Showroom question

majas

Hi folks!

I want to have 2 speaker setups inside one single room. This is for my business showroom. We also want to use a single AV Receiver for this 2 setups (5.1) sharing the same subwoofer. 

My question: 

Is there any product I can hook up 2 setups and I then select one and then the other? that make sense?

Please help!!

Niles and Russound both make speaker switch boxes. 

Are you wanting a 5.1 and a 2 channel system using the same speakers?

Can you just turn off the channels within your AVR? 

If one system is HT and the other 2 channel, some pre-amps have HT bypass capability.

• Like 1

If one system is HT and the other 2 channel, some pre-amps have HT bypass capability.

I want to use two 5.1 setups (using one single subwoofer)

So I just want to have a product where I select one or the other setup. I think it need to receive both setup wires and the act as a bridge selector. 

Any product link?

There might be some high-end 11 channel AVR's or pre-amps that have dual zone capabilities, where you might be able to have 2 separate 5.1 setups. But I don't know of any and if they exist, they're probably quite expensive.

I already have one AVR, so I dont want to purchase one more, just have some kind of selector so I can use two setups in a single room, not tu used at the same time, it will be used one at a time.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators

I'm not seeing anything online that will handle (2) 5.0 systems.  Easiest thing would be to get a 10 speaker selector.  Hit 3 switches and it changes from one set of surround speakers to the other using the same AVR and the same Sub. 

The problem with the niles is that it's nearly $400. You might as well buy a a second receiver if you did that. Would be best to do so anyway because none of your levels, delay, or eq will be right if you just switch to different speakers. Just buy a cheaper receiver for the lesser setup. If it's for a showroom you probably need to demo different receivers as well anyway.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

I may be stating the obvious or totally missing something myself, but the biggest problem with the selector route is that nearly all of them only have like 1 input. Having a whole bunch of outputs doesn't really do you any good. You can have a selector that can handle 10 pair of speakers, but if it can only take one stereo input, that means you still get to buy five of the things. There are probably retail specific solutions that will do what you want, otherwise buying multiple cheap ones with a small amount of switches may be your best option.

You know, if you took some kind of project box and installed five cheap 3-position toggle switches, you could do this for cheap. You'd just have to flip five switches when you want to change setups.

http://www.parts-express.com/3pdt-mini-toggle-switch-center-off--060-522

http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=project%20box&sitesearch=true

like $15 total. Whether it would pop or do something else that is icky is a different story.

You wouldn't want the center off switch. There wouldn't be a load on the amp. Also, PE sells 4P switches. This one would do 4 speakers, so you would need another SPDT. http://www.parts-express.com/4pdt-heavy-duty-toggle-switch--060-572

edit: input+ in the center 4 screws. You do not run the negative (-) though it.

Edited by mustang guy

I want to use two 5.1 setups (using one single subwoofer)

So I just want to have a product where I select one or the other setup. I think it need to receive both setup wires and the act as a bridge selector. 

Any product link?

When I used to work for Domes Audio Video Environments in Chesapeake Va (it's now at the Hilltop location in Va Beach), we had three HT rooms.  The first room was comprised of 8 receivers (Denon, Sony, Pioneer Elite) and ton of possible speaker combos (we could choose subs, mains, centers, and rears).  This was fairly expensive though (we had the gear because we did custom work and av distribution).  This was back in the 90's!  So it can be done - I just don't know if it can be done inexpensively. 

Give Lee or Jeff Whedbee  a call a Domes and tell them David from the 90's recommended you. 

RIP Bro Bill Jenkins of DomesAV!!!! 

How you're supposed to do it:

https://www.audioauthority.com/page/appexht7

Basically you still have individual switches for each channel but they are all controlled by a master so you don't have to run around the room switching stuff. I'm guessing that you don't want to pay for it though.