RIP Prince

oldtimer

The most recent Prince performance I saw was on Saturday Night Live a couple of years ago.  I tried to see it just now on the Rolling Stone site, but that seemed to be jamming up.

This site seems to work.  He sings, plays piano, and switches to guitar.  The second guitar player is Donna Grantis, a Canadian girl.

You can see his 8-minute set on this page:  http://2dopeboyz.com/2014/11/02/prince-performs-saturday-night-live/

Prince was found "not breathing" in the elevator of his estate home.

Sadly the local Fox station here is reporting he was treated for a drug over dose a few days back (most likely Naloxone/Narcan).

What a senseless shame if it turns out to be a drug OD.  I personally was not a big fan of the genre of music he usually performed, but there is no denying that he was extraordinarily talented.  RIP Prince.

They're making TOO BIG a deal of this on TV

Maybe you weren't all that familiar with Prince, but he had a lot of fans.  Really a lot.  Some big acts like Pink Floyd or the Stones can sell out an arena for one night, or maybe two.  Prince booked the O2 Arena in London and filled it for 21 days!  351,527 fans paid to see him.  Nobody else ever came close to that.

Here's some info, including the opening night set list.  Wish I could have been there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Tour_(Prince_revue)

He could play several instruments, was a master guitarist, composer and singer, and helped several other performers get started.

Prince will be missed by many, including me.  RIP.

Led Zeppelin had 20 million request for tickets for their Celebration Day show.

• Moderators

Prince was found "not breathing" in the elevator of his estate home.

Sadly the local Fox station here is reporting he was treated for a drug over dose a few days back (most likely Naloxone/Narcan).

They all seem to be sourcing TMZ on that. Narcan is obviously given for a suspected opiate OD.

A big waste if that truns out to be the case. We have lost a lot of great people, famous, and not so famous, to H, and even more close calls

Remember seeing his guitar strap break while lip synching on Band Stand. Not bad thing to do, most of them did, admitted Mr. Clark.

First I ever saw a picture of him (no music yet) was in a girl's locker in 10th grade. Only thing I could think was "Who is THAT weirdo?"

But he did more than his own music. He helped other musicians, Stevie Nicks comes to mind. She was having trouble finishing a song she was writing, when Prince came over to her house. He wasn't there very long when he came up with this fast moving back-beat and then recorded a sample. He, then, "got on his motorcycle and rode right out of my life" she said. Never asking for money or credit or.....

That Stevie Nicks song was "Stand Back".

He also wrote Manic Monday for the Bangles amongst many other tunes for a slew of musicians. And to quote the late great David Bowie, "boy could he play guitar"
  • Like 2

Been watching some of his performances... Incredibly talented, articulate in interviews, far more intellectual than most would give him credit for. Really enjoyed the post of above with the link for "While my guitar gently weeps".

I was also never a fan of MJ, but rented "This is IT", and found a greater appreciation for his talent. I didn't realize how many albums Prince put out. Such a loss, no matter the cause.

Bruce

• Like 2

I remember hearing "I Feel For You" for the first time (at least that's what I thought) - the Chaka Khan version.  I said those synth chords sounds just like something Prince would do!!! Then I remembered the first piece of vinyl that I had ever won from a radio station (WCHB - Detroit Michigan). It was Prince's debut album that featured the smash "I Wanna Be Your Lover" or it was "Soft and Wet" ....what was also on that album was "I Feel For You"!!!! 

As an aside - I didn't have a lot of money when I grew up - so I had to win all of my vinyl (I had the fastest fingers in Detroit...some of my winings included

Debarge

Prince

Leo Slayer

Booty's Rubber Band 

Frankie Beverly and Maze

Faze-O

and the list goes on and on!!!! Folks I was young then...like a pre-teen!!!!! Loved music though!!!! I was listening to the complexity of the arrangements more than the words at that point in life. Played all types of percussion except a full set - congos, bongos, glockenspiel, xylophone, if you lived in Detroit in the 60's and 70's ....you played something!!!!  

Edited by prerich

Regardless of the cause, he was incredibly talented and I have listened to his music since he hit the scene which was completely opposite of what I had listened to in the past, but he was, as some others had mentioned, a much better player than most people understand.  I own many of his recordings and there's a ton of stuff that I really like and as many that I couldn't stand, but that just showed his diversity and love of music to move beyond what might be commercially profitable and do what he wanted.