Other speakers than Khorns...

2Bmusic

Does anyone own or listen to other speakers than Khorns? I have not found any that sound better than my KHorns, but then I have only listened to a very few. BW 802, Sonos, Martin logan Electrostatic. and some $50,000 at an audio shop in New Orleans. I was thinking about getting a second pair of speakers for another room.  I am very interested in the Decware Monolith's. Since I know every one here has golden ears, or approaching that level, maybe some one could share their experience. 

• Like 1

As it says in my signature, we have Khorns in our Home Theater/Music room, with a Belle center, plus Heresy II surrounds, and a sub.  We have Klipsch Promedia in the bedroom, some Yamaha bookshelves and an ancient Klipsch passive sub in another room.  In the past, I have had JBLs, ADCs, etc.  Friends have had Paradigms, EVs, ARs, Warfdales, and Bozaks.  I spent hours comparing Khorns to B&W 801 Fs back in 1982.

I have never heard speakers as dynamic, or satisfying (to me), as Khorns.  To be fair, I haven't heard the Jubilees.  If you have a lot of money, I'd consider La Scala IIs and a big, big horn-loaded sub ... or Khorns or Jubilees or Klipsch Cinema line speakers with the same horn-loaded sub.  If not, go to Audio shows and go to the Klipsch gathering in Hope and listen your ears off.  I wish I could!

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

I have not found any that sound better than my KHorns

Before I got my (former) Khorns, I had a pair of LaScalas and a pair of Electrovoice Interface D's.

There is no denying the dynamics of Klipsch however, there was no denying that the EV's also sounded very good (and played very deep which I loved).  Ultimately, it was the dynamics that won me over and the LaScalas became my primary speaker while the EV's played on the "B" button.

For their depth, the EV's would walk all over the LaScalas (which I know aren't Khorns) but for mid-bass, the LaScalas would walk all over the EV's.

I don't believe Khorns dig as deep as the EV's (-3db at 28Hz) but there is no way the EV's could pressurize an entire room like the Khorn.

• Like 2

I have both Klipschorns and B&W 802 Diamonds. They both sound excellent. Different, but excellent. The difference in sound is due to direct radiator vs. horns. Also, the B&W's are time aligned which definitely shows when going between the two. I have Epic CF-2's in the garage. I love all my Klipsch (mainly Heritage). 

If I was going to pay retail vs the B&W and Klipsch, I would buy Jubilees, hands down. 

• Like 1

K-horns are what hooked me on big horns. I now have better in my basement but I have not heard better than big horn mid and bass. That said the work being done on the k-402/synergy design by member Chris A sounds like the future. Though it is still a horn (and kind of big).

• Moderators

I have never heard speakers as dynamic, or satisfying (to me), as Khorns.  To be fair, I haven't heard the Jubilees.  If you have a lot of money, I'd consider La Scala IIs and a big, big horn-loaded sub ... or Khorns or Jubilees or Klipsch Cinema line speakers with the same horn-loaded sub.  If not, go to Audio shows and go to the Klipsch gathering in Hope and listen your ears off.  I wish I could!

The Pilgrimage in Hope presents an excellent opportunity to "listen your ears off". We will be spending time in the listening room at the plant doing comparisons. There will also be a couple of systems at Rodney's.

• Like 3

A heated debate in some circles, but I vote for the Altec 19. I love Klipsch, but the Altec 19 is the best overall speaker I have ever heard. Since so much of sound is our own personal preference, I'm sure many would vote for the Klipschorn.

The Pilgrimage in Hope presents an excellent opportunity to "listen your ears off". We will be spending time in the listening room at the plant doing comparisons. There will also be a couple of systems at Rodney's.

Will there be Khorns there that have the Volti Audio Upgrades?   Or other upgrades for that matter?

Do you think Khorns are to big for a room where the khorns will be 10 ~11 feet center to center and  14 ~15 feet back to seating area? 

I would love to come to the fest. I do not know If I can get off that weekend, but will try. Can I just show up? Or does one have to register ahead of time?  Will it be difficult to find lodging with in 50 miles?

Edited by 2Bmusic

I guess the reason I asked the question is due to the size of the room. If I would put khorns in there they would be about 10~11 feet appart center to center and about 14 ~ 15  foot back at sweet spot.  DO YALL think that room is to small for Khorns?

I am looking for full accurate sound, but not loud.  After reading about the Decware Monoliths and the fact there is not cross-over "per-say", they seem to make sense. Good 2way sound is made by a number of MFG.

decware speaker info http://www.decware.com/newsite/DM947.html

I like that they are efficient 

Take up little space

The Horn-loaded speaker should not sound as distorted as so many speaker like this do. 

I have had Lascalas, not my cup of tea. I have listened to many of the name brands all the way up to $100,000.

None sound as good as Khorns. ALSO NONE had a folded horn and minimal cross over like the Monolyths

Edited by 2Bmusic

• Moderators

Will there be Khorns there that have the Volti Audio Upgrades?   Or other upgrades for that matter?

Do you think Khorns are to big for a room where the khorns will be 10 ~11 feet center to center and  14 ~15 feet back to seating area? 

I would love to come to the fest. I do not know If I can get off that weekend, but will try. Can I just show up? Or does one have to register ahead of time?  Will it be difficult to find lodging with in 50 miles?

All listening comparisons are generally "stock" Klipsch. You can just show up and pay the registration fee upon arrival. Late arrivals will not receive a commemorative badge, nor will they receive an etched glass, as these are items that require considerable time, effort and expense to include in a registration package. Lodging should be readily available. If you have not already done so, I would encourage you to read the IMPORTANT PILGRIMAGE INFORMATION thread. I do believe, based on all the information I currently have available that you do not want to miss this!!! Some of the commercial line that we will be listening to is pretty darn amazing. You can PM me with further questions if you prefer!

How could a Klipschorn come out on top against that?

Well, if I had my camera, I would show you how a Klipschorn could come out on top of that.....but.....the puddle of blood & plastic under the Khorn wouldn't be pretty.  :blink:

• Like 2