Tactile Transducers aka Bass Shakers

RoboKlipsch

The shakers are fun because.....

1) No matter what subs you have, Jurassic World just went from a silly fun movie to an experience.  The dinosaur stomps are incredible.  

2) At lower volumes, I can simulate the sub effects without having to blast the system, or the sub.

3) Unless you have a sub that can slam all the way down below 20...the shakers can and will simulate those frequencies through vibration.

4) I'm fairly certain that unless you have a massive sub array at full volume...you cannot really fully reproduce all the tactile sensation these create.

5) They are inexpensive.  Using an old amp, I have 4 setup, cost was the shakers, a pair of FMODS, speaker wire and about 5 hours. 

6) They have their own volume/shake control.  At low AVR volume, you can set these to either be a very subtle addition to the sub, or slam.  At high volume, you again have the choice of complimenting the sub (not distracting you but enhancing the experience) or turning them up for the big experience.

7) The shakers actually do a pretty good job of starting and stopping with the sub.  There is little lag that I noticed.

8) While testing there was a time I thought the sub was on, yet it wasn't.  All that bass was coming through the shakers, and at low volumes it was good enough I was fooled.   Yes really.   And yes, I am new so you likely wouldn't be.

9) Video games may be the single most impressive application.  If you have used a modern gaming system with a shock or rumble controller, you understand what shake is.  Except you don't.  the bass shakers are so much more advanced, and the vibration so much more visceral, you will laugh at your controller shaking from that moment on.  Call of Duty is a sick game as is everything else with shakers on...absolutely stunning.

The shakers are limited with regard to....

1) Audio fidelity.  You have high grade speakers working with a vibrating speaker/shaker.  With music especially, it needs to be turned down to a subtle effect or off.   They are pretty good at mimicking the sub as far as starts an stops, but depending upon the content, it sounds almost perfect...or sometimes slightly muddy.

2) Location/integration.  At any significant volume for the shakers, they create their own sound, no matter how much may be vibration.  This sound mingles with the sound from the sub itself, and thus there is a form of a near-field sub changing the sound dynamics.  This is significant, but depends upon how much LFE there is in a given movie or show.

3) The dayton ones I bought I would guess are comparable to the Aura's and the blue ones that cost 2x as much.  These are all inexpensive compared to a buttkicker or the like.  So if you want the entire couch to bounce up and down, the basic ones aren't enough.  But being honest, I cannot imagine wanting that much bounce.  And I'm a pretty hardcore gamer and movie nut. 

How do you "calibrate" your shaker setup?  

Well technically you can't, there is no "right" setting.  But you can in fact run test tones with the sub on and off, and then the shakers on and off, and get a sense of how the two work together...what volume the shakers are subtle, what volume they are pronounced, at what volume do they overtake the sub.  It's really like most things that can't be calibrated...a matter of trial and error.  If you have a DSP-enabled amp, that will help as far as smoothing out the response.  But I ask again, what does that mean, exactly?  Is "right" a perfect smooth curve or experience?   Personally I think if you have a DSP it would help (as derrick suggested), but without one I don't see a real need to get one for the cost.  

How do you set them up?  I'll save that for future posts, and will take some pictures of mine for anybody who wants the reference.

• Like 1

I'm surprised honestly that nobody in the forum has an interest in the bass shakers, or discussing them

If you haven't tried them before, there is nothing cheaper you can add to your system that has a more fun and interesting effect

if you have tried them before and have an opinion, please share

With action movies or shows, it's absolutely fantastic.  If you love bass, you can simulate it pretty well at lower volumes, or augment it big time with the shakers.

Bumpity bump, won't bump it again but thought it was a very worthy topic.  

The Aura Pro and other TT's  have to be set to avoid the Hass effect.  This is decrease imaging, muddy crashes and explosions.  Keep the TT's 10 db lower than the other calibrated speaker.  All TT's will make sound which is why observing the Hass effect needs to be done.  Calibration can be done in one of three ways:

1. Spl next to the shaker and use pink noise at 50 Hz to calibrate them to 10 db less than speaker.

2. Calibrate them based on voltage to achieve -36 db above reference.

3. VibSensor accelerator- most complex but, can be used to tune up the FR.

4. Caution using EQ, these are not subs and will not respond in the same fashion.  Use a minimal amount of EQ.

If integrated right, they are a nice addition to movie and maybe music.  If not they will appear gimmicky.  Also, use 12 g wire on the shakers.  It will decrease resistance and help them stay cooler, delivering more power and damping.  All TT's are 4 ohm or less.  Use a 4 ohm stable amp and even 2 ohm is great.  Enjoy! :)

Edited by derrickdj1

I have 2 Aura's on my couch, I think they are cool too.   Very cheap really and it adds to the whole movie special effects.  My system is in my basement on concrete slab so none of the shake of my subwoofer makes through the floor into any seating location.   Like you said they are great when you can't blast the sub but still want that feel.  

I really enjoyed your write-up - I think it may have pushed me in the direction of trying 4 bass shakers on my sectional this summer.  I have 2 SVS SB13 Ultras and they get really loud and have good extension, but they don't produce quite as much tactile feedback as I'd like since they are in a 5000+ sq foot basement on a cement slab.  

I'll probably try the 4 ADX Maximus Shakers  with the Dayton Audio SA230 bundle that parts-express currently has on special. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to get it installed and set-up.

I really enjoyed your write-up - I think it may have pushed me in the direction of trying 4 bass shakers on my sectional this summer.  I have 2 SVS SB13 Ultras and they get really loud and have good extension, but they don't produce quite as much tactile feedback as I'd like since they are in a 5000+ sq foot basement on a cement slab.  

I'll probably try the 4 ADX Maximus Shakers  with the Dayton Audio SA230 bundle that parts-express currently has on special. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to get it installed and set-up.

For that size room the TT's will be a welcome addition.  Consider an I Nuke 1000 or 3000 DSP amp.  They don't get hot like my SA 230 did and offer some DSP which can really feel out the TT's low end.

• Like 1

Thank you and great to hear!  I'm looking forward to the review when you put them in.

One element of the ADX's is they have mounting holes that are 4" apart (I think in a 4-square shape).  That is smaller than the distance between the holes on either of the other models.  It doesn't sound like it will matter necessarily, but you'd be surprised when you turn over the couch!   The others are something like 5-1/4 or 5-1/2" apart. 

Thanks for the info! I accidentally typed square feet instead of cubic - 5000 square feet would need about 25 SB13 Ultras :)

I'll look into the I Nuke 1000 - I was planning on having the amp sit under the couch, so it is good to know that the Dayton tends to run hot. Would the 1000 be adequate for 3 or 4 shakers?

For a couch, use 4 shakers.  Wiring is a headace with 3.  I have mines mounted to large boards on the under surface of the springs in the couch sectional.  You can also use a 2 x 6 boards or similar and connect it to the frame.  The 1000 DSP I Nuke should be fine.  Here is some vibration data of my shakers without and with some DSP from 10-30 Hz.

post-50685-0-38080000-1462837613_thumb.p

post-50685-0-72360000-1462837623_thumb.p

Edited by derrickdj1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I had the chance to listen to a fleet of Marty Subs, almost all the sizes from Full at least through Johnny and then some sealed subs.  I doubt many systems are more capable than this one was.

The bottom line in my view, is that setting these up in the couch is almost an exact, identical sensation as listening to a large array of subs.  At lower volumes or higher volumes, it really is the identical feeling.  At lower volumes, your mind knows that something is out of whack...the volume isn't loud enough for this.  But imo, they are an incredible investment for anybody who ever wants to listen at volumes under reference with sub-like rumble, and also for anybody who does not have subs that are strong down low.

It's really a perfect solution for a home theater fan who lives in an apt, an adjoined condo, or has family that prevents full use of powerful subs.  No matter what subs I ever have, I never plan to take them out of my couch.  

Derrick's comments about the amp needed are important too.  They simply don't need a lot of power, don't spend a lot on an amp.

Just come to my house, the Marty's and shakers are in the system, lol.  Even with ten 18 in driver, the shakers still add some extra umph at reference! RoboKlipsch came over one day to demo the system.  A really nice guy!

Edited by derrickdj1

Derrickdj I read through some earlier threads and saw one from a few years ago where u talked about not wanting a fleet of subs....lol how things change. Best system I've ever heard including showrooms at ABT. Better than a 500k setup. Dj knows bass ☺

Derrickdj I read through some earlier threads and saw one from a few years ago where u talked about not wanting a fleet of subs....lol how things change. Best system I've ever heard including showrooms at ABT. Better than a 500k setup. Dj knows bass ☺

now find someone with some big boy subs and some cinema gear! ;)

Although his bass could be more potent than mine

• Like 1