Anyone successfully used ribbon tweeters in La Scala?

Welborne

I have not heard anyone here trying that actually. I have the Bob Crites horn tweeters on mine and love them. I think you may run into some complications with the sensitivity being different for ribbons than horns when rebuilding the crossovers but I am sure it can be done. A member here named Wardsweb built some truly beautiful speakers that have a ribbon tweeter and has a mid horn:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/162742-some-of-my-other-builds-and-veneer-projects/

You can try shooting him a PM on what he did to get everything to mesh. I have heard good things about ribbon tweeters.

Thanks! I myself also already a B&C DE120 with a PRV tractrix horn. I cant say I am not happy. But everytime I read the Lampizator and Romy the Cat blogs where Raal ribbons were mentioned I couldnt shake the word out of my head. Just curiosity had gotten the better of me.

I've used Beyma TPL-150H with Klipschorn and LS with stunning results but with the cost of 4-5dB lower sensitivity. TPL-150H is so directive but sounds great on-axis. the spaciousness of the sound is amazing with this driver.

off-topic but I've heard a very tempting sound by combining TPL-150H with 12P80ND-V2 also from Beyma. just add a good woofer below ~100hz and you're almost there. sounds like 100K+ speakers IMO

by the way the best horn tweeter I've heard so far is Faital pro HF108 with a Faital pro STH-100 elliptical horn, not mentioning Fostex T500 AMKII

Edited by Arash
  • Like 1

If you want a non-horn or build your own short horn solution, look at the Aurum Cantus G1. Fantastic ribbon though you might want to drop the mid horn one notch on the auto-former. Likely would make a more balance, less in your face La Scala.

Thanks, I am actually eyeing on this G1 too. They have 102db in sensitivity though, do u think it will work?

The G1 have a very different presentation than horn tweeters and you also need to be on vertical axis for them to present sound properly.   You may what to tone down the mid horn (which I think is too hot in the La Scala anyway) and the ribbon should keep up.  They are very good sounding ribbons by the way though you will need to make the appropriate crossover for optimum sound.

If you like hotter high end, you can use an autoformer to get rise in the efficiency of the ribbon (using the G1 - on sale for $297 at P-E) Similar to Klipsch describes in his patent - http://patents.justia.com/patent/4237340

The ribbon would provide very clean output if you decide to try it, though not an inexpensive trial and you need to set up the crossover well because real ribbons like the G1 are easily destroyed.  Good crossovers above around 1.5k-1.8k, they can get seriously loud, band crossovers they will be flapping in the wind.