UV rays

Never really had real and natural wood veneer in a room that had lots of natural light and expect to have them long term but now I do.  Wondering how bad the sun is going to fade them with stray UV rays over the course of several years, and if there's anything that can protect them at all.  This is in regards to the 70th anniversary Australian walnut.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I'd suggest window tint to block 99% UV.  I don't worry about indirect light...just direct sun hitting them.

You might swap them once a year so they both get the same light exposure and whatever happens will happen to both.

My final suggestion is to just enjoy them!  

• Like 3

Sounds crazy but before I put drapes in my living room, I covered my cherry RB-75's with pillow cases.

You could have custom "speaker sock's" made with an elastic trim to grip at the bottom.

s-l300.jpg

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 2

I don't worry about indirect light...just direct sun hitting them.

They are on the north-ish side of the house, plus all windows are under large covered porches, so direct sunlight can't hit them. Problem is though, they are in a 1,000 square foot room that is chock full of windows on both sides.  This room is naturally lit pretty good during the day.  

To give you a good visual, they are sitting under the windows in this picture.  Direct sunlight is impossible but diffused indirect light over several years may be an issue.  

10347801_10152250798039401_3330862545178

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators

I'd suggest window tint to block 99% UV.  I don't worry about indirect light...just direct sun hitting them.

You might swap them once a year so they both get the same light exposure and whatever happens will happen to both.

My final suggestion is to just enjoy them!  

That's what I was thinking, indirect I wouldn't worry just no direct sun.

I don't worry about indirect light...just direct sun hitting them.

They are on the north-ish side of the house, plus all windows are under large covered porches, so direct sunlight can't hit them. Problem is though, they are in a 1,000 square foot room that is chock full of windows on both sides.  This room is naturally lit pretty good during the day.  

To give you a good visual, they are sitting under the windows in this picture.  Direct sunlight is impossible but diffused indirect light over several years may be an issue.  

10347801_10152250798039401_3330862545178

With porches i would think your fine but the good thing is with indirect light from all angles they should all change equally if at all ?  :lol:

Sounds crazy but before I put drapes in my living room, I covered my cherry RB-75's with pillow cases.

You could have custom "speaker sock's" made with an elastic trim to grip at the bottom.

s-l300.jpg

Bill

That is very cool, the only thing i would worry about is if you had cats that may make them think it's a big scratching post !  :)

• Moderators

So the answer is play them more and enjoy them,  it's just speakers, in 20 years they may have a slight different shade but will still sound good........ since there not in actual sunlight shining in the window

My speakers would only be covered a couple hours a day and when I sleep, there playing the rest of the time, like now......OK i'll stop now  :blush2:

I think it is true that sunlight through window glass will cause some bleaching.

However, it seems to me that ordinary window glass does block most UV.

I was wondering about the skiing folk who lay out in the open to get a tan in cold weather. Shouldn't the resorts build some sore of hothouses for them? I conclude that you can't get a tan in a hothouse because the window glass blocks the UV.

I also read that Richard Feynman watched the Trinity explosion just sitting in a car having some confidence the windshield would block the UV.

Ahh, but you say, what about UV lamps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood%27s_glass

WMcD