RIP Prince

oldtimer

RIP Prince.

Seems to me that if there is a musician that you want to see perform live you ought to go see them ASAP.

They might be gone before the end of the year. I'm just sayin" . . .

Wikipedia says Prince has sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time. He has won seven Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, and an Academy Award. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, the first year of his eligibility. Rolling Stone has ranked Prince at number 27 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. 

Edited by blindman
  • Like 2

Too bad....best thing I could say about him is I don't know much about him. That's actually a pretty good thing to me, it shows he never went out of his way to offend people. His music to me is a non starter but he had talent as a performer.

Dude was a pianist, organist, besides a guitarist (its been said that there wasn't an instrument that he couldn't play).  Not a fan of his subject matter, but his musicality and ability to compose was on the level of Stevie Wonder. A lot of his grooves come straight from African American Gospel music (much like Ray Charles, and several others did). A one of a kind talent indeed. 

• Like 3

Remember seeing his guitar strap break while lip synching on Band Stand. Not bad thing to do, most of them did, admitted Mr. Clark.

First I ever saw a picture of him (no music yet) was in a girl's locker in 10th grade. Only thing I could think was "Who is THAT weirdo?"

But he did more than his own music. He helped other musicians, Stevie Nicks comes to mind. She was having trouble finishing a song she was writing, when Prince came over to her house. He wasn't there very long when he came up with this fast moving back-beat and then recorded a sample. He, then, "got on his motorcycle and rode right out of my life" she said. Never asking for money or credit or.....

That Stevie Nicks song was "Stand Back".

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 3