Prince Dies at 57 Intestate?

Wolfbane

• Moderators

Guess I should have clarified "for most people".

"power of appointment" seems like rare fish indeed. Much like Prince himself.

My mom passed a few years ago and the above advice had been given to me by Coytee before hand. It worked like a charm. ;)

If you have no beneficiaries who are minors it works perfectly. If the estate is less than than the Unified Credit it works perfectly as well. If you have children, or a large estate it is going to take more sophisticated planning.

For me and I guess I was redundant is government = probate. Probate courts are of the government. And the surviving family problems will stem from probate decisions caused by inadequate after life preparations.

None of you got my post.  I am in a situation where probate has been avoided through a revocable trust.  It is the surviving family that is the problem.  Quite frankly, probate would have been better.

When it comes down to it, the government is the least of it.

Sorry to say I faced a similar situation when my Father passed away years ago....nightmare.

For me and I guess I was redundant is government = probate. Probate courts are of the government. And the surviving family problems will stem from probate decisions caused by inadequate after life preparations.

None of you got my post.  I am in a situation where probate has been avoided through a revocable trust.  It is the surviving family that is the problem.  Quite frankly, probate would have been better.

When it comes down to it, the government is the least of it.

Sorry to say I faced a similar situation when my Father passed away years ago....nightmare.

Yup.

• 1 month later...

Carl, you might want to do a little reading about Fentanyl....just sayin.....

Maybe he fell into a room full of patches then.....................................................  Drug abuse isn't my strong suit, guilty as charged.

Edited by CECAA850

Young people are dying from opioid overdoses at an alarming rate. it's easy to suggest moral weakness as the cause, but simplistic.

Many become addicted to prescribed pain killers and then seek out cheaper, but more dangerous, street opioids to feed their addictions. Former military and ex-athletes with chronic pain, concussion induced CTE and the like are disproportionately represented among the deaths from drug overdoses. Surgeries, such as the hip surgery Prince had are frequently the star down the slippery slope of addiction.

My take on the problem has changed a lot due to all too close experiences with a sister and college friend. Addiction causes the tail to wag the dog. Behavior that seems absurd to a sober person seems like a sustainable plan to an addict.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Carl, you might want to do a little reading about Fentanyl....just sayin.....

I think he is focusing on the word "accidental". In the ME world an overdose is either "intentional", "accidental" or "undetermined". "Accidental" simply means is that in that ME's opinion suicide was ruled out. Depending on the ME, it could also mean that the ME determined that there was no delay in calling for emergency medical response when the person was found. In that context the use of the word "accident" is unrelated to whether or not the deceased intentionally ingested a particular substance or not.

Michael Jackson, on the other hand, was ruled a homicide, because an third-person contributed, in some way, to the death. That the third-person intended to do to the deceased is not factored in, only that an "outside agency" was involved.

My take on the problem has changed a lot due to all too close experiences with a sister and college friend. Addiction causes the tail to wag the dog. Behavior that seems absurd to a sober person seems like a sustainable plan to an addict.

I couldn't agree more. 

I have personal experience with Fentanyl after several surgeries, and I guarantee that it is very easy to misjudge dosages.  It is an extremely powerful and dangerous drug.

Edited by jimjimbo