Zeppelin's back in the news

akdave

• Moderators

U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner tentatively granted Led Zeppelin’s motion to exclude the drug and alcohol evidence at a pretrial hearing on Monday. He also tentatively granted other motions, including Led Zeppelin’s move to exclude all references to prior copyright settlements over the band’s other songs and to limit the scope of sound recordings to be played to the jury. - See more at: http://m.nationallawjournal.com/#/article/1202755911471/Led-Zeppelin-Stairway-Trial-Likely-to-Proceed-Without-Drug-Alcohol-Evidence?mcode=1202617074964&curindex=2&_almReferrer=https:%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

• Moderators

Zeppelin turned down the latest offer, going to court May 10th,,,,http://www.avclub.com/article/led-zeppelin-could-settle-stairway-heaven-lawsuit--236146

That article references a Bloomberg Report. The Bloomberg Report indicates that attorney's for Led Zeppelin declined comment. Settlement offers and negotiations are not admissible at the trial, so they are trying to get that out there to potential jurors. Here is the quote:

"Peter Anderson, a lawyer for Page, Plant, and their record labels, declined to comment after the hearing."

Zeppelin turned down the latest offer, going to court May 10th,,,,http://www.avclub.com/article/led-zeppelin-could-settle-stairway-heaven-lawsuit--236146

That article references a Bloomberg Report. The Bloomberg Report indicates that attorney's for Led Zeppelin declined comment. Settlement offers and negotiations are not admissible at the trial, so they are trying to get that out there to potential jurors. Here is the quote:

"Peter Anderson, a lawyer for Page, Plant, and their record labels, declined to comment after the hearing."

To me, it is unbelievable that plaintiff should get more than a token recognition for that series of about 10 notes.  We are talking about a lengthy song.  If anything, this joke of a case makes me realize that if there is a finding in favor of plaintiff, the damages should be proportional to the plaintiff's contribution toward the entirety on some kind of fractional basis.

Like I said before any song in the world can be perceived to have a copyright violation. The other day I heard some birds chirping a cord from Highway to Heaven. I would bet their is a lawyer somewhere that would represent the birds.

JJK

• Moderators

Like I said before any song in the world can be perceived to have a copyright violation. The other day I heard some birds chirping a cord from Highway to Heaven. I would bet their is a lawyer somewhere that would represent the birds.

JJK

So maybe we should just limit Copyright to lyrics only? Anyone can use anybody elses melody (I don't know the music lingo, "tune" or "chord structue") but as long as you change the lyrics you are safe?

Travis

• Moderators

To me, it is unbelievable that plaintiff should get more than a token recognition for that series of about 10 notes. We are talking about a lengthy song. If anything, this joke of a case makes me realize that if there is a finding in favor of plaintiff, the damages should be proportional to the plaintiff's contribution toward the entirety on some kind of fractional basis.

I don't know how the jury will be instructed on damages, I would think there would be plenty of precedent on how to figure it out from the sampling cases.

There is a district court case on sampling out there that says that as few as three notes of a sample can be infringement that entitled the plaintiff to an award of damages and a credit. I do not recall how they awarded damages in that case or what the split was on future damages.

There is a district court case on sampling out there that says that as few as three notes of a sample can be infringement that entitled the plaintiff to an award of damages and a credit.

How about 1 note?  I am thinking the final chord of the Beatles' "A Day in the Life."

Can you imagine?  C-A-B... Mine!  All mine! 

• Like 1

There is a district court case on sampling out there that says that as few as three notes of a sample can be infringement that entitled the plaintiff to an award of damages and a credit.

How about 1 note?  I am thinking the final chord of the Beatles' "A Day in the Life."

Genesis would have them all locked in….ABACAB

• Like 1

Genesis would have them all locked in….ABACAB

That would be the start of something new. 

• Like 1

To me, it is unbelievable that plaintiff should get more than a token recognition for that series of about 10 notes. We are talking about a lengthy song. If anything, this joke of a case makes me realize that if there is a finding in favor of plaintiff, the damages should be proportional to the plaintiff's contribution toward the entirety on some kind of fractional basis.

I don't know how the jury will be instructed on damages, I would think there would be plenty of precedent on how to figure it out from the sampling cases.

There is a district court case on sampling out there that says that as few as three notes of a sample can be infringement that entitled the plaintiff to an award of damages and a credit. I do not recall how they awarded damages in that case or what the split was on future damages.

I would think sampling is much different that actually performing a few similar notes.

• Moderators

I would think sampling is much different that actually performing a few similar notes.

For sure different, but in some ways worse. Using a bass line from a track that was sampled, they either had to pay a large licensing fee, to lift an injunction, or they have to give a credit and pay royalties on all future sales. Different things being sampled have resulted in different results.

I thought that bass line was from Bowie's "Under Pressure?"  Well, I guess it was a Bowie/Queen collaboration.  He ended up paying them four million and since then they have been given song writing credits.

Edited by oldtimer

A little off topic, but I saw Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience last night in Houston. The link below is my cell phone video of "Going to California".  Jason Bonham said that he found the lead singer, James Dylan, on the internet.  While he didn't sound exactly like Plant, he could certainly hit all of the high notes.  Overall I thought it was a pretty good show, well worth the $27 ticket price.