KLF 20- Ti Tweeter diaphragm changes overall sound

Stump

I finally got around to installing Titanium tweeter diaphragms in my KLF 20's and notice a huge difference in the overall sound of the speakers, not just the highs. The highs are so much smoother, but I also notice that the mids sound clearer and the low end seems more pronounced. I'm curious about what causes this, is it just perception or something electronic that changes?

In any case, this upgrade alone is well worth the cost. I might, when finances permit, upgrade the midrange diaphragms, as this is another upgrade that is recommended for these speakers. I'll try the mids from my Chorus 2's first though, to make sure I like it. Many thanks to Moray James, and others, for the information about the upgrades.

I upgraded my mid horns to the titanium and ultimately went back to the Phenolic.  I agree 100% with your assessment of the tweeter upgrade however.  Mine had poly and the titanium is head and shoulders above that material for sure.

Why did you go back to phenolic mid? The tweeter is a solid improvement and I really like the way they sound now, I don't want to "ruin" it and spend money for nothing.

• Like 1

I ran the TI for about 6 months, and switched back and just liked it better.  I am sorry I don't have a better explanation, I also took the time and expense to upgrade the xover to account for the TI and it too did not make it better.  Not worth the expense I guess is the best way to put it, my diaphragms and xover mod is in a box not being used.

The best material I have heard though, hands down is Beryllium, like found in the TAD 4002.  Too bad you couldn't get that for the Midrange of the KLF.  I would upgrade mine to that for sure.

I preferred the Crites phenolic mids over the stock and titanium. It would be nice to experiment with the Beryllium in the mids.

MJ....where you at brother?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk