Cut in RP-140SA woofer rubber surround...

Furball

Hello,

About a month ago I got 2 pairs of the RP-140SA Atmos speakers.  My cats seem to have taken on a habit of abusing them however... I have since used a bunch of velcro tape to secure the speakers to the tops of the other speakers so the cats don't knock them down, and I also discovered that I have to secure the grilles down as the cats manage to knock the grilles off when only connected with magnets.

Anyway, during this phase of trying to 'cat-proof' the things, yesterday I discovered that a cat claw managed to slit the rubber surround of one of the speakers when they removed the grille.  The woofer itself is undamaged, but there is a hole in the rubber.  These seem to be enclosed speaker cabinets by design however now mine is not enclosed.  I'm not exactly sure what I should do about this, if I should do anything about it.  Is there a recommended procedure for fixing such a thing?  Should I see about getting a replacement woofer?  Is this important?

Thanks

Since it's just a slit--You could get some

Permatex Clear Gasket Sealers and use a little to put over

the slit---I don't thnk it will affect the sound and will Stop any air leak

which WILL affect the sound--Or buy a New Driver.

6 years ago when I got my current cat I had Klipsch speakers. My first ones actually. I wanted to get her a nice cat tree. Spent about 160$ on a sweet one with replaceable scratch pad. Huge road wrapped piece and of course the whole thing is carpet. Now she liked it but also liked to claw at rugs and the couches. Every time I caught her I'd yell at her and chase her away. Fast forward six months her cat tree is THE ONLY things she ever scratches at. I've had the Svs cylinder subs and tons of speakers that would just lure your everyday cat in for the kill, but not her. She knows better.

• Like 1

Lol XD

I'm contacting Klipsch to see how much a replacement woofer costs for these, I would also need to figure out how to replace it... I'm not sure how to replace the modern woofers, the screws seem to be covered in a rubber trim of sorts.

If it's not too much I may just replace it, otherwise I will see about sealing it, though deep down it will continue to annoy me knowing that speaker is like that lol.

My cats seem to leave the speakers alone when I am around, I only caught one of them in the act once, was more of accident though.  Cat was just trying to jump on my rear surround speaker, not expecting a new speaker be sitting atop it.  Sadly this is the speaker that is damaged now.  The grille seems to be more firmly attached now, so the grille will take a beating until the cats can figure out it's not good to go up there.  Ah, the poor unfortunate life of speaker grilles with cats....  my full set of Klipsch home theater speakers have been around with my cats for over 10 years now, however this is the first time anyone has poked a hole through one, considering the nature of these upward firing speakers.