Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer humming

Tobias

Hi. 

I have humming noise from my R-115w (2 units)

I try with different cables, no luck.

If power switch is on, but the amp didn't turn on, no hum.

If amp turns on, with or without rca cable = hum.

If I turn the crossover to 40, no hum, in LFE mode = HUM.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

If I turn the crossover to 40, no hum, in LFE mode = HUM.

Usually ground loops don't go away by changing the crossovers. Does it persist if you move it around? Maybe some kind of RF interference? Also where is your gain set? Sometimes amps can do weird stuff if you max out the gain.

Does your plug have 3 prongs including a ground?  The ones over here don't even have a ground prong on the receptacle.  I'm not entirely sure that a ground loop is even possible with such a thing.  Often times you can (unsafely) kill a ground loop by using an adapter that eliminates/defeats the ground wire.  If you don't even have that in the first place I don't know if a ground loop can occur.  

A ground loop also usually has to have a connection with the other equipment.  If it happens without the RCA's hooked up I don't see how it would be a loop.  

Never heard of a ground loop that doesn't involve a ground wire, doesn't involve interconnected cables, and that goes away when you change the crossover frequency.  There's a first for everything though.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

If plugging your subwoofers in with the rest of your system does cure your problem your next step should be a ground loop isolator.

Do you have cheater plugs (2 prong) available over there ?

Edit  My experience is based in the USA, not very familiar with your electrical systems over there.

Edited by jason str

Try plugging a Y adaptor into both inputs.

Yes, same issue.

It still hums with 2 prong outlet and no RCA hooked up ?

Yes, considerable less, but yes.

Maybe some type of interference issue.

Try disconnecting your antenna first, if that does not solve it disconnect your components one at a time while checking if it makes any difference.

If the subwoofers hum without the input RCA's hooked up it probably be a ground loop issue.

Odds are against both amplifiers having the same problem.

not really. There are numerous threads of the new r-xxx subwoofers with humming amplifiers.

Just want to rule out other possibilities before condemning the amplifier.