RIP Prince

oldtimer

They're making TOO BIG a deal of this on TV

Maybe you weren't all that familiar with Prince, but he had a lot of fans.  Really a lot.  Some big acts like Pink Floyd or the Stones can sell out an arena for one night, or maybe two.  Prince booked the O2 Arena in London and filled it for 21 days!  351,527 fans paid to see him.  Nobody else ever came close to that.

Here's some info, including the opening night set list.  Wish I could have been there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Tour_(Prince_revue)

He could play several instruments, was a master guitarist, composer and singer, and helped several other performers get started.

Prince will be missed by many, including me.  RIP.

• Like 6

• Moderators

Do ya think Obama will go to the Funeral?

You can't spell funeral without FUN.

Why are you hell bent on stirring up this thread?

This is your second post in on this topic, the first was a little off, but no big deal, but your latest is tending to show a pattern that some may question what your underlying motives may be.

Several have posted already that they may not have cared for his music, or him, but they did it in a respectful way. Dtel's is a good example.

• Like 6

• Moderators

Remember seeing his guitar strap break while lip synching on Band Stand. Not bad thing to do, most of them did, admitted Mr. Clark.

First I ever saw a picture of him (no music yet) was in a girl's locker in 10th grade. Only thing I could think was "Who is THAT weirdo?"

But he did more than his own music. He helped other musicians, Stevie Nicks comes to mind. She was having trouble finishing a song she was writing, when Prince came over to her house. He wasn't there very long when he came up with this fast moving back-beat and then recorded a sample. He, then, "got on his motorcycle and rode right out of my life" she said. Never asking for money or credit or.....

That Stevie Nicks song was "Stand Back".

I had forgotten about that, she got the inspiration for Stand Back from hearing Little Red Corvette, he came to Sunset Sound and played the synth parts for her.

Here is the story in her own words, it starts at 9 minute mark.

• Like 1

hey--I liked Prince too---Just having a little fun

Didn't Know he was a Sacred Cow here.

Take a Chill Pill--Guys

Your definition of "fun" is somewhat skewed to be honest. Don't think he's a sacred cow, just showing a bit of respect.

• Like 1

I believe you.  Being from the same area, I am often guilty of what my wife likes to tell me is "inappropriate male humor," oddly enough in my case, humor when it comes to funerals.  I don't know why.

I had a thread locked recently due to my mixing politics in.  Your off-hand comment about Obama (which didn't bother me) might have also got some people concerned.  Not that you did anything wrong, but it may have raised an eyebrow or two.

I admit I'm trying to be more sensitive about making off-hand political jokes due to that.

+++

Edit:  Whoops, sorry Chad, I saw your post after making mine.  I'm moving on.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Didn't Know he was a Sacred Cow here.

Take a Chill Pill--Guys

It is NEVER appropriate to "Take A Little Fun" at anyones death period.

Roger

So take a little fun at Rogers expense while you can.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I remember this performance.   One of the best halftimes I've ever seen.

Great link, that is when I really gained a lot of respect for him as a musician. For whatever reason, what I had seen of him prior to that (The Rolling Stones in 1981 in LA where he was booed off the stage), television spots on SNL or whatever, they really never featured his guitar playing.

His initial record deal, at age 18, was for three records where he had absolute control over content and owned his masters (this is unheard of), and he moves to Sausalito, CA (you know which studio is there) and proceeds to make his first lp, playing every instrument on the album, something like twenty of them.

I guess at that period time I was very intent on avoiding "pop" at all costs. My loss.

• Like 1