What amp(s) if you had to decide

boricua2480

I'm looking to add an amp or 2 to my setup. I've got the reference premier 280's up front and I'm looking to hear from those who have run ant of the amps I'm looking at that have been tried and true with klipsch for music. I've been looking at the following:

Emotiva XPA-1's, XPA-2, SA-250,or XPA-1L's

B&K reference 2220,220m's,7250,7270,200.5, 200.7

ATI 1506, 2505, or any other

Rotel RB-1090, RB-1582 MKII

And others I can't think of right now. Anybody ran these and your opinions? I appreciate any info.

I'm curious if your amps you guys have mentioned have the audible hiss that I've grown accustomed to with just using receivers wit my epics and reference premieres. Now that I'm looking at running an amp to power them, I want a low noise floor but also depth and imaging.

I have four of the Emotiva XPA-2's in both Gen 1 and Gen 2 form plus I have a pair of Gen 1 XPA-1's. If you can afford to do it, go for the mono blocks. I have had really great luck with the amps and they pair nicely with all of my Klipsch speakers. Absolutely no hiss or hum with any of my amps.

Tim

Edited by teaman

B&K reference 2220

I have this amp and like it. Plenty of power and clean ss sound.

For a while I was driving my RF-63's with the previous generation B&K EX4420 and it was a very solid musical "warmish" amp that sounded good with the 63's but better with my Heresys.  After I bought an Acurus 200FIVE(the one that Derrick mentioned), I traded the EX4420 for a Revel B15 subwoofer and the Acurus got full time in HT duty.  Soon after I added an Acurus A250 and the B&K was soon forgotten.  Believe me there was nothing wrong with the B&K but the Acurus showed it's strength when I ran the 63's without a sub and the bass drive and detail improved significantly over the B&K.

With all that said, the ATI amps would be my choice over the others mentioned.  Very neutral sound signature and quality build and parts like the Acurus amps that I am so fond of.

Bill

Edited by willland

I JUST PURCHASED a set or VRD's made by NOS Valves. I hope that are all they are cracked up to be.  Other than that you can read through some of my posts. I have been looking for amp nirvana for a long time.  Its best if you can buy, try and return or sell. It costs money sometimes, but it is better to do that then stay stuck with something that is not pleasing to your ear. 

With that said everyone listens differently.

I will throw this in here.  Buckle up!  READY.... SET... GO...  ok are you ready?   I found a almost new Yamaha Aventage RX A 1030 on CL for cheap.   ( OK I SAID IT ....THATS RIGHT I SAID IT...... PHEW) At the time, i had very little money ( and never thought I would be able to afford better.  Strange thing is that Intergrated amp has caused me to return a FW F6, a set of QS horn mono-blocks and an Emotiva  300w per channel amp ( can not remember the m/n)  They were all very good. But the yamaha got me 90% there. I could not see spending $2000 for such a minimal improvement.   I have khorns and they respond to good music sweetly and bad music shows up real fast. 

FWIW... if you care to go out on a limb.. I just found out about the Yamaha S3000.  I am betting that thing is amazing. And well it should be at the price they are asking!  You can buy and return at no cost. But to enter into that arena requires seriously deep pockets.   I do not have deep pockets.  If the VRD's don't do it for me, I will sell them and save up for the S3000.  If that gets sent packing... I am done looking... for sure and with out question.... Jus-sayin' 

Edited by 2Bmusic

It's not always the big names or high horsepower amps that dictate your satisfaction with an amp or any component for that matter. Have no guilt in that respect. I've owned VRD's - twice. Yep they are good amps and very much liked on the Forum. But no matter what you paid for or how much power they provide does not mean they will be your "nirvana".

For me, in my room, with my particular KHorns I much favor either my 5 watt EL84 single ended or the 3.5 watt Wright Sound 2a3 single ended monoblocks. Has nothing to do with the perceived quality or investment of your new VRD's its all going to come down to how and what YOU hear, not what what the Forum tells you what you should hear. Just because you buy then sell a piece doesn't denigrate the virtues of said piece it just says that particular component wasn't your cup of tea. Either ya like it or you don't - it's your rig and your $$$ - making it your decision. Good luck -

• Like 1

Ended up with an ATI AT-2505. I've read good things. Can't wait to hear it.

Did you get the one on Audiogon?  If so, that was a very good deal.

Bill

Yep, Stalked it on audiogon until I decided on it. Should be here tomorrow. 

Well UPS did a TERRIBLE packing job and the amp is ruined. Scratches, chips, and internal pieces falling out of the amp, amp going into protection, etc. The box was 3 times the size of the amp with peanuts surrounding the amp, which was wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and a flat piece of cardboard on top and bottom. That thing took a beating going from MD to IL.

Well UPS did a TERRIBLE packing job and the amp is ruined. Scratches, chips, and internal pieces falling out of the amp, amp going into protection, etc. The box was 3 times the size of the amp with peanuts surrounding the amp, which was wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and a flat piece of cardboard on top and bottom. That thing took a beating going from MD to IL.

Brother, I am so sorry to hear that.  I am mad for you. :angry:  Some people are just clueless.  I would never let UPS/Fed Ex pack my gear for me, especially a 100lbs amp.

Notify Audiogon and the seller ASAP and provide detailed photos.

This is how you pack an amp.  One of my Acurus A250's I sold to a forum member.

Bill

post-24680-0-39840000-1462495090_thumb.j

post-24680-0-64200000-1462495123_thumb.j

• Like 1