Klipschorn upgrades which ones help

2Bmusic

not that the khorns need help. But most everything can be improved most of the time.

I tried using the search but must have done it wrong.

What upgrades are improvements to the Khorn?

Steep slope cross overs?

eliptrix wood horns 2" with high quality drivers?

Etc? 

Addendum... 

I just learned of Volti.   Greg uses Vtrack but fast lane eliptrix... how do they sound different ?

Edited by 2Bmusic

Sealing to corner...good parts in crossover...make sure all connections are good...high quality upstream components.....and I think crites tweeter upgrade and the 4500 crossover change also check to make sure the air chamber for woofer is air tight. I found air leaks on my 1972 model. There are more but that's a start.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention, my khorns have the back closed in.  I can not find any serial numbers. I was told these were upgraded with new squawker driver and cross overs  around the year 2000.  No way to know how accurate that statement is. But the only speakers that came from the factory that were closed in the back were anniversary ones. Wasn't that in 2005?   I know they are older than that.

As for upgrades I am asking about squawker's and crossovers specifically.  ALK for cross overs and Fast lane for eliptrix midrange ( squawker ) .    These add up to close to $3,000.  I did not pay that much for the speakers.... for crying out loud!

My thoughts  are:     ( MOST) all MFG's build things to sell and make money. Also as the years pass many times things improve. I know my iPhone 6 works better than my motorola brick phone from the 80's.  ..... so on and so forth. 

Anyway, there is room for improvement for the most part. I am questioning whether I should spend another ~ #3,000 with regard to how much better they will sound.

I really appreciate your thought full replies!

Thanks,

Dave

I did most of them. I recently upgraded pre & main amps to Parasound JC2 & Pass Labs X150.5 as well.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/159587-klipschorn-mods/?hl=%2Bklipschorn+%2Bmods

VERY NICE AS WELL.   I guess you are still liking the set up?

MANCAVE MAN...I WOULD APPRECIATE YOU IDEAS ON AMPS ALSO!

Currently by default and accident I am using a Yamaha RX A1030.

Compared to the others below it is certainly acceptable. 

I am trying to figure out what amp to go with. Thus far I have tried:

1. BIG BEN 6watt SET, not enough power. Shy by about 15 watts for good bass.

2. Emotiva's 300 watt XP gen 2 series. Sounded good, great bass, but not worth spending the money (compared to the free yamaha 1030.)

3. First Watt F6. It sounded a tiny bit better than the above, but again for the money not what I am looking for.

4. Quicksilver Horn Monos. These were again every bit as good as others above. On some music they bested all the above. But after reading about Steve Decware  ZMA, I think that is a better way to go for many reasons. I will have to save up for a while to buy that however. 

5. I really want to try the first watt F7. Reviews show that it picks up where the previous F series left off.

6. OR the Pass Labs 30.8.  Something tells me this is the best way other than Pass Labs mono blocks.  AND i am not going to spend that kind of money.   One has to draw the line some where!

Thanks again for everyones ideas.... please keep them coming !!!

Sincerely,

Dave

Edited by 2Bmusic

I did most of them. I recently upgraded pre & main amps to Parasound JC2 & Pass Labs X150.5 as well.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/159587-klipschorn-mods/?hl=%2Bklipschorn+%2Bmods

VERY NICE AS WELL.   I guess you are still liking the set up?

Thanks. Yes I am. I've had my Khorns since the late 80's and wanted a project. They're good to go for another 30-years. :D

• Like 1

Before you consider spending around $3,000 on upgrades....  you might consider going the other direction.  Sell your Khorns, take the funds from the sale, add $3,000 (and likely some more to be honest) and replace the Khorns with the Jubilee's.

You'll then end up with a 100% Klipsch engineered solution that will be better than your Khorns.

If you are bent on only upgrading them, then I'd look for a 2" horn solution and get away from the smaller format horns.

• Like 2

Before you consider spending around $3,000 on upgrades....  you might consider going the other direction.  Sell your Khorns, take the funds from the sale, add $3,000 (and likely some more to be honest) and replace the Khorns with the Jubilee's.

You'll then end up with a 100% Klipsch engineered solution that will be better than your Khorns.

If you are bent on only upgrading them, then I'd look for a 2" horn solution and get away from the smaller format horns.

I listened to the Jubilee's at Kevin's house. They sound amazing. THEY WILL NOT FIT IN MY rent house sad to say.  Other wise I would do that!

I went through this a couple years ago or so. IMO, the larger wood mid horn with the stock K55 and the factory k77 tweeter tweeter made a very big difference.

I added the Beyma tweeter later on and it brings a lot more to the table than you would think a tweeter would, but its not perfect to my ears.  I then added a BMS 4592 nd mid as the mid driver and it added some clarity and details on the low power side, but really shines when you open the taps.  The Beyma tweeter can have a little spit to it on ugly recordings or content where the highs were a tad high in studio.   I swapped back to the factory components about a year ago or so when I came accustomed to the new mods thinking I never was missing anything. It took about 10 seconds to figure out I just pulled all those screws out for nothing.

I have heard of couple sets of Jubs. Huge soundstage, wow factor is there and the mid is so big and cool looking it could sound like crap and 75% of the people would still love it.  Thankfully it doesn't sound like crap and is basically what everyone wants. Jubs are the last stop for some, yet I know a couple of folks that have gone to Jubs and turned around and went back to K's for various reasons. 

Which road you take is up to you.

• Like 1

Mancave man,  & others

HOW DOES one decide on which path to take.   THE VOLTI AUDIO or the FASTLANE / ALK  path?  I know they are both good. Can any one here give me some insight please?

A lot of reading forum posts and reviews. I started with Crites CT-125 tweeters and ALK Universal crossovers. When I decided to go further I wanted to stay with ALK since I was familiar with his crossovers and he was great to deal with. I learned of Dave's Eliptrac400 (2" midrange Horn) and ContracT (1" tweeter Horn)  on Al's website and Al also sells the B&C compression drivers.

Mancave man,  & others

HOW DOES one decide on which path to take.   THE VOLTI AUDIO or the FASTLANE / ALK  path?  I know they are both good. Can any one here give me some insight please?

Here's my journey leading to the Voltis FWIW

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/162042-my-k-hornwalls/

Greg did mention to me that the Beyma can be a bit much for some but not in my system. But even it were, Greg can help you with the attenuation.

No idea how it compares against the Fastlane but if you google Volti, you'll find nothing but praise for his Allura and Vittora

http://voltiaudio.com/

I did get to hear a full blown Volti upgraded K-Horn and it was an experience for sure

Edited by EmilC
  • Like 1

IMHO upgrading should be based on perceived short comings...what don`t you like about your k-horns? what would you like to strengthen?  if they are quite olkd you might look into refreshing the caps but otherwise there is no one formula to success here.  It really depends on your music, your room, your other equipment, your taste that, as I said, focussing on making them sound right to you should be task #1.  somefeddback to the froup about what you would like to accomplish would get you better responses.  regards, Tony

• Like 2