Heresy Wood Maintenace

RichardE

Haven't done anything to my 1974 Heresy walnut (I think?) speaker enclosures for a long while and was wondering what to put on them to preserve finish. I think it is some kind of wood oil. These have been stored for 6 years. Dug them out and hooked them up because we're moving in few months. Forgot how great they are. 

post-62880-0-69420000-1460995282_thumb.j

My recommendation would be to use the regular walnut color of Howard's restore a finish and apply it with medium pressure with a quadruple zero steel wool. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it dry. Then use Howard's feed n wax over that. Apply with the grain.

I guess the word "correct" is all a matter of perspective. I guess it doesn't really matter, but I have used the Howard's products quite a bit and they are very good in my opinion. I seriously doubt if anyone would be asking what you used to freshen up the finish…

Thanks to you all. Not sure which I'll use to refinish. It'll probably be based on something practical, like which of the two (or three) products are carried by the store I frequent.

Also, thanks for the info on year of production. I was kind of guessing based on the timeframe of attendance at UW-Milwaukee. Bought them at a good old fashion audiophile store, Flanner and Hafsous (Sp.?} in Mayfair Mall. Used to enjoy going there and wishing I had some money. Recall the speakers cost about $600 for the pair. I see the new heresy's go for $1,000 a piece.

If they are walnut oil, Tung oil will give them a very nice shine and protect them.  Put a few coats on with the same method as described above.  For a really deep shine, use 0000 steel wool.  It will clean up any old build up and will have a very deep luster.  Also protects some against scratching and dampness.

I've just used Watco Rejuvenating Oil on a pair of Walnut Oiled Quartets and a pair of Oak Oiled Chorus lls as well as the Walnut cabinet for a McIntosh MA6200 Integrated Amp...other than about knocking me out with the fumes (well ventilated next time for sure) they look great...I can't say better than using Dr. Bill's formula (not me Bill but member Dr. Bill) of BLO and Gum Turpentine but the Watco was all in one and about $6 bucks at Home Depot...

I also did the top of a Mahogany Dining Room Server and the four wood numbers for my address attached to the front of my house...everything looks great and I am careful with the items I used (fire hazard)...

Bill

The Watco seems to have left the finish nice and smooth and not having raised the grain...although they were only just done about an hour ago and I rubbed them with an old cotton sock afterwards...thus far, I think the Watco will replace the BLO recipe' but honestly...they smell like they are the same thing... ;)

Bill

Edited by silversport

• 1 month later...

Hello Gents. I just acquired my first Klipsch but after hearing them, they won't be the last; 1980 H-700 in oiled walnut. My first thought was to call the company to get some steerage on how to care for the pair  - great service from Matt on date codes, a reference to Bob Crites, an opinion on recapping the crossovers, pilgrimages and refinishing. Matt asked "the guy" that knows most about Hersey finishes and suggested Murphy's Wood Oil. Of course, I can't find it but the "soap" is everywhere. I don't want to touch the speaks until I am completely clear on how to proceed and was glad to see the learned opinions above. So.. Murphy's Wood Oil.. any users of same or feedback?  Thanks.

Absolutely NO, NO, NO, on Murphy's Wood Soap. I believe there is no Murphy's Wood Oil which is why you can't find it probably.

We've had a couple of go-arounds on this. One of our members did great damage to his lacquered speakers with the stuff.

You should read the label closely. It is only for cleaning a floor with a very thick finish on it. And I wouldn't recommend that. Read closely and see that it is not recommended for bare wood and our speakers are just oiled wood in most cases.

You can read the MSDS and see that it is a type of soap made with potassium hydroxide and oil. These are stand ins for other soaps which are made with fats and sodium hydroxide (lye). But pretty much the same. Also, it is mixed with water. Water is terrible for any fine wood.

Using Murphy's is like lathering up a bar of Ivory and slathering it on.

There is lots of advice on the forum. Ordinary "lemon" oil furniture polish will be okay. It is just a little lemon perfume and a lot of mineral oil (motor oil is mineral oil too but that sort of overstated the case and people took me to task on that, but you get the picture.)

Other people like Watco oils including Rejuvenating Oil but there can be fire hazards. So read the labels.

Again. NO Murphy's EVER.

WMcD.

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 2

Thanks WMcD. Soap avoided! :-) In reading the thread, I found Howard Restor-a-Finish, Watco Danish Oil in Medium and Dark walnut and Watco Rejuvenating Oil locally. I'm guessing I could always go with the Lemon oil as a first pass then come back with another product down the road when I gather the intestinal fortitude.

I like the BLO and turpentine mixture.  If you go that direction, use a good grade of turpentine.  The Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart type turpentine can vary dramatically from lot to lot, and some is bad (mixes poorly, smells horrible).  Grumbacher distributes excellent turpentine, and you can get it at Hobby Lobby (in small jars).

post-12078-0-50400000-1465957323_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have used Watco rejuvenating oil before and it worked well, the thing I didnt like was it left a sheen to the speakers. I went with Old English Lemon Oil and quad 0 steel wool. I work it into a slurry and it removes water rings and really gives them a flat finish. The key is to just keep working the 1st coat until it's almost thick and then steel wool it in the direction of the grain. This pair (with water rings) hadn't seen oil since they were made (I'm guessing) and after 3 apps they are almost ready to become Super Heresys, pending approval from the gentleman providing me the help I'm going to need. :) :) :)

Mark

post-48599-0-40600000-1465959968_thumb.j

post-48599-0-87960000-1465959984_thumb.j

post-48599-0-52160000-1465960003_thumb.j