Question regarding new forum signature policy

I have never complained, except once to Amy about the auto-censor filtering out the word "Bullshit," even though it was PWK's favorite.  As we all know, that got fixed. 

I agree with the point that Jason str made.  I would think that the few complaints that need to be made should be on the open forum, where all can see.  Complaining privately and/or complaining to someone's boss strikes me as -- let me summon my kindergarten vocabulary -- tattletale-like, or scaredy cat.

I HOPE that people will still be able to list their websites in the "members" section.  Just in case that gets banned, I copied into my bookmarks one member's website which is full of extremely thoughtful and moving writing.

Edited by garyrc

If anyone looks at my post history, it has been rich in trying to help other folks here.      Upset.   Lars

I think you've been a good Klipschite, Lars.  The mods already said your "feeler" had nothing to do with the policy change, the posts probably passed each other.

Edit:  I just saw there are 62 posts on this thread.  I see I'm commenting on something that has already been successfully resolved.

And even though I would not probably use your woodworking services because of geography, I like to know who has skills and who is putting them out there to Forumites.  I like to know who has crossover services like Dean G and others, I like to know who does what.

Any forumite who participates and shares his expertise for free is OK in my book and is welcome to link to their website.  Actively promoting a business is a whole other thing, but it looks like we are throwing the baby out with the bath water.  For the sake of Forum Harmony, I guess sometimes that happens.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

For the record in regards to mine which I have removed, I had explicit permission from an admin prior to including mine, based on the fact that Panacea Engineering has been doing the same thing on an even broader level, for the past four years, with full support of apparently all the admins as well as corporate, and a few other members seemingly going well beyond that timeline. I'm more than happy to follow whatever rules there are, just make them universal, and complain about them universally.

Since we're going here though, maybe consider a cap on the number of lines you can have in your signature. Links or not, I don't really see the point in having to scroll through a 20 line signature over and over. And over. There's several of them. Nobody cares.

Knowing what equipment someone has can prove helpful if they are having problems.  It also gives newbies a chance to see what may compliment their system.  This is a Klipsch speaker forum and it is good to see the enthusiasm for Klipsch products.  If you don't like reading thru the signature, just go on to the next post.  I certainly don't feel compelled to read  thru all the signatures.

• Like 2

I've not been on here for a few weeks and seem to have missed some wild happenings! In anticipation of an extremely busy amp restoration and build season starting in the fall, I'm in the process of moving the shop to more spacious quarters (and, no, I'm not in business). So, if I understand the gist of this topic, forum participants who are in business can no longer put their commercial URL in the signature line of their posts or try to induce forum members to purchase their products (and it's common knowledge that commercial forum participants have often, very sneakily in my opinion, slipped in pricing of their products as well as cost of options, and so on). I think that's a terrific idea! Why should Klipsch support free advertising for commercial vendors even if their products are compatible with Klipsch speakers? I remember when Ken, owner of Analog Engineering Associates, was run off of the forum by those who accused him of trolling for business (and one of the guys who was very outspoken is the owner of a competing business). And, that was in spite of his making some very valuable contributions to the new tubes section. So, why is everyone so upset and trying to find loopholes to get around this policy change? Maybe I'm getting too old to know what's really going on here, so can someone explain it to me?

Maynard

Because some people just can't follow the rules.

So why are those people allowed to hang around? If you can't read/understand the rules before you post or after you've been warned, then they should be given a long timeout. If it happens again, delete/block their account and all their posts.

And if you look at most of these posts and locked threads, it's almost always the same group of 5-10 people who like to "stir the pot" or post a "before it's locked" comment... Just send them on their way (permanently).

• Like 1

If you don't like reading thru the signature, just go on to the next post. I certainly don't feel compelled to read thru all the signatures.

If I may add, one can also go to the bottom left and choose "Themes."  The IP.Board Mobile version removes all the fluff including the signatures and just displays the thread content.  I've found it a good way to read long threads from start-to-finish.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

This is pretty weak. One of the reasons I love Klipsch speakers and the brand, especially the heritage line, are all the cool aftermarket modifications and upgrades you can do to them. I have come across some really cool Entrepreneurs here and am happy to check out their sites and support them. Its part of what makes this place a community and that loyalty extends outward to the people I know and recommend Klipsch speakers to.

Oh, go ahead.....wouldn't be the first time!!

Actually, I'd prefer that you threw some really nice 6L6GC's at me.....

That, ironically, would need to be proceeded with you throwing some tubes or cash at me.

Cash I have...but I don't think that I have the right tubes you desire...

What year did the forum start? I remember when I sent a letter to Klipsch asking about a club I still have the letter. I will bring it to the meet. I have been here close to the start of the forum and glad its here. If Klipsch lays down rules we need to follow them or we may be with out a forum and that would be bad I think. Would it be ok for lets say Mr. Crites to say on here .... PM me about parts for your speakers.....would that break rules??

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have heard the word "clique" used on this forum fairly regular, mostly in an accusatory, negative manner. This is the definition according to Webster: "a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons; especially : one held together by common interests, views, or purposes." In that sense we are all part of the clique.

I think what you do see is a group of members that have travelled hundreds, or even thousands of miles in very short periods of time, to get together and share their love of Klipsch and all things audio. From that effort life long relationships and friendships have been formed.

This is the main reason I agreed to be a planner for this year's event. I want everyone to have the opportunity to experience what we have experienced. We have been to Hope, AR too many times to count. We've toured the plant, lab and museum numerous times. We continue to attend to see our old friends and to meet new friends that we've only just "talked" to here on this forum. This experience is the roots that hold this forum together. Those of us that have attended these events realize how fragile Klipsch's presence is in Hope, AR and how easily that, and this forum could be lost. The friendships we have formed there go a long way to really making this forum what it is. I wish each of you would make a conscientious effort to attend this year's 70th Anniversary Pilgrimage. I think it's important for Klipsch to see our commitment.

If you have a problem PM a moderator, PM Chad, but before you jump over our heads to Chad's boss or higher, give us a reasonable amount of time to address the issues. We can't always correct something within 24-48 hours, sometimes it takes longer to fix a problem, to make sure that it's really fixed. If you don't like it here, please move on. If you have a issue with a member PM them, get on the phone, talk it out and be an adult. You may be really surprised how much of a difference talking to them and not at them will make.

This is a perfect example, some folks already looking for loopholes to break the new signature line rule. Just a waste of time. Just follow the rules. They aren't complicated, or move on.

The members of the moderating team go out of our way, sometimes spending needless and countless hours to calm petty conflicts and resolve insignificant complaints. However, when doing so, we make every effort to remain impartial, never making a decision until we are all in agreement. It's frustrating when we are accused of favoritism.

Personally, I am not what would be considered an audio "geek". In fact, most of the technical discussions are way over my head. I am a "people person" and those friendships that I've made are what continues to draw me back. Many of you have become like family to us.

This forum is an extension of my home, I allow you to visit everday, therefore I expect everyone to behave accordingly. Should Klipsch not expect the same?

Edited by dtel's wife
  • Like 4

• Administrators

If you have a problem PM a moderator, PM Chad, but before you jump over our heads to Chad's boss or higher, give us a reasonable amount of time to address the issues. We can't always correct something within 24-48 hours, sometimes it takes longer to fix a problem, to make sure that it's really fixed. If you don't like it here, please move on. If you have a issue with a member PM them, get on the phone, talk it out and be an adult. You may be really surprised how much of a difference talking to them and not at them will make. This is a perfect example, some folks already looking for loopholes to break the new signature line rule. Just a waste of time. Just follow the rules. They aren't complicated, or move on. The members of the moderating team go out of our way, sometimes spending needless and countless hours to calm petty conflicts and resolve insignificant complaints. However, when doing so, we make every effort to remain impartial, never making a decision until we are all in agreement. It's frustrating when we are accused of favoritism.

Thank you so much for this.

Also, I'd like to point out that it basically says the same thing in our Terms of Service / Rules (linked at the bottom of every page here)

Klipsch Discretion

The Klipsch Community Forum and its assigned agents reserve the right to remove a post which does not relate to the topic being discussed in the forum. In addition, the Klipsch reserves the right to organize discussion forums in order to best serve the majority of our members. For example, narrow-interest or minimal activity topics may, at Klipsch's discretion, be relocated to a more appropriate discussion forum, or deleted entirely. The Klipsch Community Forum or its assigned agents also reserve the right to prohibit or delete discussions that are thought to violate applicable law or that may be harmful to other members, the sites that comprise The Klipsch Community Forums or the rights of Klipsch or others. That said, we cannot ensure prompt removal of offending discussion forum posts. We also reserve the right to remove your membership from you should you violate these Guidelines.

Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is impossible for Klipsch to review all messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that Klipsch does not actively monitor the contents of all posted messages and is not responsible for any messages posted. Klipsch does not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and is not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of Klipsch or any entity associated with Klipsch. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. Klipsch has the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if it is determined that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately, in fact, we may not edit or delete posts that break our rules at all. We have many time constraints on us and cannot guarantee that we will be able to edit or delete posts that break the rules/user agreement. If you do not agree with this then do not view or register for the Klipsch Community Forums. Although this Discussion Forum does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at the Klipsch Community Forums reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Klipsch Community Forums, Klipsch Group, Inc., Voxx International, Invision Power (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We at this discussion forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

I know 99% of our members realize that all we want to have here is a nice, fun, helpful community that can talk about a large variety of subjects and even share their opposing opinions without being a d#@k about it. Unfortunately there are always a few bad seeds in the garden from time to time, and that's just the nature of online message boards. I've been a forum admin a few other places over the past 15 years or so and it's always like that. Because this is the first time that I do it as part of a job I get paid for, I have to take it a bit more seriously especially when people start emailing or otherwise contacting my superiors here over ultimately tiny insignificant things, thereby wasting those people's time and making Mount Everest out of the tiniest of molehills.

I appreciate everyone's understanding.

And by the way, the Website URL field in your member profile is a perfect spot to put a website URL! There's even a "My System" field in which you can list your system.   ;)

• Like 3

I agree with the point that Jason str made. I would think that the few complaints that need to be made should be on the open forum, where all can see. 

Bitching to someone behind someone else's back instead of talking to them directly is about the most chicken s**** way you can go about things.  It happens more than you know by people whom you'd least expect.  Peoples forum persona is many times different than their actual one.

• Like 2

I've not been on here for a few weeks and seem to have missed some wild happenings! In anticipation of an extremely busy amp restoration and build season starting in the fall, I'm in the process of moving the shop to more spacious quarters (and, no, I'm not in business). So, if I understand the gist of this topic, forum participants who are in business can no longer put their commercial URL in the signature line of their posts or try to induce forum members to purchase their products (and it's common knowledge that commercial forum participants have often, very sneakily in my opinion, slipped in pricing of their products as well as cost of options, and so on). I think that's a terrific idea! Why should Klipsch support free advertising for commercial vendors even if their products are compatible with Klipsch speakers? I remember when Ken, owner of Analog Engineering Associates, was run off of the forum by those who accused him of trolling for business (and one of the guys who was very outspoken is the owner of a competing business). And, that was in spite of his making some very valuable contributions to the new tubes section. So, why is everyone so upset and trying to find loopholes to get around this policy change? Maybe I'm getting too old to know what's really going on here, so can someone explain it to me?

Maynard

Because some people just can't follow the rules.

So why are those people allowed to hang around? If you can't read/understand the rules before you post or after you've been warned, then they should be given a long timeout. If it happens again, delete/block their account and all their posts.

And if you look at most of these posts and locked threads, it's almost always the same group of 5-10 people who like to "stir the pot" or post a "before it's locked" comment... Just send them on their way (permanently).

We've already had this discussion several times, and the powers that be have decided there is nothing of the sort like this happening. The problem is that the people who have stated it more than a few times have been excommunicated from here, and not the ones who've made the snide remarks before the thread was locked.

This is one of the reasons I have pulled back myself on posting or commenting. My opinion is that if someone posts a link or website and it doesn't knock anyone else or their competition it should be allowed,especially if they are helping the overall forum. But when it attacks someone or their business it should be squashed and that person banned. But that doesn't happen as the same people who attack are still here,while the others have left,either of their own accord or by "management".

I also agree the few complainers are the ones that have things taken away from the forum, I say they should have the balls to put it out there for all to see. If not they should either shut the F-up, or leave the forum. You don't like a post or website, move on to the next post. You don't like a person's signature or quote,don't read it again after the first read. You don't like a person's name or avatar, don't focus on it.

For a bunch of adults on here we all act like high school kids when we don't get our way.

I don't agree with how some people on here do things, and I know there are people who don't agree with me, but it's their right to be the way they are. I just choose to ignore their posts or comments,or scroll past them when reading a thread.It's that simple.I don't send emails to mods or corporate or threaten taking legal action with corporate. I just move on or stay off the forum for awhile.

• Like 1