RIP Prince

oldtimer

This unfortunately has Heroin written all over it.

Prince was notoriously straight edge his whole life.  I heard on an interview that he was suffering from arthritis, and the implication was that he had indeed started taking opiates, and as anyone who has used such for pain management knows the risks involved.  All conjecture at this point, but I don't think it necessarily means heroin or that he did the Charlie Parker thing.  That was never his style, ever.  

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 2

It appears that Prince sometimes had bad pain due to hip injuries due to jumping from stage risers while wearing high heels.

Opioid painkillers are very effective, but dosage has to be carefully monitored.  Over time, the dosage can be increased as needed, but on a bad pain day, it's easy to lose track of how many pills have been taken.

• Moderators

My understanding, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, in his Party room or some call "Nightclub" in his Home ((Paisley Park), there was NO alcohol available.

Lars

Last time I was there he had plenty of Pappy Van Winkle

Just kidding, I would have no way of knowi g.

However, Angus Young is a very famous non-drinker. Pretty rare for a Scotsman.

He was unique in every way.

and so were each and every one of these but they don't appear as lead "NEWS" items on every morning show, sport show, face book, forum...................

According to the United Nations, 2,473,018 people died in the United States in the most recent year data is available, 2008. That means 6,775 per day.

• Moderators

He was unique in every way.

and so were each and every one of these but they don't appear as lead "NEWS" items on every morning show, sport show, face book, forum...................

According to the United Nations, 2,473,018 people died in the United States in the most recent year data is available, 2008. That means 6,775 per day.

Was I the only one old enough to remember Elvis dying, Freddie Mercury, Whitney Houston (I was waiting on a jury verdict and we watched the funeral in Judge's chambers on national tv on a Saturday as I recall), Eric Clapton's son, John Bulishi, John Lennon. I think what is puzzling to many isn't why the hype over a celebrity dying, why the hype iver Prince.

He died before his time, it makes us mortal. He was a major pop star that was a generation or two after many of us and we can't relate to his popularity.

He sold over 80 million records, 50 million in US That attracts a news audience, and news is business. If CNN doesn't have it, someone else will.

Edited by dwilawyer

My understanding, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, in his Party room or some call "Nightclub" in his Home ((Paisley Park), there was NO alcohol available.

Lars

Alcohol and street drugs would be taboo per his religion. Prescribed painkillers, if involved, probably less taboo.

• Moderators

Lars

Alcohol and street drugs would be taboo per his religion. Prescribed painkillers, if involved, probably less taboo.

Pain meds wouldn't be taboo at all. The only thing that would be taboo as far as medical treatment would be a blood transfusion.

• Like 1

I agree with dwilawyer.  It's the "before his time" aspect that makes a death, which is nothing unusual and will happen to all of us, into a tragedy and a loss, in the case of people we hate to lose.

Another famous musician died this week, but I've already forgotten his name.  He was a country and western player, and was in his late eighties.  In those cases, the person will be missed, but people will ask if he had a life well lived, and say "rest in peace", and move on.

When a person dies decades earlier than would be expected, there's a wrongness to it.  When my younger brother died twelve years ago, my father said to me, "A parent shouldn't have to bury their child.", and he was right.  In a way, it violates the circle of life.  The circle of life concept is one way to help grieving people accept the loss of their loved one, but that tool is not available when the situation goes a different way and someone dies young.

As it happens, the loss of my brother is part of the reason I'm on this forum.  I'd always had what I considered to be adequate sound systems (we called them "stereos" back then), but wished for an actual high-end system that would go well beyond "good enough".  Then I lost my brother to cancer shortly after his fifty-first birthday.  I loved him like a brother, and still miss him every day.

That loss made me think of my own mortality, of course, so I decided that the "some day" I might have a great stereo was today.  I replaced my old 1977 Yamaha receiver with a newer one, bought a used Technics SL-1400MK2 turntable, and was on my way.  About six months later, I was in the local vintage stereo shop and saw a pair of La Scalas.  I'd dreamed of having La Scalas or Belles as early as 1971, and here were La Scalas in a shop that might have affordable prices.

I had the La Scalas delivered to my home two days later, and the next month I discovered this forum.  To make this long post a bit shorter, the rest was history.  I made new friends, learned much more about home audio than I'd ever known, and two years later I was listening to bi-amped JubScalas.  The system continued to evolve and improve, and it continues to please and impress me.

The moral of this story is that sometimes you should just go for it without delay, and get the object or objects you've always wished for, or the experience you've always wished for, while you still can.  For all of us, our days are numbered, but we don't know the number.  Do it, and do it soon!

• Like 1

Lars

Pain meds wouldn't be taboo at all. The only thing that would be taboo as far as medical treatment would be a blood transfusion.

That is not actually correct. More orthodox members of his religion will refuse any and all medical treatments. Court orders have had to be sought here where children under the age of 12 were denied treatment in Alberta by their parents, even in some cases for ailments that can be successfully treated in nearly 100% of the cases.

Religion, as Lenin said, is the drug of the masses.

Edited by Wolfbane

• Moderators

Lars

That is not actually correct. More orthodox members of his religion will refuse any and all medical treatments. Court orders have had to be sought here where children under the age of 12 were denied treatment in Alberta by their parents, even in some cases for ailments that can be successfully treated in nearly 100% of the cases.

That is a total myth and you ate way off base, unless they are completely different in Alberta. Before you embarrass yourself further on this issue I suggest you read the AMA.article that is widely available.

You are confusing his religion with Christian Scientists.

They undergo heart surgeries,.knee surgeries, every kind of surgery there is available. Procedures were developednin Houston by Debake and Cooley to.allow their children to have open heart surgery without violating their religious convictions. There are even.surgeons who belong to his religion. It is only transfusions that they are against as a universal doctrine.

I will see if I can.find the article to post so this misconception doesn't get spread furthwr.

• Like 1

Yeah this sucks, been meaning to try and buy some of his albums as of late.....Was gonna buy one with a glowing jellyfish on it, thinking it was his new one, figured i would go back and listen to some 30-90sec previews on iTunes before buying....It only came out like 3 or 4 years ago i think, but since then he came out with like 4 new albums. He really has a long list of original music....Cheers to Prince :emotion-22:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:...He was definitely always weird enough for me to always want to watch when he was on TV, you never knew how he was gonna dress or what the hell his stage was gonna look like, or what kinda song he was gonna sing...I'll miss him... :unsure:

Lars

That is a total myth and you ate way off base, unless they are completely different in Alberta. Before you embarrass yourself further on this issue I suggest you read the AMA.article that is widely available.

They undergo heart surgeries,.knee surgeries, every kind of surgery there is available. Procedures were developednin Houston by Debake and Cooley to.allow their children to have open heart surgery without violating their religious convictions. There are even.surgeons who belong to his religion. It is only transfusions that they are against as a universal doctrine.

I will see if I can.find the article to post so this misconception doesn't get spread furthwr.

Perhaps this artical will enlighten you: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2528596/

Excerpt: "A 2002 Alberta case involved a 16-year-old patient (case 1) with acute myeloid leukemia, subtype M1; she received 38 transfusions under court order before her death (1). A second Alberta case (case 2) in 2003 upheld a court order to transfuse a 16-year-old with dysfunctional menstrual bleeding who required a dilation and curettage (2). In a third case (case 3) in British Columbia in 2005, a judge ordered that a 14-year-old girl with osteogenic sarcoma be transfused if her condition abruptly deteriorated and as adjunct to the oncology treatment, which had a 70% chance of success (3)."

The proscribed treatment for Treatment for AML often requires stem cell transplant, chemotherapy,  radiation treatment, immunotherapy. Often blood transfusions are also required. The JW parents refused treatment ***of any kind***. By the time the court ruled, the child had deteriored rapidly from her agressive cancer and it was too late to stop and then reverse a fatal decline.

• Moderators

Lars

Perhaps this artical will enlighten you: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2528596/

Excerpt: "A 2002 Alberta case involved a 16-year-old patient (case 1) with acute myeloid leukemia, subtype M1; she received 38 transfusions under court order before her death (1). A second Alberta case (case 2) in 2003 upheld a court order to transfuse a 16-year-old with dysfunctional menstrual bleeding who required a dilation and curettage (2). In a third case (case 3) in British Columbia in 2005, a judge ordered that a 14-year-old girl with osteogenic sarcoma be transfused if her condition abruptly deteriorated and as adjunct to the oncology treatment, which had a 70% chance of success (3)."

The proscribed treatment for Treatment for AML often requires stem cell transplant, chemotherapy, radiation treatment, immunotherapy. Often blood transfusions are also required. The JW parents refused treatment ***of any kind***. By the time the court ruled, the child had deteriored rapidly from her agressive cancer and it was too late to stop and then reverse a fatal decline.

Glad you finally got it, they are against transfusions, not medical treatment.

• Moderators

From your article :

"Orthodox JWs

Orthodox Canadian JWs are members of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (WTS), an organization founded in Pennsylvania in the 1870s, which now has over six million members worldwide (11). Generally, orthodox JWs seek and accept the benefits of modern medical care with one notable exception: since July 1, 1945, the WTS has held that blood transfusions, even autologous transfusions, violate God’s will."

I am pretty sure that echos what I said a few posts above and sure is no where near your assertion that "More orthodox members of his religion will refuse any and all medical treatments."

None of those 3 cases in your article involved parents denying their children medical treatment. They were all brought in for medical treatment, and they say the same things to every doctor, "do everything you can, except no blood transfusions."

They will refuse any and all transfusions, and, as mentioned in the JAMA article it linked to, it creates a problem in certain cancer treatments that frequently require blood transfusions.

Howevet, I have yet to read anything where they are against anesthesia, or pain killers of any kind.

They simply are not adverse to medical treatment for themselves ir their children except to when it comes to one thing. Whether that is reasonable, moral, or whatever isn't an appropriate discussion for this forum per the ToS, but I think having the facts corrected about what his faith believes should be.

His talent and popularity are unquestioned. Nevertheless, I'm 67, so his fan base is of a generation younger than my generation, but older than that of my 26 year-old son. Very few of his "hits" are familiar to either of us. The media do seem to be going a bit overboard.

One need only watch the Superbowl show or the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame video, to be convinced of his talent.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1