La Scala's that need work

wisco1

Uh yea

NO!

NO!

NO!

1K for those is not a bargain, it's a pawn shop, offer them 500, they might take it.

Mark

I was thinking the same thing.  What have they got in them, $300?  If that, for speakers with a blown driver?  I'd offer $300 and see what they came back with.

Of course, pawn shop or not, they are still probably worth around $1100-1200 even with the blown tweeter.  B)

• Like 1

Uh yea

NO!

NO!

NO!

1K for those is not a bargain, it's a pawn shop, offer them 500, they might take it.

Mark

I was thinking the same thing.  What have they got in them, $300?  If that, for speakers with a blown driver?  I'd offer $300 and see what they came back with.

Of course, pawn shop or not, they are still probably worth around $1100-1200 even with the blown tweeter.  B)

,Maybe the market is better in WV than here in Chicago, but 1100-1200 is on the high side unless they are in great shape and fully operational. Edzu had his 77 Scalas listed for 1250 with new crossovers and tweeters, neither of which had been installed. If you're patient they come up here fairly regularly under 1k

Mark

Uh yea

NO!

NO!

NO!

Mark

,Maybe the market is better in WV than here in Chicago, but 1100-1200 is on the high side unless they are in great shape and fully operational. Edzu had his 77 Scalas listed for 1250 with new crossovers and tweeters, neither of which had been installed. If you're patient they come up here fairly regularly under 1k

Mark

1k - 1300 for a good pair in working condition. A rough pair your looking at $7-800. At a pawn shop you are looking at a greedy guy behind a counter.  Offer 500.   :)

• Like 1

1k - 1300 for a good pair in working condition. A rough pair your looking at $7-800. At a pawn shop you are looking at a greedy guy behind a counter. Offer 500. :)

I would agree with these numbers, especially for the WV market.  We haven't had a Klipsch dealer here since the 1980's in Morgantown, so vintage Klipsch are rarely available here.  Craig, do you know of other WV dealers?  I don't.

I agree with you Mark that there is a better supply in Chicagoland so they do come up more often.  That $1000 price point you mentioned sounds right on the money, within a couple of hundred either way depending on all the usual factors.

The variable I've never been able to pin down is if mods make them more desirable, less desirable, or has no effect.  I think there is a good market that likes to get them unmolested and do their own upgrades.

These are my humble opinions on LaScala values.

IMHO there are certain mods which really don't effect value like recapping, replacing the stock wiring and even replacing the woofer with certain aftermarket ones.

There are mods which increase the value like Crites diaphragms and networks, ALK networks, nice restorations and some grille cover schema and patterns. I have seen some veneer and grille jobs that have to double the value, and with the right networks maybe even more. I could see throwing down $2500 for a pair of walnut veneered, Belle like grilled, crites titaniums, and ALK's best networks in them. It probably cost close to that to do them. Here's an example of a high dollar LS done by Greg at Volti:

GRKhorns8.jpg

There are also those things that turn me off are overpricing, lack of good description like "they worked last time I used them in 1979", poor restorations and major mods like porting and painting zebra stripes on them. 

eg:

Blue Scalas.jpg

I am also skeptical about the value of mods making LS 2 way. In some cases, maybe they would be worth more, in some less. Throw K-402's on them and I will be the first in like at a grand a pair. I'll take the 402's and sell the bins. :)

Edited by mustang guy