the JL and priced much more reasonable for what you get.

Scrappy is correct on the performance of those subs like JTR, Seaton and Deep Sea being better bang for your buck.  It comes down to space and how many subs can reasonably  fit in the room.  The less subs that can go into a room, the greater the need for a few heavy hitters.

i have owned a svs pb-13 ultra and head a jl fathom 113 in the same room and tell you that the svs will trump it in every aspect except if you cross very high like 100hz or something. 

I don't doubt that at all.  Look at the cabinet size difference and weight.  It should dig deeper and louder.

PB13U = 22.5"x20.5"x28.0" (HxWxD), 155lbs

F113 = 19.25"x 16.5"x 19.25" (HxWxD), 135lbs

As we have said, "bang for the buck" is king but "bang for the size" ain't so bad either.

Bill

Edited by willland

bill have you ever got to hear any of the big subs from jtr, seaton, or deep sea?

I have not.  

there is so much more stuff out there that will smoke the jl stuff.

When you say "smoke" you mean in volume and extension right or much better musicality?

if not i hope you get to hear and experience them one day. they truly are something special.  

I hope to someday in the near future.

Bill 

bill have you ever got to hear any of the big subs from jtr, seaton, or deep sea?

I have not.

there is so much more stuff out there that will smoke the jl stuff.

When you say "smoke" you mean in volume and extension right or much better musicality?

if not i hope you get to hear and experience them one day. they truly are something special.

I hope to someday in the near future.

Bill

well bill you own some pretty dang good subs right now. So I say it's safe to say you and I both know a JL 113 is gonna be a musical subwoofer. Up there with the best of them. But when it comes to home theater use, a sub with tons more headroom, visceral impact, and ability to pressurize a room is gonna go to a bigger box, bigger woofer, and bigger amp every single time. Long as we are talking quality subs. All of which I mentioned are.

So in terms of digging down into stuff that will shake

The house and having plenty of headroom to spare the big subs will do it with ease. And that's what I mean when I say smoke. To me it's all about digging deep and headroom. Cause all that adds up to super clean distortion free bass

So in terms of digging down into stuff that will shake The house and having plenty of headroom to spare the big subs will do it with ease. And that's what I mean when I say smoke. To me it's all about digging deep and headroom. Cause all that adds up to super clean distortion free bass

All very good points.

In my family room I don't ever expect to have any of the big boys you mention but if I ever move to a home with a dedicated space for HT, it just might happen that a pair or more 18's will be right in there shaking the foundation.

Bill