Made my first speaker stands

parlophone1

I needed speaker stands customized according to my listening area and fitted exactly for my speakers.

Since I cannot find anything near to required measures at the stores I decided to do the stands myself. My speakers are in the bedroom so I had to overcome the height of the bed and adjust the height of the speaker to my height of view. Therefore the stand height is 32 inches.

I took approach similar to the Skyline speaker stands, two plates made of wood tied together with iron rods and put on the spikes.

For wooden plates I took two thickest Ikea meat cutting boards I could find, glued together in three layers of bamboo wood. Upper plate is cut to the dimensions of the base of the speaker. Threaded iron rods are fitted into 3 inches PVC pipes that are at the end of the assembly filled with quartz sand but not completely. Spikes are made of hardened steel. The seats for spikes are chiseled into the bottom side of the wooden plates.

Since I made these during the winter when temperatures are low and I could not wait for paint on the PVC pipes to dry (the legs of speaker stands), I finished them with self-adhesive foil in grey color. Not as good as paint but I can do that later.

At the end the speakers are put on vibrapods.

2___DSCF1143___1_zps7d2nuu1l.jpg

1___DSCF1341_zps9kmpouzs.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks,

well this is nothing fancy. Stands serve the purpose, made cheaply but sturdy and look better to my eyes than what I could buy localy (especially for that amount of money) :) .

About the turntable, what cart are you using with Philips?

I bent my original philips needle the other day when cleaning the turntable. I was thinking about new Ortofon 2M red.

Edited by parlophone1