Upgraded VRDS Sale SOLD

A1UC

Paul, do you feel McIntosh is not on the same level of quality as the VRD's/NBS? I've heard and owned some very nice Mac equipment over the years (both tube and SS...modern and vintage) and frankly, I miss that sound signature quite a bit now that it's gone. Never heard Craig's designs but always wanted to.

Paul, do you feel McIntosh is not on the same level of quality as the VRD's/NBS? I've heard and owned some very nice Mac equipment over the years (both tube and SS...modern and vintage) and frankly, I miss that sound signature quite a bit now that it's gone. Never heard Craig's designs but always wanted to.

Can't wait for this reply :)

Can't wait for this reply :)

I am guessing he will say that the difference in sound between VRD's with MQ iron and Mac stuff is so close as to be of no consequence ?? :blink:

It is transparency, emotional content, palpability.... McIntosh gear sounds great, don't get me wrong, especially the newer Mac gear. But tubes just get you closer. Closer to the real IMO. This coming from a guy that works on Solid State for a living.

• Like 1

It is transparency, emotional content, palpability.... McIntosh gear sounds great, don't get me wrong, especially the newer Mac gear. But tubes just get you closer. Closer to the real IMO. This coming from a guy that works on Solid State for a living.

Also other things come into play , like speaker sensitivity , I will guarantee you your pearls would have much more punch with solid state and more wattage .

I think VRDS would be great for Klipsch speakers at 65W but will fall short with a more demanding speaker .

I'd love for you to hook up my Rogue to your pearls , I bet you would be surprised

Edited by A1UC

Dude, I work on solid state. You miss that part? I have hooked up every solid state amp you can think of damn near, and the VRD's do just fine.

Yes, solid state is punchier, NO QUESTION. That is what it does best. However, I get more focused and tuneful bass with the tubes in my system.

Sensitivity of the speaker means very little. It is how easy of a load the speakers present to the amplifier. The Pearl's are some of the least demanding speakers on the planet, sensitivity be damned.

I listen to solid state in the hottest summer month's. I like solid state. But I love tubes for critical listening.

Edited by paul79

Dude, I work on solid state. You miss that part? I have hooked up every solid state amp you can think of damn near, and the VRD's do just fine.

Yes, solid state is punchier, NO QUESTION. That is what it does best. However, I get more focused and tuneful bass with the tubes in my system.

Sensitivity of the speaker means very little. It is how easy of a load the speakers present to the amplifier. The Pearl's are some of the least demanding speakers on the planet, sensitivity be damned.

My pearls never sounded so good , hey all that matters is your happy

Wait speaking of Pearls , I was going to buy a pair but some guy stole them right from underneath me :)