Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer humming

Tobias

My 115sw's occasionally do this same thing. Normally if I moved the subs out a foot or 2 and put them back it quits. It's picking up some type of interference from one of the multitude of electronics or led lighting I have in the room

I found a little difference: no rca, minimum hum. WITH RCA (2 different cables) = hum

One more test.  Do this, except don't plug the RCA into the receiver, just the sub.  Does it still happen?  Just wondering if the RCA is working as an antenna.  

I found a little difference: no rca, minimum hum. WITH RCA (2 different cables) = hum

One more test.  Do this, except don't plug the RCA into the receiver, just the sub.  Does it still happen?  Just wondering if the RCA is working as an antenna.  

yes, same noise!

it's like an old refrigerator

If that's the case you've got some kind of RF interference.  Try to move the sub around and keep the gain low as a temporary band-aid until you figure out what is going on.  

If it were a ground loop, the noise wouldn't happen until you plugged in the RCA cable into the receiver.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

If that's the case you've got some kind of RF interference.  Try to move the sub around and keep the gain low as a temporary band-aid until you figure out what is going on.  

If it were a ground loop, the noise wouldn't happen until you plugged in the RCA cable into the receiver.  

Most common but not always.

Great article i found with other related links on this subject. >Here<

"Ground loop is a condition where an unintended connection to ground is made through an interfering electrical conductor. Generally ground loop connection exists when an electrical system is connected through more than one way to the electrical ground."

That's what's tripping me out though, there is no extra conductor, he isn't completing a circuit with the RCA cables, there is no "more than one way" going on. You've got two components plugged into the wall, that's it. If those two components were interconnected with an RCA cable then it hums, that's the definition of a ground loop, because the ground potential between the two is different, and the RCA cables are completing a circuit, making one component inadvertently ground itself through that cable.

If plugging RCA cables in to the sub but not completing the circuit by plugging into the amp actually makes it worse, I would think that this either means you have a bad RCA cable, or that cable is acting as an antenna. I think he said he tried two different cables though.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

In this case it may not be in the audio system, i do not think the OP ever unplugged anything else for testing.

Sure sounds like a ground issue.

Your RF theory should be able to be tested by wrapping the sub in aluminum foil after you put electrical tape over the input or anything else that can short out by doing this.

Personally what i would do to make this easy is take one of your subwoofers to a friend's house with a known good working subwoofer and replace it with your Klipsch subwoofer.

If it hums there it is your amplifier that is faulty.

No hum, you have a issue with your electrical.

I found something: 

Noise reduced when Denon AVR-A100 is power off in stand-by mode.

The Denon is 110v, with a "transformador" to 220v.

Maybe the receiver is dirtying up the power somehow?  Do you have another receiver you could try?  

got any dummys?

I don't know what is that.

I found something: 

Noise reduced when Denon AVR-A100 is power off in stand-by mode.

The Denon is 110v, with a "transformador" to 220v.

Maybe the receiver is dirtying up the power somehow?  Do you have another receiver you could try?  

I don't have another receiver or amp (by now)