Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer humming

Tobias

• 11 months later...

Ok I may have the answer for you. Not sure that this is what is being to referred to as a ground isolator or not , but I found a simple ground fix to the hum. I purchased 2 r 115 sw and had both humming hence odds of a fault were not typical with the unit. I put 2 screw slide ends on a wire to test this ground issue after seeing the ground isolator theory and had success. 

Attach one end to the sub by simply loosening a screw on the rear amp panel. I attached the other end to a screw i loosened and re tightened on the receiver and presto it was gone on both subs. 

Now to decide how much it bothers me that one sub has a functioning LED light and the other doesn't lite up..... Grrrr. Never thought I would have multi issues with a couple of high end Klipschs. I have had synergy subs for many years and was tempted by the 400 watt 15 and I will say a pair of these are beast...

Also FYI my units are powered through a power filter and cap power unit to clean and protect the attached hi fi hardware so I would of never thought this possible , but I guarantee if you hum this will kill it .

JD

• 11 months later...

HUMMING HUMMING HUMMING....I have an Denon AVR-590 and i recently purchased the Klipsch R-10SW sub. The Sub has Red/White inputs so I bought RCA Audio Red/White cables. Denon has a single sub output so I bought a Red/White to single output thingy to connect to Denon. After connecting the sub , a tremendous amount humming was present. Regardless of which setting I had the Gain or Low Pass set to, humming persisted. I reset the Denon to factory settings, still humming. Sub was plugged into UPS and I plugged it into wall, still humming, All the steps I had taken thus far is what I read on various message boards. As I type now, my sub is hitting so hard that the cops should be coming any minute.

Here is what worked after talking to Klipsch Tech Support (who have terrible hours to call in but are the nicest).

1) Even though Klipsch has Red/White inputs, only connecting the Sub white intput to Denon Sub output is required. My AVR-590 has RCA Red/White outputs but these ARE NOT for the sub.

1. I connected SUB RCA White input to Denon sub ouput and humming went drastically down, but was still present and persistent. 
  2. At the advice of Tech Support I purchased a Mediabridge Ultra Series Subwoofer cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FVYXY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $9.99 and plugged the sub into a different wall outlet. 
  3. Switched cables, plugged in Sub Cable into White Sub input and into Denon Sub output and PRESTO (praise jesus) the humming went away completely, regardless of the Gain or Low Pass settings. I even plugged in back into the UPS and still no humming. 

The only problem I have now is I have to find all the things in my apartment that rattle because of the bass.

I hope this is helpful as I cussed so much getting to this point that if you had a swear job, I would make you rich.