Happy new owner of a BEAUTIFUL pair of La Scala's!

AaronB123

Other than the trim on the front edges, those looks the same as my '89s. Well, I don't have them anymore, but mine were walnut lacquer. LS are soooo nice!

Those are really nice looking. Listen to them for a few weeks/months, before you start changing anything on them.

Bruce

If your talking about adding crites drivers or anything like that I really had no plans to do any of that. I plan on keeping everything original unless of course something fails and I have no choice but to replace a part. 

• Like 1

Exactly! I didn't like the AL crossovers that were in mine, so I built some designed by another forum member. Eventually I added a tweeter in a small baffle on the top of the cabinet, that I slid to the back so the mid aand tweeter were time aligned.

Really, just enjoy, and listen to the music.

Bruce

Exactly! I didn't like the AL crossovers that were in mine, so I built some designed by another forum member. Eventually I added a tweeter in a small baffle on the top of the cabinet, that I slid to the back so the mid aand tweeter were time aligned.

Really, just enjoy, and listen to the music.

Bruce

What didn't you like about the AL crossovers? 

"What didn't you like about the AL crossovers?"

The sibilants on female vocals can be quite annoying, applause sounds quite strange as well.

Removing the elliptical filter (reverting back to the AA type) smooths out things quite a bit, going to an 18dB Butterworth with a small swamping resistor (maybe 40Ω) is even better.

Edited by djk

I was just wondering has anyone with older La Scala's replaced the parts with the current model La Scala part's from Klipsch? I see a lot of people talk about replacing with Crites crossovers and drivers. I spoke with a guy from Klipsch the other day when I was trying to figure out how old my speakers are and I asked if anyone has ever done that, he said yes people do it all the time. He also said they do not have any OEM parts for my particular model anymore so that's what led me to ask him about using parts from the La Scala II

Just wondering if anyone here has done it, and how they liked the results when compared to going with Crites or the stock parts for that matter.  

• 2 months later...

I think those grills come off unlike my 1980 when they used screen door trim. I took that off mine when I veneered them and used base shoe molding and new grills from klipsch. It always kinda made me mad right after I got mine they changed that grill.

Can you post a pic of your grills? My La Scalas are 81's. Curious how they look and fit as the motor board is flush with the front of the cabinet.

There are pics of my grills on here soewhere when i posted the finished pics of my scalas after putting cherry veneer on the sides and front. I seem to have trouble finding my old posts . If you PM me i can text pics to you if you want.

Thanks! I have a quick question for everyone here. What do you guys use to clean your speakers? Do you guys polish the wood or anything like that? I was thinking of perhaps doing that but was curious as to what everyone here recommends.

It depends on what finish you have on your speakers. Is it a lacquer finish, an oil finish, or polyurethane, etc.

With my lacquer or poly finishes, I usually just use a lightly damp cloth(cotton T-shirt) to dust them.  I occasionally(once or twice/year) use Pledge or Old English Scratch Cover to bring out the shine.  With oil finishes, Formby's or Old English Lemon Oil about twice a year.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks! I have a quick question for everyone here. What do you guys use to clean your speakers? Do you guys polish the wood or anything like that? I was thinking of perhaps doing that but was curious as to what everyone here recommends.

It depends on what finish you have on your speakers. Is it a lacquer finish, an oil finish, or polyurethane, etc.

I know he said they were unfinished birch and he sanded them down and refinished then. This is what he used.

post-62430-0-35740000-1469395455_thumb.j

• 5 months later...
On 4/17/2016 at 9:16 AM, Schu said:

Very nice looking LS's for sure... congrates. Hopefully that molding is nailed on and not glued.

Yes they are nailed on with finish nails (pre-drilled then filled with with wood filler to conceal holes. I know because Aaron bought them from me and I am the one who did that to them  : )

• Like 2