Adventure time and my new thumper

mustang guy

I have taken several day trips on the BWM this spring. I just can't get enough of it. 

JjHmIo2h.jpg

Put some new tires on Friday. I got on a rutted out muddy road the other day and it wore me out. The tires were worn out, and even new they weren't very good off road. These should get me up those dirt roads a little better:

qoox3Nbh.jpg

I missed having a dirt bike since I sold my Husky so I went and bought a KTM 350 XCF-W. Now I am set. This and push mowing the yard is my exercise. I am so out of shape that easy stuff wears me out. That is all about to change:

z12CqYCh.jpg

HpPIaf5h.jpg

• Like 2

Did you buy the KTM used?  From a guy near Twin Lakes Road near North Hills?  A guy put his 2014 KTM 350 up for sale on the local Bulletin Board a few weeks ago, but I didn't know if it sold.  The bike in your pic looks brand spankin' new.

+++

I was surprised to see the pics of the new tires.  That is a much more aggressive tread than I thought!  It is more of a semi-knobby than the universal tread I was expecting.  It looks like it has a nice smooth tread right in the middle for highway use.

+++

I meant to ask you how the trip went to Big Muskie on the BMW?  I've never been there, but from what I know, I presume you go along a dirt road or jeep trail to get to it?  That would be a perfect road and a cool trip for an adventure bike.

+++

For the rest of you guys, Big Muskie is shovel.  A really big one they used to use for strip mines and then abandoned when they quit mining coal.  It was too big to move so they just left it where it lay.  Now it is a tourist attraction in Ohio.  (stock internet pic, not mine)

4736613077_ab7d69e661_z.jpg

Edited by wvu80

I bought it new up in Marietta, but it was a 2015 model so I got $1400 off. $8100 out the door.

Yeah, I rode the BMW up to the shovel. My son rode his vstrom. 

nnxRTvxh.jpg

hmhxwvjh.jpg

SzzB4tKh.jpg

My son tried to lift a free end of one of the chain links and couldn't budge it.

I was trying to find the strip mine lakes I had heard about all those years, so we went up some rutted out muddy roads. The tires I was sporting were 80/20, or pretty much street. They were down to the wear bars too. I slid around like I was on grease. My son took a video of me, but since he is kinda new on the adventure type bikes, he fell behind a bit. All in all, I am glad to have some tires now.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Fantastic, Craig.  And to be out adventure biking with your son?  I'm not sure it gets any better than that.

In honor of your thread title Adventure Time, here is a classic, Stan Kenton's Adventures in Time.  The opener will blow you away.

• Like 1

Nice scooters. Now put some street tires on that KTM and have some fun :D

I had a supermotard and it was a blast. I took a DRZ400S and turned it into a hopped up 400SM.

http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/wvmustangs/slideshow/2003%20Suzuki%20DRZ%20400%20SM

Sweet machine, I like what you did with it, especially the rims.

• Like 1

That KTM is sweet! I looked hard at KTM when I was looking around, I just couldn't drop the coin on it stellar off road bike. I ended up buying a WR250R I enjoy it for the type of riding I do (fire trails). Why the h%ll did you sell the Husky?

This is my first KTM. I sold the Husky because it was like a pogo stick, and it was too powerful for trail riding. Here is that bike. As you can see, I stripped everything off it replaced the heavy exhaust and made it 100% enduro:

IMG_1612-1.jpg

IMG_1609-1.jpg

I looked seriously at the WR250. It is a great bike. I have had a couple of Yammy's and other than the carbs being set too lean from the factory, they were bulletproof. What I like about this bike is the fuel injection and the electric start. It has great power, and is as light as my RMZ250 was with a nice suspension to boot. 

• Like 1

Took a 3 day road trip last week. I really like the new K60's. I rode 18 miles of gravel and my knuckles weren't white once.

fishing the Williams river:

KQNcJzEh.jpg

Cass railroad...closed still:  :(

tMzvtT4h.jpg

Seneca rocks, but sadly there was a little red and white private property sign about a mile up:

aD21uWDh.jpg

Snowshoe. Everything is closed until Memorial Day, but I have a condo there as a base of operations. The Helipad is for when folks ski into trees. 

qMdi9f2h.jpg

Bear Rocks in Dolly Sods. In late summer, the place is filled with wild blueberries:

g67vr8gh.jpg

SX3mIREh.jpg

• Like 1

Those places Craig has traveled to in West Virginia is like a "who's who" of famous places in our state.  The twisty windy roads are perfect for his BMW 1200 GS and his son's Suzuki V-strom.

Dolly Sods is an area, and it's like living history with the fauna and plants traveling through millions of years of development in a 20 or 30 mile stretch.  Plant life biologists or botanists have a field day in that place!

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I just saw the THUMPER title and it brought back memories. Late 60's Benelli single lung 350 cc purchased at Montgomery Ward's at the Big Town Shopping Center in Dallas. Darn thing would never start without pushing it but now that I see today's prices :o :o :o

post-19886-0-66420000-1461444805_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 2

I just saw the THUMPER title and it brought back memories. Late 60's Benelli single lung 350 cc purchased at Montgomery Ward's at the Big Town Shopping Center in Dallas. Darn thing would never start without pushing it but now that I see today's prices :o :o :o

Montomery Ward's. Now there's a company I remember well! I have never seen a Benelli motorcycle in person. I have seen their shotguns, and they are top notch. As with any Italian motor, sexy and fast come to mind.