Tactile Transducers aka Bass Shakers

RoboKlipsch

I'm interested.  I know little about them, don't have a large budget.

My couch which is my MLP, is one without a lot of wood, there is a metal frame, modular top pieces hook on.

Seats themselves are suspended over a metal frame, a bit of wood in a few places.

Seats have wiring going through them like a mattress coil style without visible coils, wire frame for seat I guess.

Could I attach one to each metal frame wiring directly under the seat?  

Are they worthwhile, do you like them, Aura's OK, need something better, etc?

Any experience with these is helpful.  Honestly I don't want to spend much more than a few hundred, 300 tops on this to start at least.  Preferably a few hundred to test it out.  

Please share if you have an interest!

• Like 1

I have the Dayton Aura Pro's.  TT are a good supplement to the sub/s.  Even though I have a large number of subs, they still increase the tactile feel.  Mines are mounted on thin, wide and long boards to the under spring of the sectional/couch with zip cord.  I would buy 4, for  wiring purposes and a good effect.  I had the Dayton amps but, was not happy and brought an I Nuke DSP amp for them.  I set a 6th order slope (Butterworth 48 db slope) at 20 and 40-45 Hz.  I bought 8 Aura Pro's due to wiring and the sectional couch size.

Edited by derrickdj1

To clarify then...you bolted the units to the board, and then each board was zip corded to the underside of the metal framing under the cushion.  Let me know how much of the underside of the seat is covered by the board....i.e. 50%, 75% etc please.  How much power to you allow into the units and do you use most of it?

Thanks derrick

The board are 1/2 or 3/4 in. thick.  Make them as long and as wide as possible to fit the structure.  There are strong TT's like the Crowson and Buttkicker.  Most people that use these will mount them to a riser.  If these are 5 star, the Aura is around a 4.5 star TT.  Don't get impressed with there watts handling since all of the TT's are limited by excursion.

Did tying the board to the bottom of the seats/cushions change the seating comfort?  Can I ask how many cords/ties were used to attach to the wire framing?  

I'm happy just to give the whole idea a try, I'm sure it's a fun experience.

Really cool to hear the Aura's are enough...if someone with 6 18" subs is happy with them, me and my one sub should be blown away.  

Rk

Thanks again Derrick!  And to anybody else who has tried them, please feel free to share any experiences or preferences you have

Derrick I realized I have an old JVC amp, 100x5 that I'm not using and that isn't worth much trying to sell it.

It's capable of 4 ohm, but with 5 channels I figure it doesn't really matter, does it?  I can just hook up one per channel, and make sure not to turn it too high.

Any issues with going this route?  The sub out from my Denon already is set to crossovers of 60hz front/center and 80hz surrounds, and then 80hz LFE.  Would I need or want any mod with that output?

I'm ready to pull the trigger here, getting pumped about yet another feature :) 

You can use the old amp but, an I Nuke 1000 DSP is a better option and not to expensive.  You will need to be able to set hpf / lpf on that amp.  Nothing needs to change in the Denon avr.

The I Nuke will allow you not to exceed the voltage limit for the transducers without guessing.  It can all allow for bass boost or decrease safely.  Turning the gain knob does little to tell you where you are, as far as, the power limits of the TT.

Edited by derrickdj1

Ordered 4 for the couch!  I will try out the JVC to start and make a switch if I have problems.  Not that I don't want that INuke control, but 2bills is more than the TTs....got start small and see where it goes.  Thanks so much for all the answers and experience derrick.

I turned over the couch, it actually has 4 spots I think I can mount it to the frame, isolate the couch with some heavy rubber feet and be good to go.  If the frame doesn't give the right feedback I will make up the seat ones as you suggested.

I'm sure these are famous last words...but I think this is my last add to the system for a while, it's just about what I want :)

RK

Ordered 4 for the couch! I will try out the JVC to start and make a switch if I have problems. Not that I don't want that INuke control, but 2bills is more than the TTs....got start small and see where it goes. Thanks so much for all the answers and experience derrick.

I turned over the couch, it actually has 4 spots I think I can mount it to the frame, isolate the couch with some heavy rubber feet and be good to go. If the frame doesn't give the right feedback I will make up the seat ones as you suggested.

I'm sure these are famous last words...but I think this is my last add to the system for a while, it's just about what I want :)

RK

problem with running them off a full range amp is you have zero ability to EQ them. And when I say EQ them I mean to apply filters where they need to be applied. The aura's can't play really low or you'll tear them up. And if they play to high 40-50hz or higher they get extremely distracting and audible. You would need a mini dsp to make your full range amplifier work properly for them.
  • Like 1

Will do and thank you again.  I actually decided to try Dayton's own TT   :ph34r: .  They claim they are also rated 50W, are built stronger and better than the competition, have only a very small peak at 30 and have a nice flat response rated (?) down to 10hz.  I figured why not give them a shot?

As for the amp, I definitely can understand the INUKE being a better option and if necessary will switch over.  It's just that the INUKE would cost more than the TT, so to start I felt it was better to see what I get without spending the extra $$$.  

Should arrive by tomorrow and be installed within a day of that! 

I am taking the signal from either the subwoofer out on the amp, or from the sub itself.

When I take that RCA cable and plug it into the receiver I have (5x100watts), how can I input the signal such that the receiver would allow me to output it to all 5 channels?  Can I?

Thank you,

RK

Interesting amplifier I'm using.  The manual ( :) ) says it is:

120watts/2 channels into 8 ohms, .02thd

120watts/2 channels into 4 ohms .08thd

100 watts/5 channels into 8 ohms

When I was testing the units, I used one channel from each of the two sets of front channels (L/R, L2/R2).  it worked no problem.

When I attempted to plug in both of the front channels of just one set of speakers, rated to 4 ohms (or 8), it shutdown with an OVERLOAD message

When I went back to using 1 channel each from the 2 different sets of fronts (set to 8ohms), and wired the 4 shakers into 2 sets of 2 for the inputs, worked like a charm

Maybe someone with electrical knowledge would know why?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The shakers are up and running :emotion-19: , it was a 5 hour ordeal due to the couch with 2 recliners having so many moving parts.  The center space was easy, but the two sides with recliners had all kinds of issues with the seat combined with the shaker bottoming onto the metal frame parts.  I experimented with attaching to the back of the chair but it did not have nearly the shake as doing what derrick suggested.  Eventually I got them all wired up, one per seat on the couch (MLP), and one attached to one of the 2 chairs in the space (one on each side, only one has the shaker).  

My initial impression is WTF!  Fun and crazy, like having a giant PS4 or XBOX controller that I'm sitting on.  I isolated the couch using 8 rubber rectangles about an inch or so thick.  I used 2 crude SPL meters on my phone, and amazingly they DO have that sub type rumble and some SPL.  I pseudo-calibrated the shakers to about 6db less than the sub using the main amps test tone.  Unbelievable I would have never guessed!  It's likely just a tad too high...lowering it a bit I can tell it could become subtle yet awesome, an effect.  I think gaming may benefit as much or more than even HT.  My first thought with music is it would work turned down to a much lower level. 

Experimentation is the key!  Most people don't use them for music. The Aura and the blue one from Dayton will peak.  Going down to 10 Hz in meaningless.  Both are 50 watts and going that low is an excursion/displacement problem.  I would use hpf and lpf to be safe.  TT's work much harder than the subs!

Derrick after about an hour of playing around with them....OMG I love these things!  LOL they are awesome.   Once I lowered the level a bit it reached that spot where it feels like the sub playing the notes.  

I completely understand about how low it plays.  With my wiring setup I think the max they could get is 30 watts each, and I don't even think they need that much, they seem to be set to a level about 1/4 or 1/3 on the volume knob.  

I'm using an amp with a low pass filter at 80hz, and the sub signal is also crossed at 60hz front, center and 80hz surrounds.  

For a high pass filter, would an FMOD work and not cause any sound issues?  I've seen ones at 20hz or 25hz at partsexpress. 

I purchased and installed the FMOD.  One was not enough, it still hit Xmax at higher volumes running test tones.

My goal with the shakers was the same as with the sub - set it up such that it can't be overdriven.

By installing both in-line, it works perfectly now.  In fact, it seemed to attenuate the signal somewhat where the higher end around 60-75 is a bit more clear while before it was non-existent.

Now, at any setting, it will roll off starting at 20, still vibrate down to 15 and even 10 at the higher volumes either on the AVR or the shaker amp.  But it never hits XMAX, or at least I haven't tested it hard enough to do so.

All I can tell people is, this is by far one of the least expensive, most fun things you can install.

*****YOUTHMAN I KNOW YOU HEAR ME OUT THERE****** get some for that theater.  At least test them, as they are unbelievable.

Next post for more detailed thoughts --