Acoustic panel build

muel

Looks great! Thanks for sharing! Do you mind sharing how many you built and what your total cost was? I'm sure it's a fraction of retail, but this is a step my room desperately needs as well, so I need to do my homework.

Those look nice. Did you notice much of an improvement in SQ?

Yes but I need more panels.  Also, panels alone do not help the lower frequencies.  I'm still struggling with some annoying peaks and nulls on the low end.

To get into the lower frequencies you need to go thicker. We went 9" deep on our rear wall for the low frequencies.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing! Do you mind sharing how many you built and what your total cost was? I'm sure it's a fraction of retail, but this is a step my room desperately needs as well, so I need to do my homework.

It cost me a little over 40 bucks each.  You could do it for less as I was using expensive materials.  I saw that Acoustimac.com has panels that you put together yourself for about the same amount.  That would save you some time.    I built 6 but have a frames for a couple more that I still need to put together.  

• Like 1

Yes but I need more panels.  Also, panels alone do not help the lower frequencies.  I'm still struggling with some annoying peaks and nulls on the low end.

To get into the lower frequencies you need to go thicker. We went 9" deep on our rear wall for the low frequencies.

Curious... did you experiment with different thicknesses?  I'm curious what depth threshold you crossed when it finally seemed to make a difference with the bass (below 100hz).  Looking at the specs you are led to believe that 4" will do quite a bit but it seems that 4" panels only help as far as if you happen to like the looks of 4" panels.   

Damon Payne from these Forums made some nice wide-frequency LF bass traps the following way. Get a big box of the Roxul mineral wool (you could use the OC products just as easily). Ok, a 2x4' piece can be cut in two yielding two 2x2 squares. Now divide those diagonally. You now have 4x triangles that are 2' across on two sides. Stack these in a corner. One box of 3x 6" panels would yield a 6' tower of the stuff that varies from nil depth to nearly 17".  The long side would end up being about 22" across. 

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 3

Damon Payne from these Forums made some nice wide-frequency LF bass traps the following way. Get a big box of the Roxul mineral wool (you could use the OC products just as easily). Ok, a 2x4' piece can be cut in two yielding two 2x2 squares. Now divide those diagonally. You now have 4x triangles that are 2' across on two sides. Stack these in a corner. One box of 3x 6" panels would yield a 6' tower of the stuff that varies from nil depth to nearly 17".  The long side would end up being about 22" across. 

Might want to build a frame and fabric to cover this some how.  I like the idea of using material other than fiberglass which would be quite a mess of the scratchy stuff!

Curious... did you experiment with different thicknesses?  I'm curious what depth threshold you crossed when it finally seemed to make a difference with the bass (below 100hz).  Looking at the specs you are led to believe that 4" will do quite a bit but it seems that 4" panels only help as far as if you happen to like the looks of 4" panels.   

I consulted with Bryan of GIK, and he said you need to do 4" thick panels on the first reflection panels to get down lower. On our rear wall we went 9" and put a thin sheet of rubber over the whole wall before covering with empty fabric panels...we did this to stop the highs from being absorbed and still getting the lower frequencies. 

We did that in our rear 2 corners too...works out nicely. :)