Forgotten audio formats: The Highway Hi-Fi

Chris A

Friend of mine had a model that played regular 45s in his car in the mid '60s. We graduated HS in '67. Rarely skipped, the tonearm was underneath the record, so big bumps made a fall away from the record.

I worked with a tv engineer who had a teac RTR sitting in the middle of his back seat. He made up some rather nice 3 3/4 tapes, giving long play times.

Bruce

• Like 2

The spring loading on the tonearms of the 45 players made it so after a few plays, you were able to play both sides of the record at the same time. The little piles of vinyl shavings on the carpet were annoying.

I too graduated HS in 67. The rich boyfriend of the sister of one of my friends had the first 64 GTO in town. He was kind (foolish) enough to let my friend use it. We rode around in that Tri-Power 4-speed black beauty playing Little GTO, by Ronny and the Daytonas, on the 45 player over and over so it would be obvious it wasn't the radio.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

The spring loading on the tonearms of the 45 players made it so after a few plays, you were able to play both sides of the record at the same time. The little piles of vinyl shavings on the carpet were annoying.

Wore them, yes.  Nowhere near that severely, thought.  I am going to guess around 6 grams.  I used mine all the time. 

Dave

Betting this is the same OEM as my Allstate. 

Hasn't been asked or mentioned, but these connected to your radio by a piggyback plug.  Changer had a circuit to convert the line level audio to AM signal.  Unplug the standardized antenna plug, plug in the changer, then plug the whole thing back in.  Easy install.

Dave

post-7390-0-52060000-1460682780_thumb.jp

Wore them, yes.  Nowhere near that severely, though

Dave-  

Of course you knew the " . . . piles of vinyl shavings . . . " was hyperbole.  I couldn't find the tongue in cheek emoji.

Edited by DizRotus