Prince Dies at 57 Intestate?

Wolfbane

One would think with his management and legal team(s) someone would have not only the foresight but the common sense to have such a vital part of his estate legally bound.

Ironically our attorney phoned today for us to pick up our recently amended will/trust documents. We are not of Princes' means.

And an FYI for those who think a legal will is the means to keep your estate from probate that is a mistake. Team that with a family trust for peace of mind against government/probate intrusion.

For me and I guess I was redundant is government = probate. Probate courts are of the government. And the surviving family problems will stem from probate decisions caused by inadequate after life preparations.

None of you got my post.  I am in a situation where probate has been avoided through a revocable trust.  It is the surviving family that is the problem.  Quite frankly, probate would have been better.

When it comes down to it, the government is the least of it.

Edited by oldtimer

• Moderators

The government is the least of it. The real problems are with the surviving family.

Aint that the truth, sometimes you want it in probate for that very reason.

Also, with young children it is sometimes better to go with probate than living trust. Even with a family trist/living trust, most folks forget to get every asset into the name of the trustnand you end up having to probate part of it anyway which is why a pour over will is done just in case.

• Moderators

Picking an independent, knowageable and sophisticated trustee is the real key. If you have a family member who is accountant, business owner or lawywr that will do, but if the trustee is your wife's sister, who might be great mom if she has to yake over, but no business or financial experience, you are dooned.

• Like 1

* Set up POD "payable on death" on all financial accounts

* Transfer title to real properly to others (with survivorship if needed) while everybody is still alive

If a person has done the above, the probate process have been avoided.

Edited by JL Sargent

• Moderators

* Set up POD "payable on death" on all financial accounts

* Transfer title to real properly to others (with survivorship if needed) while everybody is still alive

If a person has done the above, the probate process have been avoided.

Not necessarily. While that will eliminate a lot of it, it may not be how you wish to distribute your estate. Minor children? Power of appointment?

The main problem for Prince's heir is federal estate tax. Planning could have reduced that significantly.

I am ignorant of Prince's personal life. Did he have children? If not who gives a rat's azz. where your assets go after your dead.

Sorry, googled it, he had a son but the child died. Hmmm... maybe that is partially why he did not care about having a will.

• Like 1

Guess I should have clarified "for most people".

"power of appointment" seems like rare fish indeed. Much like Prince himself.

My mom passed a few years ago and the above advice had been given to me by Coytee before hand. It worked like a charm. ;)