Happy new owner of a BEAUTIFUL pair of La Scala's!

AaronB123

As many of you may know, I was on the hunt for a pair of La Scala's for quite some time now and last night I found the perfect pair! I picked them up today, met the guy he was a die hard Klipsch fan, a really great guy that took absolutely amazing care of the speakers as you will be able to tell from the pictures. 

I couldn't be happier and I wanted to share with everyone here. They were manufactured in 91 

post-62430-0-54740000-1460860652_thumb.j

• Like 13

The trim is a little odd for my taste, but those are SWEET. Glad you passed on the last pair you were posting about.

:emotion-21:

So am I!!! The only reason I even considered those is because of sheer desperation! One thing that I actually just happened to notice though when testing them is that the midrange on one of the speakers is making like a vibrating noise. It's definitely not blown and sounds to be coming from the magnet. When I hold the magnet the vibration noise disappears. Do you think perhaps that could be due to the  driver being a bit loose? If so how would I go about tightening it? 

Congrats, glad you found a beautiful pair.  Yes try to attempt to tighten the driver down to the horn, also check the screws that mount the horn to the motorboard.  You might need to order some replacement gaskets for the horn to driver mount.  If you do, go ahead and order a crossover refresh kit, but hold off on installing it.   Enjoy for now.

• Like 2

Congrats, glad you found a beautiful pair.  Yes try to attempt to tighten the driver down to the horn, also check the screws that mount the horn to the motorboard.  You might need to order some replacement gaskets for the horn to driver mount.  If you do, go ahead and order a crossover refresh kit, but hold off on installing it.   Enjoy for now.

Thanks for the input, I tried tightening the driver to the horn which actually was a little loose but that didn't help. Where would I go about ordering those things, Klipsch? 

Thanks for the input, I tried tightening the driver to the horn which actually was a little loose but that didn't help. Where would I go about ordering those things, Klipsch? 

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

I don't know if the gasket is the actual problem, but they are cheap enough.

As many of you may know, I was on the hunt for a pair of La Scala's for quite some time now and last night I found the perfect pair! I picked them up today, met the guy he was a die hard Klipsch fan, a really great guy that took absolutely amazing care of the speakers as you will be able to tell from the pictures. 

I couldn't be happier and I wanted to share with everyone here. They were manufactured in 91 

Look great, sound great. Congrats!. :emotion-21:

Awesome find, congrats, those are beautiful. It's nice when people take care of their gear huh?

What will power them?

Nice car :D

I'll be powering them with a Pioneer VSX-90 and that's not my car that was the sellers car. Was very nice, he also had a gorgeous Harley. 

The trim is a little odd for my taste, but those are SWEET. Glad you passed on the last pair you were posting about.

:emotion-21:

So am I!!! The only reason I even considered those is because of sheer desperation! One thing that I actually just happened to notice though when testing them is that the midrange on one of the speakers is making like a vibrating noise. It's definitely not blown and sounds to be coming from the magnet. When I hold the magnet the vibration noise disappears. Do you think perhaps that could be due to the  driver being a bit loose? If so how would I go about tightening it? 

You can fix the vibration yourself with some super glue. I will look for the youtube video describing how you do it. From memory you remove the driver and disassemble it and and then apply super glue to the inside and let it set overnight. Using guide studs you reassemble the driver. Really not hard to do. 

Not actually seeing your driver I am going to say the vibration is coming from the plastic piece on the back of the driver vibrating from coming loose. The reason for disassembling the driver is obvious, you do not want any super glue leaking inside gluing the membrane. 

A decent replacement driver is the Selenium D250X but you do not need to buy a pair if you repair the driver vibrating. The problem is not uncommon with the K55M driver. 

OK, I found one youtube video on this repair. It is not the one I first watched but I think you can get the idea. With some searching you can find more videos on this repair.

And I think your speakers are lovely. 

Thank you so much for this! 

• Like 1

wdecho is probably right, and that vid will help. There were two things not covered in that vid that happened to me. One was the voice coil was rubbing because it was bent slightly. I took it out and bent it rounder. I suppose the guy that put it in got a little sloppy. The other thing was that it wasn't even the speaker making the noise. It was something resonating behind it.

The cap on the back of the magnet was loose on one and a little rtv around the outside like in the vid fixed it right up. That would be fixed in the video above.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

wdecho is probably right, and that vid will help. There were two things not covered in that vid that happened to me. One was the voice coil was rubbing because it was bent slightly. I took it out and bent it rounder. I suppose the guy that put it in got a little sloppy. The other thing was that it wasn't even the speaker making the noise. It was something resonating behind it.

The cap on the back of the magnet was loose on one and a little rtv around the outside like in the vid fixed it right up. That would be fixed in the video above.

Ya, that's what it sounds like with mine too like the cap on the magnet is loose I really don't even think it's coming from inside the speaker because like I said when I put my hand over the magnet it stops it. what's rtv stand for?