Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer humming

Tobias

Finally, I bought the gorund loop in Argentina, installed =  AWFULL noise, it's 100 times more hum noise...  :wacko:  :angry:

Monday gonna try to replace, maybe defective? I don't know...

Edited by Tobias

Same thing.

Removes the ground causing the hum.

Another way to do it is to install a heavy gauge cable between component grounds so the current causing the hum flows through your newly installed wire rather than your RCA cables.

Current will flow through the path of least resistance.

Edited by jason str

I found this:

A simple mains hum remedy is grounding/earthing the subwoofer back panel to the amplifier.

Most amplifiers have a GND (ground or earth) terminal on the back panel for this purpose.
This Ground terminal can be connected to a small diameter electrical cable (bell wire) between this terminal and the subwoofer back panel.

Carefully remove one of the outer screws on the Subwoofer amplifier panel, remove a small amount of paint (under screw head) in order to make a reliable electrical connection. 

A small ring crimp can be used to terminate the cable on the subwoofer panel.

The sound was reduced. 

There are only 2 pins on the power back of the subwoofer, maybe it could be replaced... I will search more.

Thanks jason!

That is exactly what i was referring to in my last post.

A good ground loop isolator is best but this method will greatly reduce your noise if done correctly.

Use good ends and heavy gauge wire if you plan to use the ground wire method.

You could even remove the amp and drill out a hole in a safe place on the amplifier plate and throw a nut and bolt through it for best contact.

• Like 1

Finally, I bought the gorund loop in Argentina, installed =  AWFULL noise, it's 100 times more hum noise...  :wacko:  :angry:

Was that thing really $215 as in American dollars?  Holy cow I've never seen one cost that much.  Even high end Jensen isolators that don't have the rolloff that the cheap ones do can be had for less.  Ones that work just fine in cars can be had for like $15.  They just have super low and super high frequency rolloffs.  

The ones labeled for cars work for home use just fine otherwise.  Not that I think you have a ground loop.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

215 "pesos", about U$S 14.

Maybe it's defective, I'm gonna call today.

I tried with speaker cable (I don't know the gauge) and the noise it's almost to zero.

Bought 4mm electricity cable and it's the same, maybe more mm? I don't know.

Was that thing really $215 as in American dollars?  Holy cow I've never seen one cost that much.  Even high end Jensen isolators that don't have the rolloff that the cheap ones do can be had for less.  Ones that work just fine in cars can be had for like $15.  They just have super low and super high frequency rolloffs.  

The ones labeled for cars work for home use just fine otherwise.  Not that I think you have a ground loop.  

If a ground loop was not the problem the extra ground cable would accomplish absolutely nothing.

Well folks, the guy form the electrical store said that more gauge than 4mm won't change anything.

I put two 4mm cables (one on each sub) and a copper terminal at the sub's chassis only (one on each sub).

Pure cable at the amp's GND.

Almost zero noise.

I don't know what was the issue, the electrical installation of the house is the same that when I bought the subs...

By the way, tested the ground loop isolator after I installed the cables, no difference, it didn't raise the hum, either put the hum to zero.

Thanks guys, specially to jason!

Regards from Argentina.

• Like 1

If a ground loop was not the problem the extra ground cable would accomplish absolutely nothing.

If it was an actual ground loop, first of all a ground loop isolator wouldn't make the problem 100 times worse, second of all he wouldn't experience the issue even when the two components are not plugged into each other. Neither one of these issues make any sense in terms of what a traditional ground loop is.

If it was an actual ground loop, first of all a ground loop isolator wouldn't make the problem 100 times worse, second of all he wouldn't experience the issue even when the two components are not plugged into each other. Neither one of these issues make any sense in terms of what a traditional ground loop is.

A ground loop isolator should not add noise in any circumstance.

Sounds like a faulty part.

If there is a issue with the home wiring or something causing noise in the home there could be and was ground hum.

Just because it is not a run of the mill case does not mean that is not what it is.

Grounding the receiver to the subwoofer greatly reduced the hum, this tells us it is a ground loop issue.

Grounding the receiver to the subwoofer greatly reduced the hum, this tells us it is a ground loop issue.

Could it not also be said that you grounded the chassis of the amp which eliminated the magnetically induced eddy currents? That's not quite the same thing as a loop but the hum will be about the same, and grounding the chassis will fix it.

For a loop to exist you have to complete a circuit between two devices which provides an alternative path to ground, which usually means interconnected RCA cables, which he specifically said he did not do yet was getting a hum anyway. That's what I can't wrap my head around.

Regardless, I'm glad it's fixed.

The amplifier chassis should already be a ground.

Noise without the RCA cable hooked up could well be something causing it in the homes electrical system or the subwoofer amplifier, i think we went through this step already on this thread.