Is the RF-7ii going away?

Grizzog

The tweeter is less piercing and has a thicker and more comfortable tone on things like cymbals. That's the most noticable thing. Thought I had a pic of me comparing them in my theater room but I guess it was the 260.

That thicker tone is what I'm curious about. The heritage line has a thicker tone, but the RP is more open. A combo of the two would be awesome.

Just look at the size difference between the RP 280 and the RF 7 II.  The woofer and tweeter size jump out when they are compared next to each other.  There are things the RF 7 II can do that just aren't possible for the RP 280 to do as well.  Both are nice speakers but, the RF 7 II's has been a long standing flagship speaker for good reason.

The Icon W, X and V series use flowered horn and I would think their sound would be closer to the RP line compared to the Reference line.  I owned the I con VF 35 and 36 and loved the speakers.  There is no way that they can be the RF 7 or 7 II's for 2 ch or movies.  No way, no how!

Edited by derrickdj1

The icon series is now the reference line. It has that type of horn as well, albeit a bit modified.

The RP horn is ~7-7.5 inches vs the RF-7ii's 8 inch. Driver size on the 7 is .75 inches bigger though. But horn size isn't too much bigger...

What intrigues me the most is the 1200hz crossover for the horn which is the same as my 19s. To my ears, that presents a wonderful blend. Two 10" woofers is about equal to a 14" driver, so pretty close to the 15" of the 19 as well.

take a look at the pro compression driver used in the RF7 then at the tweeter used in the RP280. Consider that when you jump from a one inch diaphragm up to a two inch diaphragm the distortion will then be half of what the one inch unit is. So there is a one inch tweeter in the RP280 and a 1.75" diaphragm  in the RF7. For any level you choose to play the RF7 is going to have close to half the distortion of the RP280 tweeter.

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-k-67-dv-tweeter-for-rf-7-128027/

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-reference-premiere-tweeter-1060814/

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2

• Moderators
Had to try them. I have an addiction...

No, you have a killer setup!  I know it's not a fair comparison but would be interested in hearing your comparison between the two models as I have yet to demo any of the RP series.

• Like 1

I'd like to score a pair of 7/2's in walnut

Good luck with that, Billy! I have the internals for one, and a damaged walnut RF-7ii exterior/housing if you're interested in that. Still not sure what to do with it, honestly. Someone with some skills in a woodshop could easily fix the housing.

The tweeter is less piercing and has a thicker and more comfortable tone on things like cymbals. That's the most noticable thing. Thought I had a pic of me comparing them in my theater room but I guess it was the 260.

That thicker tone is what I'm curious about.

Play this on both and pay attention to the cymbals.  Would be better to have the original movie though, not sure it would have the same effect on a youtube vid.  With a good recording there is a distinct "CRASH" vs. "PSSSHH".  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I hope to get some time to do a review soon.  They are both fantastic speakers.

...I also don't know where some reviews are coming from saying that the RF-7ii are bass shy.  I am running them with an NAD T758 and there is an incredible amount of bass at low and high volumes. (Not bloated or anything, but just awesome.)

• Moderators
I also don't know where some reviews are coming from saying that the RF-7ii are bass shy. I am running them with an NAD T758 and there is an incredible amount of bass at low and high volumes. (Not bloated or anything, but just awesome.

I've not read any reviews of them being bass shy myself (although I haven't read many reviews). 

They have every bit of as much slam as the original RF-7's and the RF-83's.  I could not tell a difference in the amount of bass or the quality of bass between the three speakers.

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-1.jpg

I currently have just the RF-7ii setup in my 15' x 25' with 12' ceilings living room that is in an open concept home adjacent to the kitchen, dining room and home office.  I had the RF-7ii cranking this weekend for 4 hours during my daughter's 13th birthday and they absolutely rocked!  I would have loved to have brought one of my four RSW-15's into the living room to add to the bass but the RF-7ii were not lacking in any way.

Michael,

What three models are those lined up in your living room? I've only had LS and Heresy speakers, and heard Khorns. (I did hear Cornwall IIs in Indy, but thought the bass was a little too boomy, but they thought someone had messed with the eq in the room).

Bruce