Tile floor bad for theater/music room?

AaronB123

You might try to lay some blankets around where you think the best spot for the rugs might be. It would be much cheaper than buying rugs to experiment.

That's actually a really good idea! 

Your room might be fine with a little EQ. Just curious, will you have a sub with your La Scalas?

You might try to lay some blankets around where you think the best spot for the rugs might be. It would be much cheaper than buying rugs to experiment.

That's actually a really good idea! 

Your room might be fine with a little EQ. Just curious, will you have a sub with your La Scalas?

Yes I do currently I have the Velodyne CT-150 paired with it. Later on down the line I may upgrade to the Klipsch R-115SW

Put the blanket under and in front of the speaker.  This will help with floor bounce.  When it comes to treating rooms, find a happy compromise.  I certainly am not going to put bass traps, absorbers and difussers in my family room.

Yea the boss will not allow it :)

Put the blanket under and in front of the speaker. This will help with floor bounce. When it comes to treating rooms, find a happy compromise. I certainly am not going to put bass traps, absorbers and difussers in my family room.

When you say floor bounce do you mean the way the speakers wobble when on a tile floor?

• 1 year later...
On April 20, 2016 at 2:48 PM, AaronB123 said:

I have to be honest I really don't believe I know enough to get into the manual mode and change things around. I really would have no idea what I was doing and might end up doing more harm than good. 

One thing that I do when letting the avr do it's auto calibration which is a little trick I learned on AVSforum is tape the mic to my forehead so it's really right in the sweet spot of the listening area instead of putting it on the headrest of the couch where it states you should put it in the manual. Is that a bad idea? Of course, I don't cover the mic with tape or anything like that. 

You're not going to screw it up and if you do you can reset it and start over.  Here's a good place to start.  It gives you step by step instructions for MCACC.  http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1112470-official-pioneer-mcacc-thread.html  

Don't tape it to your forehead.  I took a furring strip, made an "L" with it and tape the microphone to the horizontal portion at ear level and wrap the vertical part with a  towel and wedge it between the sections of my sectional.  I have a tiled room where I have my set up too.  You won't be able to eliminate it all, but you can do a lot and get decent sound.  I have an area rug but because of the way the room is set up the area to walk through is where the first reflection point hits the tile.  I have panels catching the rear reflections and side ones and that gave me a noticeable improvement.  Helped with clarity and a lot of the background detail.  I just put some small round felt pads from Home Depot, under the RC-7 center channel since it's on a mahogany table and under the RF-5 towers and it didn't improve audio clarity but I'm hearing a lot more detail.  I watched parts of the second and third Transformers movies and I was hearing details I never heard before. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...