RF7 II upgrade?

Wim M

18 minutes ago, joop said:

I don't know what you use as mains, but I've never had any sub X-over as high as you say (100 Hz)  

Running modified La Scala's, they are crossed over around 90 Hz where they should be.

La Scala II's placed in corners of a 33ft long rectangular room, as in my case, will do 55 - 50Hz.  On my Parasound pre I have them cut off at this freq.  The 15" subs I now have take over from there and I think I will let the new subs do the same.

The La Scala bass bin is no longer horn loaded just over 100 Hz and rolls off sharply below. My mains are high passed @ 200 Hz just to give you a heads up.

As you say the THT can be build in a few different versions, but that's not quite clear to me, from what I find on the Bill Fitzmaurice's site.  Do you have more info on this?

There is 3 versions, snail shell, end firing and front firing all are the same horn just folded differently.

Cabinet width can be built from 15" wide to 36" wide, the wider the better. The other dimensions remain the same but width is variable.

• 5 weeks later...

Just as I came home with all the material (birch plywood, drivers, ...) I found out Klispch announced a Heritage Sub.  So I started to build anyway, 

I don't know what to think about the new Klipsch sub, it looks like a beefed up R-115SW with DSP on board.  I really would not know if this one is able to keep up with the large Heritage models like Khorns and LS's.

Now I am really hoping I won't be disappointed in these Tuba's.

On 5/17/2017 at 9:25 AM, jason str said:

The La Scala bass bin is no longer horn loaded just over 100 Hz and rolls off sharply below.

If you are using La Scalas out of boundary effect--as in outside, elevated above ground, this is correct.  However, if you place them in a small room--like those in homes...virtually all of them...boundary gain (i.e., horn loading) will lower that cutoff point.  If you place the La Scala along a wall/floor or in a corner, the gain is much greater.  This is horn gain almost an octave below the La Scala bass bin's 1/4 wavelength point.

Chris

• Like 1

On 5/17/2017 at 10:25 AM, jason str said:

The La Scala bass bin is no longer horn loaded just over 100 Hz and rolls off sharply below.

@jason str could you expound on this a bit?

What makes the bass bin loaded, and what causes it to be "no longer horn loaded?"

I thought horn loading had to do with providing a horn with enough energy to make it produce notes.  For instance a trumpet doesn't make a true note unless there is enough air going through it.

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

@jason str could you expound on this a bit?

What makes the bass bin loaded, and what causes it to be "no longer horn loaded?"

The length of the horn.

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I thought horn loading had to do with providing a horn with enough energy to make it produce notes.  For instance a trumpet doesn't make a true note unless there is enough air going through it.

I don't know jack squat about trumpets but in loudspeakers the horn itself acts as a passive amplifier.

Chris is right, floors, walls and possibly the ceiling (depending on height) can also be a loading boundary but its never going to take the place of a proper subwoofer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, joop said:

Just as I came home with all the material (birch plywood, drivers, ...) I found out Klispch announced a Heritage Sub.  So I started to build anyway, 

I don't know what to think about the new Klipsch sub, it looks like a beefed up R-115SW with DSP on board.  I really would not know if this one is able to keep up with the large Heritage models like Khorns and LS's.

Now I am really hoping I won't be disappointed in these Tuba's.

Still building ? :D

I've read with interest you journey towards the La Scala II's.

I'm a (very happy) RF7-II owner myself, pairing it with 2* SVS PBUltra13 to get that bottom end ;-)

The La Scala II's do have a rather heavy price-tag associated with them, so I can image they sound great!

On 12-8-2017 at 11:04 AM, jvanhambelgium said:

Still building ? :D

I've read with interest you journey towards the La Scala II's.

I'm a (very happy) RF7-II owner myself, pairing it with 2* SVS PBUltra13 to get that bottom end ;-)

The La Scala II's do have a rather heavy price-tag associated with them, so I can image they sound great!

Hey, another Klipsch enthousiast from Belgium!  Where are you located?

The subwoofers are finished, but haven't heard them yet.  I'm still waiting on the amp and X-over.  I ordered a QSC DCA 3022 which puts out over 1kW/ch @ 4 Ohm.  The X-over will be a Xilica XP 3060.  I'm also waiting on a few other MDF panels to make two other cabinets which have to help integrate these big boxes into our living room, you know, there's always the WAF:lol:  Not always easy to get all the materials you need during the holiday season... Hope to get them running by the end of september.

The LSII's play in another league than the RF 7II's, they are a complete different story.  The LSII is a very revealing speaker, they let you hear literally everything, with great ease, undistorted, also the weak links in your audio chain.  The R-115's were the first to be sold, next I think will be the Parasound P5 pre amp.  I'm looking for some tube pre, maybe a Mcintosh C2600 (hopefully within a few years:wacko:).  So if you add up all this, the La Scala II's come indeed with a heavy price tag. 

On 8/14/2017 at 0:06 PM, joop said:

Hey, another Klipsch enthousiast from Belgium!  Where are you located?

The subwoofers are finished, but haven't heard them yet.  I'm still waiting on the amp and X-over.  I ordered a QSC DCA 3022 which puts out over 1kW/ch @ 4 Ohm.  The X-over will be a Xilica XP 3060.  I'm also waiting on a few other MDF panels to make two other cabinets which have to help integrate these big boxes into our living room, you know, there's always the WAF:lol:  Not always easy to get all the materials you need during the holiday season... Hope to get them running by the end of september.

The LSII's play in another league than the RF 7II's, they are a complete different story.  The LSII is a very revealing speaker, they let you hear literally everything, with great ease, undistorted, also the weak links in your audio chain.  The R-115's were the first to be sold, next I think will be the Parasound P5 pre amp.  I'm looking for some tube pre, maybe a Mcintosh C2600 (hopefully within a few years:wacko:).  So if you add up all this, the La Scala II's come indeed with a heavy price tag. 

I'm located quite close to your location "Temse" I guess. I'm from the Boom/Rumst surrounding.

Mcinstosh ;-) Yeah ... break the bank ;-)

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, jason str said:

Nice work, try the subs in the corners if possible.

Break in is slow, judge them after dozens of hours of play time.

That's probably a mistake I made: I didn't break in the drivers.  Right out of the box and into the subs.